on 25 July 2013
This book is the best I have come across for working with parents of anxious children. I work as a clinical psychologist and use this book with my colleagues to run a group for parents. They all find the book and the ideas within it extremely helpful, and we have seen many family make big changes based on the ideas here.

I have also recommended this book to many other clinicians who have found it invaluable.

One of my favourite aspects of the book is the 'anxiety dance' i.e. the subtle and not so subtle actions and reactions that parents and children perform in the face of anxiety. This metaphor helps enormously and parents find it a helpful way to look at the relationship patterns between them and their child that are inadvertently keeping difficulties going.

This book is compassionate, non-blaming, easy to read - an absolute gem.
on 16 February 2014
I looked at a number of books for parenting anxious children but found all the CBT based books felt dismissive of a child's experience and view of the world...sometimes (always?) anxious behaviours are adaptive responses to the world around them, and in order to reduce anxiety the child 'just' needs to feel safe. I think that feeling heard and understood by your parent is key to feeling safe, and that CBT, to me, seems judgemental in its approach and almost dismissive of those very big real feelings some children experience, especially those with a background of trauma. I think the CBT approach as I've seen it presented ( admittedly not working with a professional) risks breaking that bond of safety and trust. For that reason I much prefer the mindfulness / ACT approach outlined here, which is compassionate, accepting, kind. Anecdotally it seems to have been really effective for my daughter.
on 21 February 2010
This is quite simply one of the best clinical texts I have read. Although written as a guide for parents, this is a brilliant resource for clinicians working with children and families in any area. This book draws on a range of key theories around child development providing a very coherent description of how anxiety manifests in the growing child. In a field where there are many competing theoretical stances, this book rises above the debate. Written with genuine humour and compassion, this book offers practical and user-friendly advice. Most importantly it removes the pathology and blame that is sometimes associated with childhood difficulties.
I am trained in CBT and systemic therapies, but I believe this approach would appeal to clinicians from any training background.
on 26 May 2014
Why use one word, when you can you 55? Very wordy and only for people who really want to wade through this stuff. My daugher is so anxious, but this book would have helped if it could get to the point sooner.
on 21 August 2013
This book gives you practical ideas and is easy to read. It gives you helpful strategies. I found it really useful
Good service, would use again
on 20 May 2014
The book is 225 pages. I'm on page 105, pushing myself to continue and I am so frustrated that I actually took the time to stop reading, connect to internet, connect to amazon just to express my frustration. SInce page 5 the author promises that he will give us parents tools to understand and address our children anxiousness by showing acceptance and mindfulness. There is a very vague discussion of what acceptance is (not how you actually exercise it) on page 98 and still no discussion about mindfulness. I have lost hope that the book will give me any tools and only keep reading because I really need some propositions about what to do as a parent. I really doubt I will get them. I am tired of the same vague, non scientific, non specific and repeating intentions of the author "I will explain", "I will help", "I will give you tools". It seems really true to me, at this point, that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
on 6 August 2015
Prompt delivery. A very useful book.