on 27 July 2013
This book is a very good read, though I feel it is something that people who worked or working in customer services would understand. The title however is somewhat misleading as I got it to "improve" my complaining skills. For those who think the same as me, the book is not a ''complaining for dummies'' or "step to step guide for successful complaining". It is light-hearted and funny. Praises to the author.
on 19 March 2013
I have worked in call centres for 25 years and found myself nodding in agreement to most of this book. There are always 2 ways to deal with a complaint, the slow way and the quick way. Guess which one abusive customers get! So be nice to complaints staff, we're only trying to do our job. A fab funny read with real insight into the job.
on 6 April 2012
If you are planning on buying this book for kindle....DON'T.
In paperback i should imagine that it would be fine, but the reply letters included in the second part of the book are totally unreadable on kindle. And wont resize.
If you want to ignore the second part of the book then the first half is great.Lots of good advice about what call centers get up to, and very funny.
But as i said the second half just lets things down big time.
I purchased this book for free and i can tell you now i will be complaining direct to the author and asking for my money back.

After the comment below i thought i should mention that maybe i should learn to use my kindle. Yes the letters do scale up this way, and although not perfect, are readable.Therefore i have increased the star rating to four stars as the book content is great its just the technology that lets it down...
on 12 May 2011
After purchasing my car from an Internationally renowned dealership, I felt assured that such a company would have a solid foundation of Customer Service. To my suprise, two months after buying my pride and joy, the locking system decided to stop working, forcing me to leave the car unlocked overnight. Needless to say, this led to a sleepless night as I was jumping out of bed at the slightest noise from outside. Thankfully, no opportunist theives spotted the defect.
At 9pm I called the number given on my documents. It struck me as strange as the number began with 0845 despite the dealership being less than a mile away.
After listening to Robbie Williams singing She's The One for an hour, I was suprised to discover that I had phoned India.
I explained my problem. I was promptly told that the car's locking system is not covered under the warranty and that it's "customer responsibility".
Baffled by this, I drove the car back to the dealership. A dozy mechanic shrugged and pointed at the sales office, where I saw the same over enthusiastic salesman who sold me the motor.
He led me to a desk and asked me to wait while he made a phone call. I overheard Robbie Williams singing She's The One again, as the salesman tapped his pen on the desk to the song's rhythm.
After another hour I was told they could fix it, but it would cost me £420.
I drove back home fuming and logged straight onto Google for help - and finally came across this fine guide!
Not only did the suggestions offered in this book lead to my car's locking system getting fixed at the dealership's expense, but it also gave me the best laugh I've ever had from a guide book!
Seriously, the author really should submit this to the BBC as a comedy script. Never have I laughed out loud so much at such ingenious satire. He really hits the nail on the with his description of the flim flam which goes on behind the scenes of complaints departments and gives a hefty kick in the teeth to those pondlife customer service conformists who fail to deliver. This is a book that will stay on my Kindle for future reference.
Highly recommended, highly effective, a hell of a lot cheaper than employing a legal representative and hilariously funny.
on 6 April 2012
This book states it's credentials early on and promises us an insight into the world of the put upon call centre operator which will be followed up by a lesson in how to complain finishing with some template examples of real written complaints. In all areas it delivers but the quality of the information is woeful.

Ok, lets look at each area individually. The call centre operators - well folks it turns out that if we have a valid complaint they are likely to put us on mute, make fun of us, hang up on us etc. No surprises there and plenty of vindication for those of us who hate to interact with cretins like these and cretins they are if they behave in this way whilst being paid to service customer complaints, no matter how tedious the task may be. Apparently, it is up to us to "help these people enjoy their jobs"! Having said that I'm sure that, like me, you don't think that all call centre operators are like this.

Now lets look at the lesson in how to complain. I'm not going to spoil it for you but it consists of two pieces of advice and isn't worthy of the price of the book (and I downloaded it free!).

Finally, the examples of real written complaints. The author advises using humour when contacting companies to complain but it looks like he fails to take his own advice as these examples are, to me, traincrashingly (new word?) unfunny, although I recognise that humour is subjective and one mans Tommy Cooper is another mans Clement Freud. I stopped reading them as they were no more than the ramblings of a deluded mind at times. What I found worst of all about these examples is that although they were real, none of them seemed to have any legitimate complaint and a couple were complete non-sequiturs. In one example the author pays for a parking ticket and fails to display it as per the terms and conditions and in doing so cops a ticket because of this. He then writes to the local council casting aspersions upon the warden and making all sorts of unfounded accusation against him/her. The letter was a blatant lie and I fail to see any humour therein.

As an aside and despite others saying they can't, all the reproduced letters can be scaled up if you are using a kindle with the 5 way button. Simply press the up arrow when on the page in question and then you'll see a magnifying glass. Following this press the centre button to zoom. The problem then becomes the faint shade of grey these letters are rendered in and not the size of the font.

I'm awarding two stars here as there are a couple of chapters that are mildly interesting, the training chapter being one of them. Unfortunately, I don't think they are good enough to redeem this book so would advise caution before buying.
on 3 April 2012
This book has introduced a new dilemma into my life, should I complain about something that was free ? Well the author owes me at least 30 minutes of my life, so I am going to.

The book started off with a reasonable amount of promise with the Author stating his credentials.After this point it descended into a diatribe about the low self esteem and professionalism (lack of)of Call Centre staff.The Author obviously has an axe to grind on this subject.

After becoming bored with the repitious rantings I moved on to the letters hoping that a) they might be informative b) entertaining. They were neither.

At the beginning of the book the Author told us how he had read letters which included every minutiae of the complainants life,then informed us he would jump to the final paragraph to find out what the actual complaint was.If only he had stuck to us own advice! His letter of complaint may have seemed amusing to him but I am afraid the recipients like myself must have found them cringeworthy. The replies (a lot of them not transfering to Kindle very well) had the air of disinterest and totally ignored the writer's "humour"

All in all if you are looking for a book to help you make a genuine complaint this is not it.Unfortunately,in my opinion neither is it good entertainment.
on 20 June 2011
This book functions as both a comedic tour-de-force and a clarion call to all the armchair apathetics whom take the day-to-day irritations of bureaucracy lying down.

Never again shall I use my usual method of complaint - ringing up some poor Customer Service Advisor and screaming down the phone at them, whilst banging the received against my head.

Never again shall I cut random letters out of newspaper headlines and arrange them into threatening prose to send to the heads of faceless corporations.

Complaining can be both fun and funny. This book taught me that.
on 28 May 2014
This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! Monty Python taught us what to say years ago, and anyone needing advice today has only to check out the Complaining Cow's website.

This book is less amusing than one, less practical than the other. It is written from the point of view of the people in the call centre waiting for your call , or for your letter of complaint. Be clear about what's wrong, and be clear about what you want done to set things right. Be realistic - you are not going to blag an all expenses trip to California because someone gave you a funny look in Tesco's wine aisle. Be polite - no ranting and raving - it's very easy to hang up the call. If writing, get to the point. And try to be pleasant and if possible amusing. The guy in the call centre will appreciate it, especially if you don't swear at him.

The author adds some sample letters as examples, presumably as his previous employer did not give him access to the files. Not very interesting
on 30 July 2013
A funny light hearted view of complaining with humour to get the response you want. Looking at the issue from the complaint handlers point if view give you an idea of improving your chance of getting a successful outcome
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 August 2013
I haven't read all of the book but what I did read was interesting and gave good advice. Customer service is not very good in the UK compared with the US a lot of this book is for the US,however it gives good advice and its good to have when needed.

Well worth downloading.