on 6 November 2011
I was looking for a low cost player for a bedroom, size and cost most important consideration. Sumvision may not be a brand most people recognise but they are quite big in computer peripherals, so I wasn't concerned about this. On opening it I was surprised at how small it is, about the width of 2 dvds and just slightly deeper. It also feels quite sturdy and well built. The remote control is a good size but feels a bit lightweight, and the buttons are really too small for comfortable operation.

Loads of connectivity on the back panel; scart, HDMI, coaxial, video +L/R sound, and 5.1 channel audio to boot. On the front panel there's an SD card slot and a USB port.

Hooked it up through the HDMI port selected the menu option to find that everything was all setup, just had to change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9. Tried it out with a DVD and very impressed with the picture, TV input monitor showed it as a 1080p signal so clearly upscaling as advertised. Also noticed how quiet it is in operation. Then tried it with a DVD-R, a CD, a CD-R, and a DVD rom with AVI files on, all played faultlessly. The same when I plugged in a USB stick with AVI files on. The only input I didn't try was the SD slot, and I wasn't able to try DVD+R either.

So overall, a great spec for the price, good picture quality, perfect for a bedroom. Drops a star because the remote control could be better to be honest.
68 people found this helpful
on 22 November 2011
This DVD player is made by Sum Vision of China. In the box with the player are instruction book, remote control with batteries, and rudimentary connecting leads (scart and 3-plug to 3-plug composite). There is a socket for HDMI but no lead. Other features are listed in the technical details on this page. The top and front of the player are covered with cling film; after much squinting and face pulling I managed to remove it. The player is about two-thirds of the width of my previous player which was a Philips. Allowing for connections and ventilation, I would say the Phoenix needs an overall space about 12 inches (30cm) square. The player looks compact, robust and straightforward. Manual operation is a bit clunky and the remote control is medium size with tiny buttons that seem to be designed for slender Chinese fingers. The mains input socket is uncomfortably close to the scart socket, and so it is difficult to keep the two leads from touching. The player makes very little noise when running - which is a blessing. The maximum fast forward/backward speed is 16x. I have a very simple TV & 2-speaker audio setup and saw no reason to depart from the player's default settings. I tried a Region 1 DVD, Region 2, Region 4, homemade DVD-R, CD and homemade disc of mp3s, and it played them all with commendable ease without any adjustments being necessary. The only peculiarity that I've noticed so far is that the LED display on the front of the unit does not show hours; therefore a DVD at 1hour 10 mins and 40 secs shows as just 10 mins and 40 secs. This can be a little confusing at times but there is, however, an OSD button to reveal the full and proper time elapsed and time remaining. The Phoenix is no world beater but I paid £36.95 and consider it to be worth every penny.
11 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2016
This could have been a great little item, I needed to take it on holiday to watch DVD's and videos from a USB memory stick and was multi-region so not a problem when playing DVD's from abroad. So I received the item pretty quickly.

First Impressions
-------------------------
It's a nice small unit with lots of connection options so you can connect to all kinds of TV devices.
The remote control was a bit cheap looking but seemed to offer what was needed.

Problems
--------------
The main problem was that the DVD player didn't actually work, it made a horrible whirring sound and ended up just taking up room in my suitcase because it wasn't really usable. The USB device did work however navigation was a little difficult and basic.

Conclusion
----------------
If it worked I'm sure it would be quite a useful little unit for the price - the software should really be updated to something a little more user friendly. I did return the item and receive a refund but it's a shame I had to.
on 12 December 2015
I bought this Sumvision Phoenix SV70 DVD player to replace a previous old model Sumvision player that had stopped loading DVD's & CD.s.

On receiving the new model, I was really impressed with its compact size, and if anything, I think that both the picture and sound quality has been improved in this upgraded model.

Yes, you do have to play around with the sound and picture settings a bit to tweak it to its full potential and I've switched off the default memory setting which stores the last played CD & DVD position, as I find this annoying. I haven't got a problem with the handset though, which works fine, but the instruction manual isn't that great and you have to use quite a bit of trial and error in finding the best settings. I've got the unit connected up to a 37" Samsung TV and Soundbar and the picture and sound is fantastic. The upscaling really does work, but surprisingly its not on by default. Contrary to some other reviews, my player worked straight away when I plugged in the HDMI cable. I didn't have to use the scart first.

