Colour: Red|Change

on 1 March 2014
we were very happy with this product until it came to the descale. after approx. nine months the machine indicated that it required a de-scale. we have followed the procedure without deviation with the appropriate product as supplied with the unit. However following the de-scale the water temperature is not sufficient to drink the coffee and the steam pressure is not great enough to stem milk. we are having to send the unit back to the manufacturers for repair/replacement.
on 2 January 2014
Machine makes excellent coffee. Make sure you order some capsules if buying this as the free samples you get in the box are all out of date. Would have given this 5 stars if it wasn't for out of date samples
on 22 December 2012
I bought this earlier in the year after seeing that Illy did a coffee pod system on a TV programme as this is my favourite coffee, rather than the planned purchase of a Nespresso system. I have to say that I have not been dissapointed, the Frances Frances built machine makes perfect italian coffee everytime. It also is well made, nice to touch and looks great on the kitchen counter.

I bought this to replace an existing coffee machine which used loose coffee as I found this gave inconsistent results, depended heavily on the brand and ground size of the coffee, and it's worst feature was a milk system with a plastic nozzle that cross threaded easily making cleaning a nightmare.

The Illy system is better in everyway, the machine is fast to heat up, creates the right amount of coffee at a single press of a button, the milk frother creates nice foam and there is no cleaning to talk of. For example the Illy nozzle simply pulls off, comes apart in to two pieces, and then you rinse through with warm soapy water.

The whole system is so fast and so easy to use that I haven't drunk instant coffee at home in months now.

The machine came with test pods for the Dark (Black) and normal (Red) blends, however after testing a few we found that the Longo (Blue) pods give probably the nicest coffee for a latte. We found the best deal for the coffee was to buy online from the local illy distributor as many of the other sources whilst looking cheaper charge a huge amount for postage making the price per pod overall higher.

I recommend the purchase of a small milk jug of less then 500ml, as the 500ml one I bought is a bit too deep for the nozzle, and a thermometer as judging milk heating by time gave patchy results where as the thermometer means the right temperature everytime.

I hope more and more people find and buy these machines, they are superb.
on 11 April 2015
Way better than Nespresso, flavour is better, none of the 600 varieties of multi coloured capsules that all taste precisely the same. It's very easy to clean and if you want the flavour but no buzz, the decaf tastes every bit as lovely as the regular. The only real downside is that the capsules are a bit more expensive and you do have to wait a while if you want to make another coffee after you use the steamer. Otherwise, perfect.
on 13 May 2013
This is my favourite coffee machine and I use it every day. It looks great on my granite work surface and as I am slighty challenged with the use of my right hand I find it so simple to push a button for the steam element instead of the older version where you have to twist a silver knob. It is really simple to use and understand and I love it.
on 11 January 2015
We purchased this coffee machine at Christmas as it is rated highly by Which reviewers, so far so good. It's really easy to use and clean, good quality coffee. Would recommend that you buy the capsules online in bulk as better value (and I haven't been able to find any in supermarkets near me)
on 21 June 2014
I purchase this machine on the basis of the excellent reviews it received. It's a lovely looking machine and gives you the impression that you are a bit of a "barista" when you clamp the pod into the machine. It's strictly an espresso machine (which is all it claims to be) so you can't set it to deliver a bit of extra water as I am able to do with my Nespresso machine. This is no real problem, you just have to add water from the kettle.
The problem was that it was impossible to predict how much espresso the machine was going to deliver. It varied by a huge amount between a typical espresso size and hardly any liquid at all. This was with a brand new machine and using identical pods each time.
The coffee was very nice when the correct amount was delivered. Something I hadn't considered when I bought the machine was the huge amount of plastic waste that the " iepresso" pods produce. I'm not a paid up member of the "Green" party but even I was feeling guilty. The pods are also expensive compared to the alternatives, especially compared to buying coffee beans or ground coffee.
I tried my best to get the machine to function properly for a week but gave up and returned it for a refund.
If you shop around the machine is available for £79 now which is excellent value if you get one that works properly. Even so, if you drink even an average amount of coffee you would be better off considering a more expensive machine which can use cheaper pods (ese) and ground coffee. Doing a bit of maths, four cups a day and save 25p a cup by using good quality ground beans (or about 20p a cup using good quality ese pods) and you save £365 in a year!! A good machine and grinder comes in at around £240. Think about it!
on 22 September 2015
Does make excellent espresso. Longer drinks take a bit more practice in terms of your own preference for the balance of expressed volume plus hot water. Steam wand works well.
The over-riding problem is the heavy cost of the special capsules. Illy should work to reduce this. Need to get a mixed selection of capsules and try different beans as there can be quite a difference in taste and suitability between long and short drinks. Five stars if capsules were cheaper!
on 18 February 2015
I have used this machine for a couple of years - best coffee ever.
I discovered that the auto measuring system is quite easy to adjust. I use the cafe lungo capsules, and the trick is place the cup you normally intend to use under the spout, press the button, and DO NOT release it until you have the desired amount in the cup.
After this, just pressing the button once will always give the same amount, ie, the machine 'remembers'.
on 18 May 2012
Having owned 2 Gaggia Bean to cup machines and had problems with both of them, I decided that "less to go wrong" is good. Looked at Nespresso machines as well as this and am delighted with my decision. Coffee great; milk frother great; delivery great, in summary; GREAT