on 28 October 2017
I have not read the book nor seen any TV series - as a first timer watching this film, it was extremely enjoyable and clever. Obviously not perfect, it raised a few questions and the ending felt rushed and unexplained in parts. Nonetheless still highly entertaining and leaving you guessing to the very end.

I was shocked to find over 100 persons who gave it one star, but when I read their reviews I understood that the novel has many fans who must have been heart broken when it did not meet expectation and the characters lacked expected flair.

Amazing cast with some of my favourite actors, BC never disappoints!
on 27 December 2015
Again great movie.The classic Alec Guinnes Tv version stays, but this is different. Geat Gary Oldman and as great John Hurt draw another point of wiew..Colin Firth makes new version of Haydon. Magnificent epochbuilding in all aspects. The classical story is told again with some differences but the big drama is present. Maybe the humilated Smiley now once got his honour. This film really worth for watching.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 July 2015
Reasonable Film & I think everything that's been said here already has merit, so I`ll just comment on the picture quality:

I watched the blu-ray version of the film and what was very noticeable was how noisy the picture is which would be due to upgrading from a less than HD quality film stock, so I would advise buying the DVD version where that noise should not be apparent.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 March 2017
I have not read the books, heard the BBC4 radio show, or seen the TV series. So judging the film alone, it is superb. The acting is first class, the soundtrack is great and overall had me gripped for the entire movie.

The only caveat is the miss matching chess pieces, though I suppose there was meant to be some kind of subtext that I have missed.

All in all great film, perfect for a quiet evening.
on 8 July 2017
Deep plot, superlative performances and a gripping narrative that actually gives some insight into how our intelligence agencies become compromised, this is not a fast food film, you need to be paying attention to appreciate the layers, Gary Oldman was outstanding, highly recommended.
on 1 December 2017
Brilliant acting. Even though you know how it's going to end the characterisation really draws you in. Worth several viewings to gather all the offered information
on 11 January 2016
First off, I want to say that I own the book, the 7 part Tv series, the BBC4 audiobook and this DVD of the film. I'm not trying to make out, I'm some kind of expert, (I know I'm not!), but to make the point that each is unique and has to be judged on its own merits. They are all in a different medium and are distinct, although the source material is obviously the same. I mean what is the point of critically comparing any film to its book?
Anyway, I approached this film in that way, on its own merits and I think it is very accomplished. The acting on show is first class, with turns from Firth, Hurt, Cumberbatch and Toby Jones and Tom Hardy. At the centre, Oldman is very good as the introspective, cerebral, Smiley. There is a terrific little scene early on, in a car, where there is a wasp or bee buzzing around inside the vehicle. Whereas the other occupants flap their arms around trying to shoo it away, Smiley simply watches it and calmly opens his window to let it fly out. It nicely frames the character of the man in a simple scene with no dialogue.
The identity of a spy in MI6 is slowly revealed as Smiley, methodically, pieces the clues together.
(As a side note, the lives of these people really don't seem very appealing to me at all. just a life of suspicion and subterfuge, with a bit of paranoia and loneliness thrown in, at no extra cost).
I gave it 4 stars out of 5, not as a film adaptation of a book, but as a film. It is very well made, the acting is top-notch and it has a gripping story. Ticks the boxes for me.
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 May 2017
Great film! When we watched the series several years ago we were quite confused by the storyline but , after having watched it as a film, it now makes sense!!
on 10 November 2017
Very good film if you can forget the TV series with Alec Guiness. Gary's version is more broody and spylike (whatever that means) but good.
on 20 September 2017
Cracking, tense movie that's only getting one star from morons who expect explosions, gadgets and fast paced action and don't have the intellect for a good, deep thinking thriller.