Top critical review
3 people found this helpful
Quality not as good as expected
on 27 April 2016
Here are the various categories based on which I am giving a 3 star rating to this product.
1. Item delivery: The product arrived within the estimated delivery time provided by the seller. The delivery consists of 2 boxes.
2. Packaging: The product packaging was satisfactory. There were items in one of the box that had moved around during delivery but that is to be expected.
3. Assembly instructions: I found the instructions included with the product to be detailed and easy to follow. All items mentioned in the documentation were present in the delivered boxes.
4. Assembly: I would not call myself an expert at DIY but have put together a few items similar to this table in the past so am not a complete novice. From start to finish, it took me roughly 5 hours to assemble the complete table. One suggestion would be to use a screw driver other than the one included in the box. While the included screw driver does have its use, especially, towards the end of the assembly when you need to tighten a few screws and are cramped for space, for most part a larger screw driver would make things easier.
5. Product quality: This is where I found the product to be lacking, so much so that if there was a 2.5 star rating available on Amazon, I would have most likely gone for that. Here are reasons for rating on the low side.
a. When I started putting together the drawers, I noticed that the laminate was slightly chipped on one of the corners. I did not think to much of it as I knew that when placed in its intended location in the room it would be in the corner and would hardly be noticeable. Half way through the assembly I noticed similar damage on the face of the compartment that houses the CPU.
b. As I kept on assembling the table, I noticed more and more marks on various parts of the table. I am sure that with use over time a lot of scratches would end up on this table but it would have been nice to have a clean product to begin with.
c. While the visible corners of the table are rounded, the corners/edges of the drawers are extremely sharp. And I mean sharp as in capable of giving you a nasty cut so exercise care while opening and closing drawers.
d. In the item that I received, the markings of where the drawers sliders were to be attached on the side wall does not seem to be correct. Hence one of the drawers does not sit perfectly straight. I am able to open and close the drawer without any issue at all, it is just that it is not perfectly straight.
e. The face of the left side of the table (that would be the left side wall of the table next to the drawers) is not finished nicely at all. I am reluctant to use anything on that just in case it would make matters worse. As was the case with the chipped laminate of the drawer, that particular side is going to be very close to the wall so hopefully would not be too noticeable.
f. There is slight damage to the floor of the compartment where the CPU is supposed to go. It does appear to be because of the nut that was added to base of the table. This would get covered by the CPU so I am not too bothered because of it.
I went for this particular item because I found the design to be quite practical, which I still believe is the case. I am just wondering that considering similar design tables are available from a different manufacturer as well and for a slightly cheaper price, if I would have been better off going for the cheaper option. I have a feeling that the finish quality would not be too different.
Just one more observation, I do think that the finish of the actual product is slightly darker than what appears in the photographs. This actually was beneficial for me as it matches the floor in the room.