on 24 January 2016
Much like Stevie Nicks’s Trouble In Shangri-La, Aerial sounds dateless. Some of these songs could have been written right after The Red Shoes, in anticipation of a more immediate follow-up that would never materialize, while others could have been composed just yesterday—and there’s no telling which are which. Bush often falls into her old, familiar eccentricities (lead single “King Of The Mountain” finds her singing with an Elvis-like drawl—it shouldn’t work but does—while the chorus of “Pi” consists of her hypnotically reciting the infinite digits that make up the titular number like some crazed mathematician), but if those quirks weren’t here we’d be complaining about that too, and they only add to the charm of an album that seems to come from another place and time, specifically Bush’s own musical past. The Lite-FM law firm of Amos & McLachlan could learn a thing or two from their predecessor about growing older without getting stale…even if it means taking more than a decade-long sabbatical only to return as if no time had passed at all.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 March 2014
Aerial is kate's 1st double album that was released after a 12 year absence away from the music the buisness. What can I say about this truly fantastic album that hasn't already been said? It is a sheer joy that not only exceeds expectations, but also cements kate's place as 1 of the truly original singer/songwriter/musician that this country has produced. Bold words you may think, but I advise anyone to purchase this album and to bask in its sheer beauty and its aural delights.
6 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2005
After the first eager play, I was disappointed. I had counted on Kate to give me the almost visceral experience of (what I consider to be) her best works. Aerial didn’t hit me in the heart. I wasn’t awestruck. People coming to Kate for the first time through Aerial might not ‘get it’. With hindsight, The Dreaming and Hounds of Love mark the end of her progressive breaking of ground that I still find exciting when I dig these treasures out for a Kate session. Her rich palette of colours has matured as she has too. Kate paints with smaller strokes nowadays. On further hearings, and you really need to open up and listen, Aerial gets better and better. In part, particularly A Sea of Honey, it is a miniaturist thoughtful work that has a close focus : the numbers that are pi; the joy that her boy Bertie brings her; an elemental appreciation of and affinity with nature and the details of domestic life; the undertow of grief; a day on the beach; a sunset. The whole album is like a series of excerpts from a journal. Kate sounds like she’s at peace with herself, content and happy. The energy of the past is diminished but her intense romantic imagination and feeling is still there. A Coral Room sounds like it dates from the Red Shoes – it’s beautiful and heartbreaking. A Sky of Honey is brimful of beauty – Kate’s sensual world – like a Turner painting or memories of the most intensely, unbelievably beautiful day. I listened at 3am and it was perfect. I started off thinking Sky was an unfinished work and Sea was the real album. Now, I love them both. She has made a lovely album.
9 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2014
I don't know how I missed this gem but I'm grateful to the recent BBC documentary about Kate Bush for awakening my interest. From the first John Martyn style slurred lyrics on the first track of CD1 I was hooked.
I played the first CD on my way home from work and just had to listen to the second CD when I arrived, putting everything else on hold.
Throughout she weaves a magical soundscape that you get lost in and displays her enduring genius by making the mundane seem profound. Every track is worthwhile and her voice sounds better than ever. Buy it, you won't regret it.
One person found this helpful
on 4 February 2018
This is absolutely awesome.
If you liked Hounds of Love, you'll like this, especially the second disc, a long sound sculpture inspired by sunlight and birdsong. You will be enthralled
on 2 September 2014
what's up ? now Kate is preforming live again everybody is suddenly into Kate's music again ... when I first heard the painters link+sunset In 2005 I almost cried, the beauty of it ... this is one of those records i will treasure for ever ...
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 September 2014
I should have bought this album ages ago, but for some reason, I must have thought Kate Bush was past her best. How wrong I was, Her writing has matured far beyond those early songs as has her performance of the tracks. It's clear she's spent a lot of time creating this album and since buying it, I've listened to it numerous times, sometimes even finding things I'd previously missed. All in all a great buy!
3 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2017
One of Kate's best - elegiac, lyrical, takes her wonderful music to another level. 'How to be Invisible' struck a particularly personal chord. Simply sublime.
on 12 May 2018