Customer reviews

Shallows (Picador Books)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.29

on 4 March 2012
I have also read a good few of Tim Winton's books after getting hooked on them during my three months in Perth at the end of 2011. His stories are addictive, the only commom thread being the setting of WA. I have loved all of them so far - fortunately a few still to go! We were in Albany for a few days - where this book is set (he calls it Angelus). Visited the whaling museum and got a feel of what it was like for the families whose lives depended on the industry. Much as one cheers the end of whaling - the story was a tragic one for many in the town. In this context I read this book with much interest and it didn't disappoint. The gap between the young idealists ( most of whom were from Perth )and the townsfolk was enormous and heartbreaking. The characters are beautifully drawn - even if you dislike a few.
on 14 June 2011
Wow, this is a first, to be the first to review a book. Well, let me start by saying that I chose this book because of its author, since I absolutely loved both Dirt Music and Breathe. However, "Shallows" is inconsistent, at best. If I didn't know what Winton was capable of, I would probably have given it 2 stars out of 3. But there are bits - where I recognise his style and I rejoyce. Overall, it is beautifully written, and the subject matter is very interesting. Despite the fact that the novel is set in 1978, the issue of the morality of whale-hunting is as vibrant today as it was then. I warmed to some of the characters (Queenie, Cleve, Daniel, the Reverend Pell, amongst others) but felt nothing towards others (Hassa Staats, to give an example), and even wondered what they were doing in the story - taking up precious space, given how much I enjoy reading anything Tim Winton writes! So at the end of the book I didn't feel the same sense of satisfaction I did when I finished Dirt Music and Breathe... but there you go, it's a good effort, and this book is still a lot better than most other books out there, especially if you're interested in anything sea-or-Western-Australia-related. Just don't expect a masterpiece...
on 10 September 2014
Tim Winton's description of the landscapes where the characters belong to makes you feel as though you've been to those places yourself. Another excellent story from Tim Winston.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 March 2016
Try as I might, I can't get into this book. I normally live Winton's books, but not this one.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse