Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard|Format: Box|Change

on 14 January 2012
I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed games since the first one and I was looking forward to seeing the return of Altair, as well as a lot of loose ends being tied up that have done nothing but multiplied over the sequels. So what was my reaction when I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations?

Well to put it lightly, I wasn't impressed at all. Read on if you want, but I'll warn you, there are some minor spoilers below.

First of all, everything just seems so rushed. And when I say everything, I mean literally everything. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the fact that it has only been a year since Brotherhood was released, but Ubisoft can do a lot better than this. It took me about 7 hours to complete Revelations. Okay, 7 hours is a long time, but compare that to Assassin's Creed 2's length. It took me about 20 hours to complete that game. So you can see why I was disappointed, especially considering that Revelations was supposed to wrap everything up. You can't wrap everything up in such a short amount of time, and they actually didn't. The so-called "Revelation" was just a CGI cutscene about something we already knew about, the world ending before and the ones that came before, that's it. I'm all for making the story more interesting but I think the majority of people can agree with me here when I say that this whole 'ones that came before' thing is getting a bit ridiculous now. Even the intro felt rushed because it was basically just an extended version of the CGI trailer shown at E3.

Secondly, there is less of everything. I know that there are some people out there who will say that "less is more", but those people should try playing Revelations. There are less outfits, less missions and less stuff to do in general. We get two cities to explore this time, Constantinople and the underground city (forgot the name). Constantinople is much smaller than Rome and there isn't anything to do at all in the underground city, so it's not even worth mentioning.

New main features are bomb making and the hookblade. Bomb making is fun, but there really isn't any need to use it at all. You can pretty much play through the game (excluding one particular mission) without using them at all. Plus gathering ingredients for the bombs you want can get tedious sometimes. The hookblade is definitely a welcome feature, but there is one problem. When Ubisoft told everyone about ziplining to get accross the city faster, they failed to mention that you could only zipline from a certain side of the city. Of course, they replaced horses with ziplines so if you're on a downhill section of the city you're going to have to walk up like any other normal citizen and believe me when I say that the game puts you in that predicament very regularly.

AC1 players looking forward to the return of Altair will be greatly disappointed to discover that there are only 6 memories actually involving Altair and they are very short. All of them take place in Masyaf and most of the time there can be one of two things you'll be doing: Either fighting your way to the fortress at the top of the hill, or fighting your way to the bottom of the hill. There's even one memory where Altair should be in all fairness wearing his black armour that Ezio acquires during AC2, but for some reason he is still wearing his white robes. Again, it's just something else that seems so overlooked and rushed.

Templar Towers are back from Brotherhood, only this time the Templars can attack your Assassin Dens if Ezio becomes too notorious. Now by reading that, you probably think "oh, that sounds quite good, at least it keeps you occupied". Well, what if I told you that instead of having some regular AC based mission such as perhaps killing the attackers, it goes into this weird mode called 'Den Defence' where you'll be commanding Assassins from the rooftops surrounding the area which you need to defend? It probably doesn't sound too bad with how I described it, but believe me, it really is awful.

Then there's the Desmond memories. I'm sorry for saying this so harshly, but whoever thought of making the Desmond memories how they are should be given the sack. They aren't fun at all, they're just weird gameplay sections that take place in first person view and you've got to make your way around the levels using these blocks which you place down around you to climb places. When you get to a certain part of the level, Desmond will start talking about his past. When Ubisoft said that we'd get an idea of what Desmond's past was before he was captured, this isn't exactly what I had in mind. I would have just settled for regular memories with Desmond being the playable character.

For my last complaint about gameplay... Where the heck did Ubisoft put the VR Training feature? I spent hours on that mode alone, and it definitely would have helped with having nothing to do on this game!

Soundtrack is okay, but it is far too repetitive. The main theme of Revelations plays far too often for its own good. Graphics have improved but there some major glitches on some of the outfits. I know the outfits for Assassin's Creed have always been like this, but Revelations outfits are the worst of them all.

Despite all of the bad things that I'm saying about Revelations however, there are some things about the game that I did like. For example, Ubisoft have finally ditched the silly wanted posters on chimneys. Combat is actually challenging when you're facing higher ranking guards this time, especially now that guns have pretty much replaced archery. Eagle Vision has improved. Finally, the game has the same old AC gameplay that we all love... There just isn't as much to do with it as the previous games.

