Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 7 February 2012
I liked this book, but im not sure its 5* !

This book is not really going to tell you much about being an entrepreneur, but it is easy to read, with some though provoking sections. You get the idea that the author really has just done as he pleased and his success has come from a really laid back attitude, without regard for hard nosed business planning....so it was a bit of shock when he starts to talk about his 'business coach' at the back end of the book !

The author openly states he was .....right place, right time..... with his business proposition, with little thought of the gap in the market that he stumbled upon ! Its always difficult to buy into the entrepreneur flavour of the book after this....but I liked it and im sure you will too.
on 13 September 2011
This book takes about an hour to read but it will probably change the way you think about life.

Lots of people I know want to be entrepreneurs. Lots of people I know are entrepreneurs. Not enough of the people I know have worked out what is important in their lives. This book by Derek Sivers will probably help them work out what is important to them.

I read this book on holiday. I left it lying around one evening and the next morning a lawyer came up to me and apologised for 'stealing' the book but he had seen it on a table and picked it up out of curiosity. He was thinking very hard about leaving his firm and becoming an entrepreneur. This book persuaded him he shouldn't. He didn't have the passion for it.

I bought a few copies for people I know that I know are struggling with hard things in their business and personal lives. Without exception, they have come back with a fresh perspective and bought a copy for someone else they know.

It is hard to define what makes this book special. I am about as far from a wafty, softy new age person as you can get. It just offers some great and fresh perspectives on life. You don't have to accept it all as truth.

I enjoyed it, and enjoyed giving it away to people so much that I bought 380 extra copies for the attendees at Business of Software this year.

You also get free access to a whole load of music that is pretty cool too.

Anything You Want
on 21 November 2012
I bought the audio book via Audible.co.uk as a part of the membership. It is only 2 CDs, however so informative. I have listened it twice in my car. Derek recorded it himself. I suggest you buy an audio book. There is so much more you will get out of it by listening his intonation and voice. It is brilliant!

It is a very simple story which I bought into. The guy (Derek) started as a pro musician, sold some of his music CDs on the gigs and concerts and then decided to sell it on-line. He set up the web-site himself and started selling his music for fun. Then, his friends started asking him to put their work for sale. He did that. Then more asked about the same. He charged them $50 for putting it on a web-site. And it took off like crazy.

Derek shows how he took care of CD Baby customers, how business grew despite him wanting staying small. He really focused on infamous musicians and never signed up any big names. He gives the lessons in recruiting and tells how he sold the business. In the book Derek asked to contact him to share the feedback or to ask questions.

So, I visited the web-site and loved it even more - his book reviews are the best I have ever seen. His life principles are inspirational and he lives them.

I sent him e-mail asking for advise. To my amazement, he replied. In his true "customer care" spirit he provided a ton of valuable information to me. He is like a gift to the stranger. I can't describe him in any other way.

Well done Derek!, well done my friend!
on 16 July 2014
This book is short and sweet. I read it in two sittings. He doesn't pad it out for lengths sake and I love that. He sounds like a top bloke and I'd love to meet him one day and shake his hand because he's just inspired me to shift my focus which has gone astray a little recently. He's a philosopher, not a business guru with tricks and tips .... From what I can tell he seems a genuine guy and wanted a genuine, soulful business. More people should follow suit and the world would be a better place.
on 2 August 2011
It's easy to mistrust a set of five-star reviews. As I write this, all the reviewers that have gone before me have also given this book five stars.

Deservedly so. It is a little gem with a lot of thought-provoking insights for anyone determined to make a success of their own business. Sivers comes across as man who is not just smart, but wise as well. It's short, well-written, and well worth reading if you own or aspire to own your own business.
on 26 August 2013
Read it without an idea of what it might be about. Liked the length- it got to the point quickly. Nice insight into someone's business- cant imagine it being that helpful to someone lookin for business advice
on 8 July 2011
Not just a book about building a business, this is a beautiful story of living life. Forget the self help, Power of Now stuff. Read a real life example of how to be happy.
on 19 July 2013
What a great little book! Unpretentious and concise. Derek has really learnt the art of putting his message across with as few words as possible, making his thoughts clear and hard to misunderstand. If you want to break out from the rat race read this book!
on 14 April 2015
This is my second reading of this book, not sure why I never left a review last time but I think perhaps I needed to be ready to hear the insights. I think there are a lot more new entrepreneurs with 'accidental businesses' than when Derek wrote this book. I would count myself one of them (ish), so if you find yourself at the edge of a new online business adventure, this is well worth a read.
on 30 September 2014
The author shares his experiences and values with us.
Many have had more and more varied experiences but few have managed to state their business values so succinctly.
Useful material but all from his personal experiences rather than a well thought-out concept.