on 19 February 2018
I found this book quite slow to start and having read other books by Tom Bale, I found it totally different but at the same time intriguing and, once it got going, very exciting.

There is plenty going on with lots of different characters and stories to tell which all eventually meet up and join together neatly to give the reader the whole picture. The ending is fast and furious with an almost nail biting section which had the effect of making me read faster and faster! Eventually though I am pleased to say it reaches a happy conclusion and the ending is both satisfying and totally worth the read.

Having read the note by the author at the end explaining how the book nearly never got published and his career almost didn’t get off the ground, I am so pleased that a publisher took a chance on Mr Harrison (aka Tom Bale) as he is an extremely good author.
on 6 May 2018
Keep with this book - I found the first quarter a bit all over the place, introducing too much too quickly, but I always commit to finishing once I’ve started and in this case was glad I did. I was heading for s one or two star rating but the latter half of the storyline was fantastic, fast paced and building momentum with each page. Based on this I am keen to read more by this author and did agonise over 3 or 4 star maybe a three and a half.
on 28 June 2013
I enjoyed this book very much. Although the first couple of chapters started out slowly, setting out the foundation of the story, the pace soon increased and didn't let up. The characterisation was good, although I wasn't convinced by Nick beginning a new relationship so soon after the murder of his wife. I was taken by surprise by the revelation of who one of the central characters really was. I probably should have seen it for myself but somehow I missed it. I don't think that is a weakness in the writing, I suspect that either I was being blind or we were not supposed to realise it until the author was ready to reveal it.
It could be said that normally the police would not involve the public in their operations but in this case the public, in the form of Nick, was one step ahead of the police and coming up with the answers to the puzzles before they did.

All in all this is a really good read.
One person found this helpful
on 26 June 2013
The premise of this book isn't unlike many others. There's a central good character who is a little flawed around the edges and there's a baddie who, in this instance has no redeeming features. There are also of course other characters and one of this book's strong points is the depth of those supporting characters.

Whilst the storyline in it's most basic form is nothing new, the meat that's put on the bones is I suspect unique. No ex-policeman chasing his nemeses here. However, to get the picture I, for one won't elaborate and you'll have to read to find out. You'll be pleased to learn that this is no onerous task though. The story barrels along at just the right pace, with an ending that keeps you guessing and after that, dare I say, wanting more.

At the price, indeed at many times the price, this is top entertainment.
One person found this helpful
on 21 November 2014
Well plotted enjoyable thriller based on - yes- how the wrong doing of one generation comes back to harm the next. There are a range of characters from the nice ordinary family to old school aging criminals. How they all interact provides lots of twists to keep the pages turning. Based in my home town, I was highly tuned to spot mistakes, but all the places were accurately described. No silly mistakes there!

I wasn't completely convinced by Alex, the super villian with a grudge, but it was refreshing to have a female 'baddy' and a highly competent one at that. All in all worth five stars.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 May 2014
I really liked this book and, despite a couple of moans, I've given it a 5 star on the basis that I'd probably read it again in a few years (It was possibly a 4.5 but, as a first book, I gave it the extra half). And a re-read is a sign of a book that I've enjoyed.

The moan. The first couple of chapters I found a little confusing. I know authors like to launch into a scenario and not tell you who the characters are or where they fit in - but this one left me a bit confused. In the end I was glad that I carried on....but the author almost lost me there. But, otherwise, kept me engaged and I didn't guess the culprit until very nearly the reveal.
on 12 June 2013
Excellent first novel - very readable; the words just flow off the page. Lots of action and well paced. My only criticism would be that some of the characters are a shade one dimensional, but this doesn't unduly detract from the book.

Coming Home
10 people found this helpful
on 24 June 2013
I can't say that I really enjoyed this book although I would normally love this type of read. I could not connect with the characters at all. In fact only one person in the book Caitlin, seemed to have a description and any kind of depth of character. But unbelievably she hooked up with the main character when he was supposed to be in mourning which seems so unlikely. I just found the book to be wishy washy and probably under average. However, I gave this review 3 stars because it wasn't badly written and I did not give up on it as did want to know the outcome even if a bit anti climatic!
on 15 July 2014
It was a wee bit slow to begin but once the plot was revealed it became a real page turner.

The only minor criticism would be that the ending predictably would be a happy one lol. Getting there was anything but predictable though.

Well written and believable characters, and plenty twists along the way. Some minor sex descriptions and a fairly sweat inducing torture scene, especially for male readers!!!!
on 23 June 2013
This is the first time I have read the authors notes and saw that it took him 25 years to get a book published. Amazong, this is a really good read. I enjoyed tne twists and turns of the plot. Reading his notes I can see where this all came from. A page turner, I am off to google his next book Skin and Bones written under the pseudonym name of Tom Bale
4 people found this helpful