Now you're all probably wondering why I haven't said anything about the multiplayer so far and that's because I can't say anything. I tried getting into a match and in the entire half an hour it spent in the matchmaking lobby, it didn't find enough people to actually start a match. I also don't like saying much about the multiplayer because Assassin's Creed was just fine without it before, and the singleplayer has really downgraded since Ubisoft decided to introduce the feature.

Revelations is yet another example of a game that becomes too heavily focused on the multiplayer aspect that the singleplayer goes completely downhill as a result. Now I'm not saying that the game is terrible because it is quite decent, but it is definitely not what I have come to expect from an Assassin's Creed game.

Story: 3/5
Gameplay: 4/5
Content: 3/5
Graphics: 4/5
Sounds: 3/5
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2011
So far I love the game. Compared to the last 2, there isn't much difference in terms of game play, but in a way that is a good thing. The strength of the game lies with the characters and the storyline. The addition of the hook blade and the bombs makes fighting a hell of a lot more fun and less tedious. Constantinople?? Instead of Italy? Awesome.
The side quests of finding the Masayaf keys is exactly the same as the last couple of games, AC2 > assassins tombs, ACB > Lair of Romulus, although I have to say, the side quest of when you fall through a tower and through the ground to reveal a gigantic chasm underground left me speechless, so much so I replayed it 3 times afterwards, so no complaints there.

The only thing I feel I need to complain about is the defence of the assassin dens. While the idea itself is new and interesting, the whole concept is a pain. My way of playing is going in kicking ass by myself and saving the day, but sitting on roof tops doing jack and commanding assassins to fire nothing but arrows and guns to stop wave after wave of soldiers and in the end a huge contraption that knocks down your defences anyway? Poor. Frustrated me to no bitter end. So in the end, I gave up and spent a large amount of time trying to avoid being in the full notoriety (which is the only time Templars can attack your dens) and it takes a lot of time as you no longer have posters. Only a handful of heralds and very rarely do you get an official to kill. The whole notoriety thing I could deal with if it wasn't backed up by the fact if you buy a shop your notoriety goes up by 1/4. While I can appreciate they've got to do something new, the whole past paragraph really does but a downer on the game. Sorry guys. Let down.

But in general, so far, the game is excellent, well worth the money and I bought the collector's edition, and I have to say, I'm a geek, and the box is awesome! If you are a fan of the AC collection, it is worth it, if you're the type to really get into the game and don't have your expectation so high for something different. BUY THE GAME.
on 5 February 2012
I didn't really like the first Assassin's Creed because of its repetitive nature, Assassins Creed 2 was a major improvement to the series and one of my favourite games of all time, Assassins Creed Brotherhood (A.K.A- Assassins Creed 2.5) wasn't a great improvement to the series but was still fun. And now Revelations (A.K.A- Assassins Creed 2.75) is out, it is a better improvement than Brotherhood but its mostly the same. Note- I didn't play the multiplayer.

The good stuff:
1. The story is very good, it continues the story of Ezio who is now into his fifties but can still climb buildings, take on a hundred guards and flirt with a 20 year old women. It also continues the story ark about desmond who is in a coma after (SPOILER ALERT) he is he forced to killed his fish liped girlfriend at the end of brotherhood and he has to relive the memories of ezio and altair to get back to his body.
2. The freerunning is still great and is made better with the hookblade (more on that later).
3. The open world of Contantinople is big and full of stuff.
4. You get two new weapons to your arsenal, as if the hidden blade, double hidden blade, poison blade, poison darts, parachute, sword, dagger, crossbow, unarmed combat, throwing knives and a gun wasn't enough. You get to craft bombs (shrapnel, poison, decoy etc) and get a hookblade which allows you to perform more counterkills, ride on zip lines and grab things which are slightly out of Ezio's reach.
5. You can recuit assassins again to do your dirty work for you.
6. You can rebuild buildings and renovate them.
7. There are Desmond missions after you collect a certain amount of data fragments hidden throughout Contantinople, they don't last long as there are 5 in total but are a great addition to the game and the story.
8. You get to play a out of place but well designed tower defense minigame.
9. There is a lot of content throughout the game.
10. Some of the missions are really fun.

The bad stuff:
1. Its still too easy.
2. The lacking enemy AI during the swordfighting can lead to long combat sections as they don't attack straight on.
3. Like brotherhood, some missions started to get really stale and old.
4. Like brotherhood again, the economy is unbalanced. You will still end up with lots of money halfway through the game if you renovate everything.
5. The problem with the plot is that there is not much at stake.
6. Once you recuit assassins you can get them to do all the assassinations for you, taking the fun out of the game.

