on 23 April 2016
Not once did my interest or eagerness to read on wain in this excellently well written and cleverly crafted series. The final message from Warden Dios to Morn had me in tears as she was. The characters are so well developed and realistically complex and I love the way that their role changes from villain to hero, from victim to heroine. Recommended strongly.
on 19 May 2017
All the loose ends of this complex and highly entertaining series are neatly tied up in this engrossing novel.
on 5 September 2017
see my review of book 3. Buy this.
on 20 May 2010
I came in to the Gap series from reading Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but thankfully I was borrowing a friends books so I didn't have to wait for the next one to be published/arrive in the post. This series is without doubt one of the most exciting and intense pieces of science fiction I've ever read. The first two books are slower and very dark, whilst the third starts to explain and add pace. This fourth book kicks the story forward. It's pacey, fascinating and a book that I was unable to put down.

This book also starts to slowly unravel the politics and how the characters are being used. All in all it's a riveting read and you have to make sure that you have the fifth book waiting on the shelf.

If you've already read the first three and are just ordering this one then you know what I'm talking about. If not, do yourself a favour, go back to "The Real Story & Forbidden Knowledge" and wallow in this amazing series.
on 24 October 2011
I've read a lot of fantasy and science fiction but for some reason I'd never read Stephen Donaldson. The Gap Sequence really makes me wonder how that could be.

It's hard to describe the visceral experience that reading this series creates. The tension between the characters and the intricate sub-plots are extremely well crafted but the best example I can think of is that reading these books is like watching a particularly enthralling film. It almost engenders the same kind of response as not being able to watch a part of a film because you just can't bear to know what's going to happen, but you still have to watch it anyway. Conclusions to grand space operas are tough to pull off - but Stephen Donaldson does an exceptional job. You're hoping that things will turn out in a certain way, but are never quite sure whether they will or not.

The first book in the gap sequence is very, very dark indeed - but if you can cope with that, then this exceptional series should be a must read for any sci-fi fan.

As a point of interest - the first 'book' in this series includes the first two parts of the sequence - which is why book 4 is the fifth and final part of the sequence. That might be obvious, but it sure confused me...
on 26 October 2013
I read this when it was first published, which meant waiting for each book to come out. This time I have read it all the way through on Kindle. I remembered the main characters but had forgotten so much of the plot. The main thing I remembered was that it was one of the best SF series I had ever read and on the second reading I haven't changed that opinion - it is up there with Asimov and Arthur C Clarke.

I have also tried reading the latest Thomas Covenant books having enjoyed the for two chronicles and can only observe that if Morn Hyland had been the heroine rather than Linden Avery, the story would be over by now, much to everyone's relief.
on 7 April 2014
The whole series is a cliffhanger and this last instalment is no different. Donaldson is a master at making you want to read on. Plenty of late nights and longer than intended reads.
on 14 March 2014
If you like science fiction novels, this is the best. Having read science fiction novels for over 50 years, I have to say that this is the best I have ever read
on 20 October 2012
This is the only book I have ever waited outside a bookshop for on the day it was first published. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I have since read the Gap series three times (a first for me) and will no doubt read them all again. They are brilliant. The best set of books I have ever read, and I've read a lot. They are so exciting you don't want to put them down. There is hardly a dull moment, it's action just about all the way. Highly recommended.
on 3 February 2013
I read this series quite some time ago and it ranks up there with Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation Series' as one of the best space opera series that I have ever read. If you are a sci fi fan don't miss this series. Its a shame that a) a lot of the books are out of print these days and b)The author has decided to concentrate on Fantasy rather that Science fiction - what a waste of a brilliant author :(