Customer reviews

Style: Four Thirds|Change

on 14 April 2013
A great value lens.
Extra sharp center, sharp edges.
Easy focusing with live view but the barrel scale is off. No vignetting on crop body, acceptable distortion.
A great landscape lens.
Style: Canon EF|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This lens is manual focus. I tested it on a Canon EOS 7DMark II, and found it difficult to focus average overcast light conditions. Fine if your shooting a landscape and can set it to infinity, or if you have plenty of time to compose your shot and re take if your not happy. Not great if there some action to capture. The lens has a manual aperture ring as well, feels a bit retro, reminded me of my Pentax ME Super from the 80s.

At 14mm I was expecting some thing verging on fish eye- but its not like that. If you’d shown me a picture and said guess the length I’d have said 20-28mm maybe (digital not 35mm film length) I did n’t notice any distortion at the edges nor vigneting. Wide angle lenses often seem soft, this is not bad- but I couldn’t describe it as really sharp. Perhaps not so important for wide angle picture that you’re less likely to crop.

Its ok but lacks any wow factor.
Style: Canon EF|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A good quality lens, though not ideal for those new to DSLR photography (eg, me). I have an EOS 650d and I found the camera fitted well and was perfectly usable. The quality of photos (when I managed to get the focus right) seemed fine, though to my (admittedly untrained) eye photos did seem quite over-exposed in bright light situations, even after endless fiddling with the settings.

This is a great lens for those looking particularly at city and landscape photography. 14mm doesn't seem like a wide lens however the line depth and clarity when I get the settings right, are spot-on.

The lens is supplied with a front and rear hood for safe transport without tarnishing or damaging the lens, and these fit well.

Given the price point compared to Canon F lenses, Walimex are a brand I would look at again in the future.
Style: Canon EF|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a decent quality piece of glass - not quite up there with my Canon L-lenses (whose red ring it rather cheekily mimics), but better than many cheap lenses I've tested. It's a little soft around the edges, but in the centre plenty sharp and contrasty for my needs. And the focal length is an interesting one - my favourite lens to use on my Canon 5D Mark II is the 16-35mm Mark I L-lens, but the drop from 16mm to the 14mm of this lens gives a nice bit of extra width to the resulting images, which will be really handy for architectural and landscape photos.

However what lets the lens down is, as others have mentioned, the manual control. It does not communicate with the camera's metering and focusing system at all. This means that on the camera, aperture is always displayed as "00", and you have to meter and judge exposure manually. To be honest, with a digital camera this is not such a bit problem - just fire off a test shot, and if the exposure isn't right, then you can correct it. However, manual focus is a far bigger issue for me. The 5D viewfinder is simply not big and clear enough to judge accurate focus in, which means that you have to instead switch to the LCD panel and zoom in to check that your focus points are sharp. This is awkward and time consuming. At least for the type of photography this lens works best for - architecture and landscape - you generally have plenty of time to set up and get your focus right, so requiring you to do it manually is not a complete deal-breaker. But for the other photography I do where a lens this wide would prove handy - gigs and events - it's a complete non-starter.

So, decent lens, but seriously hobbled by its time-consuming and fiddly manual controls.
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2016
Style: Canon EF|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a reasonably priced lens, perfect for landscape shots. Buyers should be aware that this is manual focus. It comes with a lens cap and pouch. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2016
Style: Canon EF|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This 14mm F2.8 wide angle lens from Walimex Pro is Canon EF (and EF-S) compatible with manual focus and manual aperture setting. I’ve been trying it out on a Canon 60D body and at the price I like what I see.

As a manual lens it only really makes sense to put your camera into full manual mode - after all, you will want to set both ISO and shutter speed yourself given that the camera can’t control and doesn’t know what F-stop the lens is on - although as you move through the stops down to F22 the difference is clearly visible through the viewfinder.

I’m not a regular user of manual mode but it didn’t take long to refamiliarise myself before I was getting some great pictures. Manual focus is a bit of a bind for me however as my eyesight isn’t perfect, but when shooting anything further away than 10m this becomes a non-issue. Naturally, image stabilisation isn’t a feature on this lens either.

In summary - if you’re comfortable using your camera in manual mode then this is a great lens at a great price. If not, I suggest you steer clear. There are a few small minus points I’ve not mentioned - the lens hood is integrated and non-removable and it can’t take filters - but these really are small points for a 14mm F2.8 lens at this price.
on 9 May 2013
This had a good description but was incompatible with my A850 although advertised to be ok with this camera. Could be a good lens but I was unable to use it and returned it. Refunded without fuss.
on 6 June 2014
This camera lens is Limited in scope and lacking in versatility difficult to find the 'sweet spot' for manual focus.