Once again, like brotherhood, its more of the same but Revelations manages to refine the game while it introduces new content.
Highly recommended.
on 15 November 2011
Assassin's Creed Revelations is a great way to carry on an amazing series. The scenery differs a lot from the last two games because it is set in Constantinople instead of Italy. This makes the game a lot more interesting because in Brotherhood I felt the Italy theme had started to grow a bit old. I am only a few hours into it but I can say I am enjoying it even more than the others. Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood seemed to have quite a few bugs but it seems they have all been fixed in this as I haven't encountered anything even the slightest bit wrong. At the moment, it is drawing with Skyrim for my favourite game of the year, but we shall see...
on 17 November 2011
First off, I'm a huge AC fan, which can bring problems of its own in meeting expectations. Secondly, by any standards this is a great game. But after having completed it, I think that the law of diminishing returns is beginning to make the AC2 spin-off genre a little repetitive and cumbersome.
Anyone who's played AC1 or AC2 won't need any introduction, as everything is familiar and if anything, this is the most action-packed of the series, with some great free-running and assassination sequences. But the problem is that it's a bit too familiar and there's almost nothing new here. We have the introduction of the hook blade, which allows for some great new movement and the crafting of bombs is also introduced, which is a pleasant sideshow but not vital to the story. Aside from that, there's minimum innovation when playing Ezio. The developer has taken the landscapes of AC1 (Constantinople) and put Ezio into them - very little else has changed. Brotherhood made some fundamental additions such as Assassin training, renovation, kill streaks - there's none of that here.
What we do get is a bit more on Desmond, whose own memories are fractured inside the Animus (don't ask me!) and he's marooned on Animus island, which bears more than a passing resemblance to The Fade of the Dragon Age world. In the process of setting him free, you'll venture inside the Animus itself to reveal more of his past. I found these passages very frustrating but ultimately quite clever, as they force you to think in a very different way to that when you play as Ezio or Altair.
The biggest problem is the ending. We find out what happened to Altair but Ezio's fate remains largely undetermined - and frankly I don't feel like another game just to find this out. The final events of Brotherhood are also not explained in this game and regardless of what other fan material there is, I think they should have been.
So despite the fact that, yes, it's a very good game, I don't understand how there is a year's worth of development here. It feels lazy, a fusion of previously-coded elements with a few bells and whistles rather than a proper episode. The memory sequences are short and while there is plenty packed in, it is a little too close to style over substance. Moreover, there is a lack of "Revelation" in the game throughout that leaves many questions still unanswered.
For that reason and for the lack of new features, I'm only scoring this an average and I hope that the next AC episode will move us on into new times, places and characters. But if you are an AC fan, you are going to buy this anyway and although it's a bit of a re-hash, chances are that you won't be too disappointed.
As a fan of the Assassin's Creed series I've been part of a massive countdown for the release of this game. It's been a long wait and whilst for Ezio its been centuries for us its felt almost as long, in this his final outing.

What the game gives the player is more of the same with some new additions, firstly the inclusion of bombs (which did leave me wondering what the makers were considering when they added this feature) and a throwback to Altair with a separate storyline featuring Desmond.

Whilst I had a lot of fun with Ezio and Altair, I did find the separate chapters with Desmond simplistic and to be honest boring as it felt more like a step back than forward as you had to work out the solutions to puzzles utilising shapes. For me, it didn't add anything to the game and I'd have wandered round as Desmond fighting where need be and of course utilising his own escape from the compound. It would have added a better layer to the game than what was presented.

Overall the game was a lot of fun and it had a lot of options for the players to utilise. However where the bombs are concerned I would suggest that you try them out to figure out which ones suit your style of play. (I happen to like the sticky treasure bomb and smoke grenades.) Finally the game will please a lot of fans for what it does but the conclusion will leave you wondering what the next excerpt will bring to the fore. With luck a female lead character such as the ancestors whose burial chambers were investigated in Assassins Creed 2.
on 6 March 2012
It seems to me that a new production team has taken over the core of this game and really hasn't understood what makes it great.

Something I haven't seen anyone point out yet is that in the games so far the control system was based solidly on a 'puppet' system - ie Y for head, X and B for arms, A for legs - Which they have implemented in all the games so far. But in this one (simply because they want to shoehorn their precious bombs in) they throw the puppet control system away. (Yet they still refer to it in the game help menu as a puppet system?)

So now, you effectively use your right arm (B) to talk. Eh? And your head (Y) to throw bombs. ..riiight. It may not seem a big issue but it clearly shows the lack of respect the new makers have for this series. They just break the system to fit their ends.

