Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 9 September 2011
This review is for the newly restored Blu-ray version of Carmen. This filmed version has been reviewed many times but as far as I am aware only two other persons have reviewed the Blu-ray versions. With this in mind I will concentrate my attention on the technical quality of the disc. Suffice to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the majority of people who commend the quality of the performance. It is superb and Julia Migenes is a fabulous Carmen. So sexy! How could anyone fail to be seduced by such a performance!

But now I must turn my attention to the video quality. I should say at the outset that video quality is important to me and I expect high standards from Blu-ray discs. However, there are many films of a similar vintage where the Blu-ray restoration has been far more effective. At the start of film the quality was reasonably good but it has to be said that the video quality dropped off as the film progressed and the quality soon deteriorated during the outside night scenes or where the lighting levels were lower. The video is on the soft side and the picture sharpness is only up to medium to good dvd levels - certainly not Blu-ray quality. I suspect that the fault lies with the original print rather than the restorative process. Who was the lighting engineer, I wonder? The video quality does improve quite a bit in the final 2 chapters but that does not wholly compensate for the large proportion of the film where the quality is not even up to a good modern dvd.

However, this is a historic film with fabulous performances from all the lead singers. For me it is the benchmark Carmen, despite a slight disappointment with the video quality. There is a choice of soundtracks, all of which are good although I preferred the 5.1 HD Master Sound mix. There is a good picture within picture chapter selection and the disc comes with a couple of informative extras. Most of these extras are in standard definition and at least one is reassured that the Blu-ray version is an improvement on the standard dvd.

The video quality must lead to a drop in the star rating. However, rest assured that the performance is top rate and is deserving of 5 stars!
88 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2017
I am so glad that so many people really enjoy this production because I was disappointed with it. The pace seemed to me to be very slow and it made me wonder whether the conductor was playing at the pace the composer asked for. To me it lacked passion and I found the acting of Placido Domingo particularly to be not of the quality and intensity I have seen before. But then I am a great admirer of his work, particularly the Zefferilli versions of La Traviata and Othello which are rich passionate pacey and colourful. and I suppose I was hoping for a Spanish very of Traviata and didn't get it. It was quite a different interpretation. So there we are.
on 13 July 2017
This is the definitive Carmen- Julia Migenes plays the role with some of the finest acting and the director outdoes himself on the locations. The music is amazing and keeps you enthralled until the dramatic finale. One of the best- you won't regret it.
on 14 August 2017
Just what I wanted
on 5 April 2017
Perfect in every way and a great edition!
on 30 August 2017
Excellent
on 15 May 2017
Brilliant
on 18 August 2017
This film is really difficult to get hold of. Not available on DVD so this VHS. Video was a rare find. It arrived on time & securely packaged. Really enjoyed this rare treat!
on 27 April 2017