on 2 June 2012
This was the first book I had read by this author and I totally loved it! It's the first who-dunnit I have ever read that wasn't from the point of a detective. It really made you feel for the characters, dealing with the grief of tragedy hitting so close to home, wanting answers, whilst trying to get on with everyday life. She builds an intricate, totally believable story that kept me guessing right until the end. I couldn't read the last few chapters fast enough. Have just bought all her other titles- lets' hope it's not a one off!!
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 January 2014
To be fair the story did hold my interest, if only because there were so many strands running through it that I wanted to find out how they all fitted together in the end. Unfortunately I never did find out because so many of them were left unanswered or were basically roads to nowhere. I have read a couple of Katia Lief's books before and enjoyed them but Seven Minutes to Noon was just too contrived to be believable. Never in a million years would the police share as much information with a member of the public as Alice was given in this story, would they really wire up a woman who was 6 months pregnant and send her to have a conversation with a suspect, I think not, and whatever the story was behind the first 'victim', the cushions with random initials, chauffeur with odd eyes and the artist on the bridge we will never know.
The eventual ending (if it can be called that) was bizarre in the extreme and completely unsatisfying in terms of bringing any closure to the story. Sorry Ms Lief but this is definitely not one of your better offerings.
One person found this helpful
on 14 January 2013
Being a Mother I found this book very emotional as I do with any story involving children...the Author describes the characters so well and you feel that you are living through the heartbreak and are alongside them as they drag themselves along and keep going and get through each day...personally I loved it and read it very quickly. I related to the strong bond between various friends so acurately described in the book and found the plot really good. At times I was so lost in the book I really felt that I was in New-York....if was a good price too.....well worth it.
on 14 March 2013
I chose this because it mentions Brooklyn and I am about to go there so thought it would make a good background. I think it did. Suburban living is quite well portrayed. Parks and streets. However the constant panic and hysteria frustrated me. It made a good story but with a lot of editing could have been half the length and perhaps more satisfying.
One person found this helpful
on 8 December 2016
I found this book quite gripping at the beginning & it really kept my interest.
A good read, but I felt it ended very quickly, leaving me with questions.
Still a good mystery book.
on 15 May 2013
This was an easy enough read, but not the most gripping thriller I've ever read. I have to say the main character got on my nerves a little, which always puts me off and the outcome of the who dunnit left me a bit flat too. Having said that, anyone who reads a lot will think this is an ok book to pass the time, and is cheap, so can't complaing too much.
on 3 March 2014
First book I have read by this author, lots of twists, gets you thinking, trying to solve it. Couldn't put it down. The only let down was the ending, to much of a coincidence......in the back of beyond....really?
on 11 April 2014
A clever plot & interesting characters make for a gripping read. Only weakness is the Epilogue which involves a massive coincidence making it totally unbelievable.
Better omitted.
on 27 December 2012
Katia Lief pulls it off every time. Something fresh and compelling again. Just the kind of book I really love because I cant put it down, but at the same time I dont want to finish it. Just as well she has a few more.
on 3 February 2015
Five stars!! I really enjoyed this book. believable characters and a good story. I will be watching
out for more Katie Lief novels.