on 24 May 2011
If you are generally offended by Southpark or Team America, or had no desire to see them, then I would imagine you won't like this either. But since it has the same creators shouldn't that be obvious????

There is a lot here for people who are more Broadway then Southpark fans too though, especially all the little homages to other musicals throughout (Wicked progressions in 'you and me', 'Hasa Diga' - Lion King, and 'I Believe' parodies Sound of Music.) About 1/2 the soundtrack is highly addictive and will stick in your head - careful singing some of those lyrics in public though! The rest is enjoyable, but the highlights for me are the first five songs and I Believe.

You also have to have a sense of humor about religion in general to appreciate the musical, but I can say as a rather liberal Christian I didn't find it offensive - but you need to have an open mind and also realize there is in-show context to the songs that makes the overall message less offensive then the straight lyrics. Overall, especially having seen the actual show, the show is quite good-hearted about religion and although it pokes fun at Mormonism I didn't find it to be mean spirited.

For the one star reviewers(particularly on itunes)... why are you seeking out something you are predisposed to find offensive? If you don't like it.... Turn it off, like a light switch... or put it in a box and CRUSH IT! ;)
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2016
I am not a fan of musicals, I need a heaped spoonful of satire to survive people singing, dancing and smiling at me for a few hours. Hence this is the one and only musical I adore and I knew I would. For a long time after seeing the show in January this album was all I wanted to listen to. I've only just started to listen to other albums again. I was a fan of South Park and the Bigger Longer soundtrack and Team America beforehand - they were telling just how well it would work these guys making a stage musical. It works without the show, though no one should miss it performed...
on 23 June 2012
From the creative geniuses behind "South Park" and "Avenue Q" comes the soundtrack to the multi Tony Award winning musical "The Book of Mormon" and what a soundtrack it is! South Park co-creator Trey Parker's fascination with the Mormon faith is well documented in his various works including "Orgazmo" and the classic "South Park" epsiode "All About Mormons" so it can come as no surprise that it features so prominently in his latest project. Joined by his regular collaborator and "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone and Robert Lopez co-writer of the puppet based musical "Avenue Q" they have managed to create something quite special. If you're a fan of their previous work then you need to buy this album. "The Book of Mormon" is hilarious, offensive and gives you a toe tappingly good time.

These guys are lucky that Christian Extremists don't have their finger on the pop culture pulse like the Muslim extremists do because they'd be the top of their hit lists. "Hasa Diga Eebowai" features references to giving God a good rodgering in several places that are bound to offend anyone who's a huge fan of the big man. The Book of Mormon is not for the easily offended. The humour prevalent in "South Park", "Team America", "Orgazmo" and "Avenue Q" is rife here. No one is safe from these guys and they don't pull their punches. The language used is as strong as you'd expect and really isn't suitable for young kids unless you want one of those awkward phone calls from their teacher expressing their concern at the number of colourful metaphors your children appear to know.

The songs are brilliant. There are tributes and side swipes at many of the major musicals ("Lion King" being one of the more obvious ones). There's not really a bad track on here but for me there are some clear stand out songs. "I Believe" has to be my personal favourite track here and it is a true epic that proves this show is the equal to any musical on Broadway. "I Am Africa" is another classic and my first taste of "The Book of Mormon". "Making Things Up Again" is also a stand out song for me although I'll never know what frogs have done deserve to be inflicted to such atrocities.

In short listen to the samples here, search Youtube for the Tony Awards performance of "I Believe" and then buy this album and learn it word for word.
on 24 November 2011
Being a fan of the musicals, but not-so-much of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I was unsure if I would enjoy this show. I was surprised to find that I found it enormously entertaining. Listening to the music had me frequently tapping my foot and the lyrics are almost annoyingly catchy, though you might want to be wary about singing the more explicit ones in a public place, though it's sometimes difficult to stop yourself.

One of the things I especially enjoyed were the references to other musicals, such as a not-so-covert reference to The Sound of Music in "I believe", the music that reminded me very strongly of "Defying Gravity" in Wicked in "You and Me (but mostly me)". It isn't all comedy, however, and I found "Sal Tlay Ka Siti" surprisingly emotionally affecting.

