Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 July 2017
Fathers Day gift for my other half who loves Pink Floyd. He is extremely happy and this belts out from the car at every opportunity.
on 29 May 2017
Good
on 1 July 2017
Quality cd and came on time
on 21 June 2017
as a quick introduction to the world of Pink Floyd this really did the trick. I will now be digging deeper into their vast catalogue.
on 18 July 2017
Great sounds
on 24 May 2017
Best of the best !
on 11 April 2017
A good gift for fans of Vinyl from PINK FLOYD.
on 8 May 2017
Awsome album. Recommend to any dedicsted Floyd fan. Definately the best tracks that they have ever done. A A A.
on 7 November 2011
When i saw this was being released I was a bit surprised as, firstly it was only one disc and secondly, nearly every track appears on the far better, echoes collection. This is apparently to make people aware that Pink Floyd's back catalogue has been remastered again.
So my copy arrived, I have to say a good job has been done on the remastering not to loud and it is faithful to the Pink Floyd legacy, however to be honest there is very little difference in sound quality to this set and the previous Echoes best of collection. The tracks are mainly from Dark side and Wish you were here (nothing from meddle,animals or anything before atom heart mother apart from one single See Emily Play) and I personally think any new fan would be better off buying Dark side of the moon and Wish you were here.
The booklet is just four pages no track details words or recording history very sparse,and again an awful paper cardboard sleeve which is very tight and is almost impossible to get the CD out, if EMI or other record companies are going to do this can't they put an inner sleeve in, then it might be a vinyl replica, as since when did records ever get issued without a inner sleeve. This rating I based on the value of this collection, not the music which for me is timeless.
66 Comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2012
One of my biggest complaints about the Amazon review system (which generally is an invaluable tool) is allowing people who do not own a product to review it. This is especially problematic with music reviews, where certain individuals use the review section to post their views on the artists themselves or what they see as their commercial politics. This is very frustrating when it comes to making a balanced view about the product itself.

This album is a very good case in point. I have read so may reviews about the legitimacy or otherwise of releasing a 'best of' album at this juncture in Pink Floyd's career, that it has been very difficult to a establish the value of the album itself. Hence, I held off from writing a review, until I actually owned the album itself. As with many others I suspect, I own all the music on the album already, so I was not prepared to pay 'full' price for it, but found it recently at a more reasonable price, so was happy to pick it up to see how the compilation fares. After all, that is what it is, a compilation of songs widely available elsewhere but packaged together and remastered. On that basis, it is not a worthless exercise, in my opinion, providing the cost is reasonable.

The first point to make about the product is the packaging. I have become a fan of the slip case packaging, as it reminds me of the old LP covers, which were often real works of art. I would happily see all cds released in this format personally, for a number of reasons, not least that they take up less space and are I assume more economic and environmentally friendly to produce. The artwork, as always with Pink Floyd, is brilliant, the only shame being it is, of course, difficult to make out the detail on such a relatively small item. The booklet inside is only 3 double sided pictures inside, which whilst interesting could I think have been so much more. Incidentally, the picture of the booklet in the 3rd Amazon photo on this site is not the one which belongs with this album, it is (bizarrely) the booklet from the DSOM Experience edition! I like the packaging generally and would give that 5 stars easily.

As far as the songs go, there are really only 14, as tracks 3/4 plus tracks 15/16 are both really two parts of the same song. Of the 14, in my mind 8 are bona fide classics (Happiest Days/Another Brick, Wish You Were Here, Time, Money, The Great Gig, Comfortably Numb, Shine On and Brain Damage/Eclipse and I don't think anyone could argue about their inclusion on any 'Best Of' compilation. Incidentally, Brain Damage/Eclipse was not on the earlier 'Echoes' compilation mentioned in a number of reviews for this album, which I think was an inexcusable omission. Of the others, you could make arguments for their inclusion but likewise could make arguments for probably at least another 20 songs if not more. I am not a great fan of the post Roger Waters numbers (High Hopes and Learning To Fly) and find the inclusion of 'Have A Cigar' particularly surprising, given the vocal was not even by a member of the band!

However, that all said, there is more than enough of a taster here for anyone with a passing interest in Pink Floyd to dip their toe in the water with (or put their foot in the door maybe). As many have said here, if you like what you find on this album, get Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here next and begin a fabulous journey of discovery...
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse