on 26 December 2011
I have built a new computer based on this motherboard and all is well for a week so far. There were a few things that bothered me in the beginning though, like why there are parallel and serial ports, missing IDE port (I had to buy a new DVD drive because of this, but it was my choice), difficult to fit I/O shield. However, other than that, the system consisting of an AM3+ FX-4100 CPU and 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM working as well as I would expect. It is a cheap and cheerful motherboard with built in support for my CPU - some people have complained about having to update the BIOS in internet forums, but not in this case. There is no Turbo Evo facilities like on other Asus motherboards, so overclocking may be limited to more expert users but this is probably the wrong board for that anyway.
on 29 February 2012
I decided that a good winter project would be to build a pc. The Asus M5A78L-M LX seemed good value and I saw in the specifications that it supported Phenom 11 CPUs. I bought a Phenom 11 x 4 955 Black 3.2 Ghz, but only after booting up did I realise that the MoBo only supported up to 95w CPUs. It works fine, but I get this warning everytime I boot up saying the CPU is not supported. Had I looked more closely at the specifications I would have seen that the 955 is not included on the Asus board. I've learned the lesson about being more careful now, and I will see what happens (running too hot maybe?). Any suggestions on likely problems or cures would be gratefully received. I've got a feeling that the CPU is 125 watts. Ho Hum.
1010 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2012
make sure before you purchase a board that it fits your case. if it does then this is a cracking piece of hardware with a large choice of processors, just go to asus and review how many it will accept. you cant go wrong with thic choice
on 31 October 2011
Before I proceed to review this mobo. I must ask for forgiveness from everyone affected by my previous reviews on this mobo.

At first I thought it was a 125 watt cpu mobo. I was proven wrong by amazon shopper "New-to-pc-building". I then thought I was sold by accident the M5a78l-mlx Plus mobo actually I looked on asus website at the Plus version and did not realise amazon only had M5a78l-mlx and its version two. I am an amateur at pc building and learning the hard way.

It is clear. I bought this mobo but have been bios updating from wrong asus mobo version. Homer Simpson moment that I only realised this morning when I looked at the mobo box - M5a78l-mlx not M5a78l-mlx PLUS. it's been a year nearly and well I am daft.

****Reviw of mobo.

8 gb ram maximum. 95watt cpu support - i installed amd fx 6100 95 watt. at first said not compatible but it is:
[...]

I just installed bios to 1003. this mobo has beta bios version available but i dont know about that. A reboot solved issue and cpu is compatible.

Windows 7 64 bit and upgarde gpu from xfx hd radeon 6450 to asus hd eah 6670.

Fast instant internet but not as quick as M4A78LT-M LE that booted into internet from start of bios post with asus internet explorer before going into os system. that is cool mobo but i was gonna upgrade to amd fx am3+ cpu so needed 2011 asus edition to support that cpu.

loads of utilities but i am upset that it does not come with asus Q-FAN 2 which supports additional fan speed control.

worth a buy and good for 1080 p support for hd video and blu-ray films along with odd for that ofcourse. fast ram responsive and 8gb ram. turbo key and core unlocker. designed to withstand ESD as long as you help by wearing proper gear.

great buy. again i apologse for my idotness to all. 95 watt compatible not 125 watt. i ran a phenom iix4 975 at 126watt?! for a nearly a year before upgarde to amd fx 6100. never had crashes or blue screen so maybe lucky.
on 16 July 2012
I bought a "Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor" and connected it to the AM3+ certified M5A78L-M LX, when booting it says: "This CPU is not supported by this model. Please check CPU QVL on ASUS website.".

I tried updating to the latest 1003 bios which didn't help.

It seems Asus support the FD8120WMW8KGU version of this CPU but not FD8120FRGUBOX. There's no way to tell which you will get as they are just called "retail" when you buy.

I reported this to Asus and hope they add support for this CPU soon.
77 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2011
Ok guys for the money you are paying on this bad boy you are getting alot.
it has plenty of expansion slots! USB connectors, and even 6 sata connectors! something you don't always see on micro atx MOBOS
The under 50£ AM3+ micro atx niche is kind of filled with apparently exiting deals but i would definitely recommend spending 5£ more on a ASUSA/MSI/ Gygabite rather than an asrock who have let me down in the past!
Since you can get a decent athlon/sempron and 4GB ram for under 100 pounds i seriously recommend this option over a low end i3 that will cost you double!
on 3 September 2014
It works brilliantly as a budget board, however there is little space for expansion. There's only one 4-pin connector, 2 RAM slots, one GPU slot, no USB 3... So on. Back when I bought it I would have said the price was good. However £40 or so for this is just not worth it anymore. It's old!
on 5 July 2012
Hi,
I dont usually do reviews but this motherboard was too good!

Im 14 years old and just created a gaming pc using this motherboard. There was some cons about the motherboard like how theres no IDE ports for old dvd drives. However, I purchased a IDE converter to SATA. This is because the motherboard has lots of SATA ports. 8gb ram is highly generous for a cheap motherboard. I used a AMD athlon ii x2 CPU for this mobo aswell. FYI i used a amd radeon hd 6770. Great Mobo!
on 20 January 2016
Graphics scores 4 + Windows, cost no more than graphics card that good & 2 SATA leads included.