Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 9 August 2017
Opinions are divided on Amazon but I've watched the film three times now and still say it's up there with The Ipcress File, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold and others. Director Tomas Alfredson got the look and feel just right in my opinion. Wardrobe and props looked as if they'd been lifted straight out of the old tv series "Callan". The muted colours, authentic looking locations and real characters brought a sparse but clever script to life without the need for gunfire, fast cars and explosions.

I also thought Gary Oldman's deadpan portrayal of George Smiley was spot on and Kathy Burke clearly relished her delivery of one of the best lines in the history of cinema.
on 3 August 2017
I bought both this film (2 hours) and the series (5.25 hours) with the intention of keeping the best one. Both are very good and hold the interest throughout. However I think the series (though more dated) superior to the film which is constrained more by the running time, having less time to present all the nuances and also jumps about more.
on 13 June 2017
I love this film. Great cast including the best of british being tom hardy, benedict cumberbatch and toby jones as well as the wonderful john hurt and gary oldman oh and a rather dashing colin firth and a brilliant mark strong. The plot is twisty and turny and keeps you watching. Great film.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 July 2015
Reasonable Film & I think everything that's been said here already has merit, so I`ll just comment on the picture quality:

I watched the blu-ray version of the film and what was very noticeable was how noisy the picture is which would be due to upgrading from a less than HD quality film stock, so I would advise buying the DVD version where that noise should not be apparent.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2017
I have not read the books, heard the BBC4 radio show, or seen the TV series. So judging the film alone, it is superb. The acting is first class, the soundtrack is great and overall had me gripped for the entire movie.

The only caveat is the miss matching chess pieces, though I suppose there was meant to be some kind of subtext that I have missed.

All in all great film, perfect for a quiet evening.
on 8 July 2017
Deep plot, superlative performances and a gripping narrative that actually gives some insight into how our intelligence agencies become compromised, this is not a fast food film, you need to be paying attention to appreciate the layers, Gary Oldman was outstanding, highly recommended.
on 19 May 2017
Great film! When we watched the series several years ago we were quite confused by the storyline but , after having watched it as a film, it now makes sense!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2016
First off, I want to say that I own the book, the 7 part Tv series, the BBC4 audiobook and this DVD of the film. I'm not trying to make out, I'm some kind of expert, (I know I'm not!), but to make the point that each is unique and has to be judged on its own merits. They are all in a different medium and are distinct, although the source material is obviously the same. I mean what is the point of critically comparing any film to its book?
Anyway, I approached this film in that way, on its own merits and I think it is very accomplished. The acting on show is first class, with turns from Firth, Hurt, Cumberbatch and Toby Jones and Tom Hardy. At the centre, Oldman is very good as the introspective, cerebral, Smiley. There is a terrific little scene early on, in a car, where there is a wasp or bee buzzing around inside the vehicle. Whereas the other occupants flap their arms around trying to shoo it away, Smiley simply watches it and calmly opens his window to let it fly out. It nicely frames the character of the man in a simple scene with no dialogue.
The identity of a spy in MI6 is slowly revealed as Smiley, methodically, pieces the clues together.
(As a side note, the lives of these people really don't seem very appealing to me at all. just a life of suspicion and subterfuge, with a bit of paranoia and loneliness thrown in, at no extra cost).
I gave it 4 stars out of 5, not as a film adaptation of a book, but as a film. It is very well made, the acting is top-notch and it has a gripping story. Ticks the boxes for me.
33 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2017
Cracking, tense movie that's only getting one star from morons who expect explosions, gadgets and fast paced action and don't have the intellect for a good, deep thinking thriller.
on 29 April 2017
Very quick delivery,great price very happy 😊