The CD is marked "explicit", and it would be fair to say that the lyrics are not to the taste of persons of sensitive temperaments who are likely to be offended by strong language. Extremely conservative persons may also not enjoy this show. However, persons of faith could still enjoy this as it doesn't mock religion per se. People I know who consider themselves religious, including myself, still enjoy this show for what it is - a very entertaining piece of modern theatre.

As a benchmark, if you enjoyed "Avenue Q", you will probably enjoy "The Book of Mormon".
on 7 April 2013
I bought this CD together with The Book of Mormon: The Complete Book and Lyrics of the Broadway Musical as I had managed to get a ticket for the London show and wanted to get to know the music and lyrics beforehand. This recording did not disappoint and Andrew Rannells is superb as Elder Price. If you are avoiding listening to the CD before you see the show as you don't want to know all the jokes before you go into the theatre, don't worry. The songs are highly amusing in their own right, but seeing them performed on the stage is a completely different matter. The opening number "Hello" is pretty much perfect - a simple start then building up an increasingly foot-tapping rhythm, gradually adding more and more voices, leading to a terrific musical climax - but not much lyrical humour. In the theatre, you don't hear much of the first line ("Hello - my name is Elder Price") as the way Gavin Creel delivered his "Hello" had the audience in stitches rendering the rest of the line inaudible. The rest of the show followed on in much the same way. Those South Park guys really know how to work an audience.

The booklet that comes with the CD deserves a special mention. Not just the lyrics, but also an article by Frank Rich, a full synopsis of the story giving the context to the songs (which is important, as other reviewers have mentioned) and many photographs of the show, rehearsals and design sketches. In fact, this booklet has more content related to the show than the very disappointing programme that they sell at the Prince of Wales Theatre. I really didn't want to read about Rowan Atkinson, Haydn Gwynne's pre-show rituals, playwright John Logan, Rogers and Hammerstein "at the movies" or the actress currently starring in "Peter and Alice". I wanted to know more about the show I had paid to see! The programme has the biographies and credits for the show, but that is all - not even a list of songs!

Now - are they going to record a London Cast album? Gavin Creel and Jared Gertner were brilliant as Elders Price and Cunningham, and I hope they have a long run in the West End production.
on 15 April 2013
We went to see this at the Prince of Wales theatre in London the day before it premiered and although I didn't really know what to expect, I absolutely loved it.

The music and lyrics are clever and witty, although not recommended for those with delicate ears! If you're a fan of South Park and have seen Orgazmo and felt amused rather than outraged, then you'll enjoy this.
on 19 August 2013
This is the funniest musical I have seen and heard in my life. Brilliant lyrics and tunes. Although superficially offensive, the story is a good and relevant one: I dont think it reflects totally negatively on Mormons. There are far more whacky belief systems than this.
on 25 August 2013
Having seen the show it was great to hear all the songs again and the recording of the original Broadway cast is terrific. It's a good old fashioned musical with a warm heart and a simple message - AND some words you won't have heard in song lyrics before! Enjoy!
on 2 July 2013
Great soundtrack; not for the easily offended! If you've seen the show and loved it then buy away! Great quality download. Amazon downloader was a bit of a pain to use first time but once I had 'authorised' my computer it downloaded just fine..
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 11 July 2015
After finding out that the songwriter for Disney's "Frozen" (Bobby Lopez) was behind the songs in the Book of Mormon, I was really curious to hear his songs in this musical. I wanted to listen to this CD to get an idea of what the musical would be like before investing in West End tickets which are very pricey. To be honest, after listening to the CD I now almost feel like I've seen the musical!

The musical is full of catchy songs that I find myself humming hours after listening to them, and you really get a feel for the story covered in the show just from the CD. The story is simultaneously silly, funny, very loosely educational about Mormons, and has a more serious underlying message that is in some ways anti-religion so will probably resonate best with athiests, agnostics and people who don't take the sanctity of religion too seriously.

Important Note: Although written by the songwriter of Frozen, this is no Disney-esque musical! It is definitely for an edgier adult audience. The show pokes fun of Mormons and to some extent Christianity. The lyrics to many of the songs are full of risque (and sometimes blasphemous) humour, with a liberal sprinkling of swear words, so if you're sensitive to that - this probably isn't the musical for you.