And bombs. Oh god why? I do not associate bombs with assassins. Terrorists, yes. Assassins are about STEALTH. The whole bomb dynamic is shoehorned into this game, most likely by focus groups who wanted to appeal to a more COD player... But again, it just breaks the gameplay. All over the city are 'bomb crafting tables', you know, those 'bomb crafting tables' we heard so much about in history lessons? And of course we all remember being told that next to every bomb crafting table was.. ? - Yes of course, a pigeon coop. WTF? It just doesn't hold together, and really undermines this series.

I know some aspects of AC are ludicrous (leap of faith), but they never broke the dynamics so much just to fit in a new element. In AC:B the pigeon coops were naturally on the roofs, and it made sense that you would use them to communicate with your assassins. There has always been an attempt to keep things within the realms of some sort of reality. Until now.

Then there's Desmond's appearance. He isn't the same. Why? And treasure chests now don't really hold treasure now, just.. bomb making stuff... yawn. Not interested. Loot bodies, and get ? Bomb making stuff. Everything is centered around bomb making. Aaaagh! I don't care. I don't want to manage my bomb resources and put bombs together, I want to run and hide and creep and swim and leap and ASSASSINATE. That's cool. Lumping together bomb bits in an item resource management screen is not.

And your notoriety now goes up if you buy a shop. Why?!

Tower Defence. Ugh. As I said, it's as if this new team hasn't understood this game at all.

It looks pretty and is still fun in parts, but only the parts they haven't changed.
on 19 February 2012
Assassins creed returns with "Revelations" the odd thing is it doesn't deliver any revelations in story or gameplay.

This to me is just a fast rehash of old game concepts repackaged into a quick money making scheme.

The story is umemorable, it starts promisingly with Ezio on Altairs trail in environments from the first game, that drew me is as I have played the series from the get-go, but it just never went anywhere with it. Everything felt rushed and underdeveloped, it was actually worse than Brotherhood. Shouldnt it be better?

Nothing has moved in the assassins creed world since number 2, they haven't even reworked the combat system, the graphics, or the gameplay in any way, and now it shows, badly.

The story is dull as ditch water after being stretched so thinly over four games it has lost its appeal completely, I found myself pulled into the world of Desmond, Altair, and Ezio in the first two games, and moving to Rome on the tail of the Borgia in brotherhood was still exiting. But now all this is done, revelations has no drive to it, no underpinning story, it didn't even recreate or introduce any new or memorable characters. The devices like puzzles and glyphs, were not included, neither was Leonardo DaVinci which isn't too bad, but no one replaced this character as Ezios right hand man either.

It felt trite and tired, Istanbul just felt like Rome but repackaged, the same old devices were used. They just remodelled it a bit. Hey tried to add new 'mini games' such as "den defence" but even that felt unfinished, frustrating, and somewhat pointless. All the guards, their activities, weapons, and tactics haven't changed since the first game. I found myself just rushing it to see if anything happened; alas it never did, and it was over as swiftly as it started.

Assassins Creed Revelations is a huge let down. It doesn't nothing new, it offers nothing to the series. Even Desmonds "memories" which you explore as three dimensional platform type puzzles, serve no real purpose, and feel unfinished.

The series has lost all direction and purpose. And seems to have dumbed down a lot and resided itself to online multiplayer. Assassins Creed once offered an interesting story steeped in history with vivid characters and original gameplay. Now it's just a cheap cash cow for Ubisoft.
on 15 August 2012
Ezio's adventure has been wonderful. He's probably my favorite character in this generation of consoles.

So back to Revelations .... it's good, very good, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I did Brotherhood. It's hard to say exactly why, maybe there is very little new and what is new isn't actually much fun, (AC tower defense I'm talking to you). The sections involving Desmond have always been some sort of penance you have to pay to get back to the game you really want to play and I found I disliked them even more this time around.

Before this turns into a 2 star review ... It's still a great game and well worth playing. The basic game mechanics are just as good as they have been since the start of Ezio's adventure, I particularly enjoy rebuild the city, managing the team of Assassins all the while playing out Ezio's story.

So 4 out of 5, which would have been a 5 if they'd introduced some good new mechanics.

Roll on AC 3, can't wait.
on 27 November 2013
I have enjoyed all the assassin's creed games but this is the one i always enjoy going back to to play again,
the variety of weapons/explosives is fun!
The city you play is just the right size to enjoy, not too small you get bored quickly not too large you get fedup with running everywhere
The 'brootherhood' style of having recruits is improved and very fun!

The storyline is great too!