on 30 October 2011
Pink Floyd's awesome qualities as a live act are brilliantly captured on the first part of this recording. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" covers the whole gamute of the band's sonic armoury. Always atmospheric it unfolds as eerie - beautiful interplay between keyboards and guitar - then climaxes with a stunning crescendo impelled by furious percussion playing. Similar territories are explored during "Sauceful of Secrets" - the band's most ambitious composition prior to "Atom Heart Mother" and "Echoes" - and this piece concludes in a majestic finale. Fantastic stuff.

Ummagumma part two is given over to studio material wherein the band each do their own thing in turn opening with Rick Wright's "Sysyphus." A rather ponderous piece that I only enjoy listening to on a very occasional basis after making a sisyphean effort. "Granchester Meadows" by Roger Waters is a pleasant pastoral piece that is more compelling. That's followed by "Several species of Small Furry Animals..." which is a terrific and eccentric collaboration between Waters and Ron Geeson. David Gilmour's "Narrow Way" has nice guitar playing but doesn't stand up as a composition. Finally "The Grand Vizier's Garden Party" from Nick Mason has moments of nice whimsy, best visited infrequently.

So, the album drops to an overall "4 star" rating because three quarters of the studio content is lack lustre. In my view it's worth getting Ummagumma for the live material alone. The remastering really does enhance the listening experience.
on 4 May 2007
when this came out in the US in the fall of 1969
The double LP cover was imprinted (not a sticker) with "SPECIAL BUY! GET 2 ALBUMS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!" in fairly large letters in the middle of the front-in fact, ALL Capitol Records Pink Floyd up to DSOTM had the covers re-arranged to have the artist and title added to the covers-non removable; I never even realized after they screwed up the cover to Meddle, what was being shown until i got the UK edition.
They felt the CONSUMER was too stupid to dare pick the album up and search for the name/artist-SO THEY SPELLED IT OUT FOR YOU!

But it is still breathtaking for me hear the delicate, mysterious guitar riffs, cymbal taps, middle eastern keyboards and alto vocaleese of Gilmour on CAREFUL WITH THAT AXE, EUGENE.

Live, it is a certified classic-though Im sure it would terrify the folks whe think PF began with DSOTM...

Astronomy Dominie is 4.5 star, and Gilmour, though ashamed of THE NARROW WAY,shouldnt be- I find it to be a very decent song when you consider the times. The rest is forgetable, including Saucerful of Secrets-it was incomprehensible in the studio, and the live version would be a good cure for insomnia.
on 12 April 2013
got to be a cllassic album,added to my growing list of albums,have them all now but some need replacing so on we go
on 19 November 2014
bought this album because of nostalgia and I have enjoyed hearing tracks such as " several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict "the best track I think ,the rest of the tracks are worthy but some are too worthy .
I think this album is if you want a Pink Floyd collection otherwise I would not bother ,there are better to spend your money on , I got mine very cheap
on 27 April 2017
I have been intending obtaining a cd copy of this album for some time now my original vinyl copy was not a good pressing being a typical massed produced pressing and who knows what generation master tape, also, someone managed to walk off with it many years ago when we had a party in the house. (This is a much better cleaner production)
on 15 May 2007
I feel sorry for all those sad 'reviewers' who only discovered Pink Floyd after they became rich. easy-listening muzak. Listen to them when they had something new to say. I might be biased because I saw all this live back in the olden days - but it still cuts it.
44 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 July 2013
an old album I remember from my youth and glad to have it back in my collection on cd great
on 6 August 2014
I had the vinyl version of this when I was a student and wanted to hear it again. I preferred the live tracks. My favourite track of all time is Echoes (Meddle album) and I could hear some bits on the studio album which reminded me of it. It was a nostalgic journey for me. In my view not a classic, but what do I know because I don't really enjoy Dark Side of the Moon!!
on 5 September 2014
I've had this forever on vinyl. Great to hear it remastered and hearing it anywhere I want to. Sublime music.
on 3 October 2015
If you follow ( or `like`) Pink Floyd then you must include this album.