on 29 May 2014
Overall I did enjoy this book. Excellent writing style, though a fair number of grammatical errors. Was there no editing before publication? It is a story which held my interest but I did become frustrated by the excessive long descriptions of all manner of things; which slowed down the plot. An over long book which would have been a five star for me with a lot less of unnecessary detail. In the final stages of the book especially, the battles with the dwarves just went on and on and on! To be truthful I became somewhat bored at this point and wanted to get to the next stage in the plot, however, I need to purchase part 2 to find out more of Whill as the book ends abruptly after the dwarves triumph.
on 25 July 2013
I originally bought this book in October 2012 - and decided to re-read it when the next in the series was published. About a third of the way through I realised that I had never finished it - very rare for me! I don't know why I was not engaged by this book - clearly others did not have the same problem - but for me the characters were one dimensional and I did not care about them, so once again I gave up! Obviously this is a matter of personal taste - but don't be swayed by the comparisons to David Gemmell - not in the same league!
on 29 October 2015
I bought this book for a bit of light reading. I absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed the characters and the story line. However I felt the final battle was a little bit rushed. But I would recommend this book to everyone. Well done Michael
on 16 July 2014
A fast paced action packed story with fascinating characters and so many twists and turns and unexpected happenings,it makes for an engrossing read,didn't want to put it down,am now on the second volume.
on 9 October 2014
Story detail was great, there where times when a repartition crept in, but did little to spoil the just of the Story, and I thought maybe some of the names could've rolled of the tough a bit easier....
on 31 July 2013
I thought the writing a little basic when I first started reading but as I read on I became engrossed in the story. I have read loads of fantasy fiction and thought that this one was very good. I am off now to download the next.
on 6 April 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Plenty of descriptions to help bring it to life. My main complaint is I found it confusing when it switches between characters and their different stories all on the same page. You get used to it, but it spoils the reading somewhat. Having said that I am hooked and looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 12 July 2014
A good read, not a great start for me as whill is introduced already being a great swordsman and getting a bit too much too quick in my opinion, but i am a fan of the coming of age books or the already a hero type in an older character, that said once the story kicked in and got going after the expected explanation events i could not put the book down, one page had me laughing out loud. The book gets better and better as the story progresses and i have already purchased the second book, not quite a David Gemmell, David Eddings or Raymond E Feist but definitely up there in my opinion. If you like these authors or R A Salvator, Brent Weeks and James Barclay then its definitely worth a read as judging by how this book gets (and considering it is a first) the others will get better and better, great job and i can't wait to read the next one.
on 10 October 2014
I loved this story.
My usual reading is Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind and Dean Koontz.
I was delighted to discover another author I like.

As a writer myself, the above authors have inspired me throughout the years.
Michael Ploof is in that category.
I loved all the well drawn characters in Whill of Ahora, especially the two elves and Roakore the Dwarf king..
His plotting is excellent.
Micheal I'll leave you with a riddle- What tights come down?
All the best from Derry.
Jack
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2014
Book would have been even better if I didn't keep getting a feeling of deja-vu, nearly Tanis half eleven and his companions,from stoic knight,,barbarian elves,just need a Raistlin and I was waiting for a tassolhoff the be added to the mix, or a similar character, similar agents of evil........the draconians.......but read it, will borrow book too, hopefully as the characters build it will become more the authors book than a reha
sh of the Hickman/Weis dragonlance novels