on 27 November 2013
Mr. Burrows writes beautifully. His content is not going to be for everyone. I once shared the opening scenes of 'Withnail and I' with a bunch of people who found it sad and upsetting that grown men lived in such squalor. If you are with them, don't read this, or any of his other books. I read Running with Scissors every year or so, and it is still fresh and interesting. This set of essays is sometimes lighter in tone (I'm thinking the broken dog, and his sojourn in London) but not always. It is laugh out loud funny, though, if you like your humour on the dark side.

Don't worry about the moral, just enjoy the ride. I really like Cynthia Heimel's essays on life too ('If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead yet' etc) and there's the same kind of subtext - someone who knows themselves really well, and can be amusing and honest at the same time. I am a big fan.
on 9 May 2007
I'm never disappointed in his books. I always find myself chuckling out load and in awe with his wit. Like the above review, I did find myself questioning some of his accounts. But I checked into his website, and found what I was curious about is true.

If you're questioning whether to buy this book or not, give 'Running with Scissors' a try first. Trust me, you'll end up buying his other books soon after.
on 29 January 2007
Another "laugh out loud" work from the current master of cynic/egocentric humor. If you loved any of his other books (i.e. Running with Scissors, Magical Thinking, etc.), then you are sure to love this hilarious follow-up collection of short stories. As Augusten takes you from one corner to another in his insane past experiences (buying defective dogs, suffering torrential nosebleeds, taking holiday at an inn creepily decorated with one too many dolls), you will find yourself quickly and happily moving along. Though I find myself more and more often questioning the accuracy of his accounts, I am willing to admit I don't really care. Keep 'em coming, Burroughs.
on 27 March 2014
Third book I've read by this author and it's as good as ever - quite a feat. These glimpses into his childhood make you realise he could only ever be one thing and that's a writer. A very very good writer too. He's awful, funny, honest, perceptive and a great storyteller. I think I might be tempted to buy a fourth which is unheard of as I've usually become bored by now.
on 1 January 2008
I just loved this book and finished it quickly. I went to the store to buy Clarence Thomas' new memoir and saw this had come out. If this was in hardcover, I missed it, but I grabbed it the second I saw it!

Augusten Burroughs is one of the funniest writers and most enjoyable to read. I've read all his books and would recommend them all thoroughly. There are many things to praise about Burroughs. Among them is his self-deprecating humor. He wants to be a good person (he is actually a good person) and fights the negative thoughts he has almost constantly. He's a bit insecure. I think he used to be a bit unlikeable, but he's grown up a lot in this book.

When I read Laurie Notaro's first book, I loved it. When she grew up, however, and wrote her second book, she just wasn't funny anymore. That's not the case here. Burroughs has actually gotten better with age. He faces his fears, he is more honest than he used to be, he struggles with issues like the rest of us, but does all he can to be the best person he can be. And, he writes about it with spot-on insight and humor.

All of the book is excellent, but the vignette called Moving Violations was completely hysterical and a definite must-read to anyone who appreciates Burroughs' writing and the weirdness of life.
on 18 March 2014
I love running with scissors and Augusten Buroughs other books, this is maybe not so good. Although he still writes with wit and I did giggle in places. I feel after Running with scissors it is hard to write a book to match it. Worth while reading though.
on 27 May 2014
A Frank, sad, sometimes funny but always entertaining
This book looks behind the alcoholic., telling how he got there
and proving it is possible to function in everyday life.
Revealing, thought-provoking, and honest.
on 11 April 2014
Clearly I need a humour transplant as I have not found this book as funny as I had hoped. Commics relate life and exagerate a point until it becomes funny/ridiculous; these true stories evoke the response "Don't we all".
on 29 July 2013
I loved this book of short stories. Extremely funny and moving. I wish it was longer and I wish Augusten Burrows lived in Willesden so he could be my friend.
on 21 July 2014
Took this book on holiday with me despite never having read any of his books before. My boyfriend slated his previous book but this had me literally laughing out loud on the plane, something which I never do with books. Can't wait to read more of his stuff