All in all this is a great piece of kit. Incidentally, since buying the player, I've got my old Sumvision DVD player working again, thanks to a £1.99 DVD/CD cleaning kit. I perhaps should have tried that in the first place, but I can now use the old player in the bedroom.
on 16 August 2011
new to this game am disabled so please allow for mistakes have found this dvd so very good that i have now bought four for friends. it plays all the regions that its supposed to ,easy to just plug n play straight from box will be getting more soon. thanks you, [SUMO VISION DVD PLAYERS] for a brilliant unit. Had a problem with the first unit wich was got from a local shop very bad remote, played region 1 with no sound otherwise good unit as well
24 people found this helpful
on 29 May 2015
Plays everything I've tried perfectly. Having the usb port is a real bonus!
I only use scart leads so I can't comment on the HD set up, but it's very easy to set up and comes with full details instructions just in case you want to do anything more complicated.
For anyone worried about this player not being from a well known brand, this is my fourth region free player (the others being brand name) and it's much less temperamental than the others have been. There's no skipping, no weird colours, no problems with the sound.
I can't believe people have given it a low rating just because of the remote, it's not at all flimsy and I have had no problem at all with the size of it or the buttons, all I can say is: don't buy things from petite Asians and expect them to fit giant man hands!
One person found this helpful
on 13 November 2015
I wanted a multi region player cos sick of me favourite shows only being released onto region 1, this was in my price range, and I just can't understand the negative reviews, its a superb bit of kit, I've no unnecessary noise from the machine,played region 2 DVD n sound/pictures perfick, had CD playing this morning and that's fine,got region 1 series in post n I can't c that causing any probs. There's no HDMI cable included,so instead buying one,I've used the coaxial leads that were supplied-will def buy anuva n be recommending

Update Fri 20th Nov 2015 my season 2 region 1 boxset COACH playing brilliantly on the player

WED 6TH JAN 2016 another update and unfortunately it's bad, drop in stars as well from 5 to 2,works OK with region 1 DVDs but region 2 I'm getting a "raspberry sound" throughout and I know its not the DVD,because I used the same dvds in my built in tele
on 5 February 2015
delivered very quickly - well packaged - as described - no hassles - would us again.

The player itself is nice and small. (some may say compact). has all the features described in amazon page.
really simple to set up. Style is not super sleek minimal etc but the function is the key. you look at the screen not the player.
Weirdly the remote control looks EXACTLY the same as the control on my last DVD play BUT the buttons have different functions- or to put it another way the features are allocated to different buttons. Either way its learning curve to press the right buttons occasionally.
It came with a scart and an RGB lead and batteries for the remote.
The manual is sufficient.
I haven't used all the features yet but simple playback was achieved in seconds. literally just plug and play.
I have tried different region discs, ntsc and pal and it all works instantly.
VERY IMPRESSED FOR THE PRICE

ACID TEST: would I buy again/recommend - YES
on 18 January 2015
After reading the reviews I decided to give this one a try. Speedy delivery. Lightweight and compact as every has commented on. The remote being small isn't really a problem. Trivial when you only need to press open/close and play! Set up was very easy. Plug in and go! I used the scart but will be trying the hdmi soon. Dvd plays really well. No issues there. And can confirm both the sd card slot and the usb both play downloaded movies. I had one on my netbook that I tried and both had great picture quality and sound. My only issue is, it says it plays all formats. But after downloading other films on BRrip. DVDRip MP4 they won't play! So if someone can pinpoint what it will play, PLEASE let me know, as its a bit hit and miss what it will or won't play.
on 13 February 2015
Sadly, whilst this product offered all I wanted I experienced difficulties from the start. It deleted music from the first memory stick I tried and left me anxious every time I inserted one. It had problems reading both sticks and SD cards and whilst it mostly, eventually got there, it was often a process of re-inserting or going over the same selection processes with long delays, quite frustrating. This is a budget device and I did not expect 'the world' from it but simple efficient functioning is a basic requirement. Perhaps just one faulty piece of equipment, others seem to have had a more positive experience.
Amazon and seller have both been helpful and responsive and promised a return with full refund.