on 13 November 2016
A well written, utterly compelling murder mystery. DI Dylan is a thoroughly likeable character, leading a very pleasant team. The authors personal experience in the police gives him the edge on police procedures. A most worthwhile read.
on 27 July 2016
A decent first book. Some issues that were to be expected, but a good story and clear potential for further development. Well worth a read.
on 12 June 2017
Within the first few pages i was hooked. A very easy read and believable characters, looking forward to reading the next one.
on 22 September 2017
I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to start the next one.
on 22 May 2016
Good storey and didn't want to put it down
on 4 May 2013
Very good read. Grips you from page one. Good insight to how our police work and the pressures involved.
100% recommended to readers of crime. Look forward to reading more Bridgestock.
on 7 October 2016
If I wanted an in depth account of police paperwork and task I would have bought a manual. This is incredibly distractingly detailed in the detail of police work as opposed to concentrating on story this just staggers between pointless detail and endless cups of coffee! You could play the each time he has a coffee you drink a whiskey game.. I promise you'll be drunk by chapter two!!
Absolutely dire. I'd recommend it to no one.
Deadly Focus is the first book in the D I Dylan series.

I love a good crime book and read plenty of them, so it always takes me by surprise when crimes in one book will affect me a lot more than in others. Reading of someone going around killing innocent and unsuspecting children really got to me. I have to admit that some parts made for uncomfortable reading as well as making me quite emotional.
What I loved about Jack Dylan as well as his colleague Dawn is that they care, and I mean really care. Even though they have been doing the job for quite a while, it has hardened them of course but not enough to not get emotional when they are faced with such sad and pointless losses. The way they deal with the children's families I also thought was great as they came across as being very supportive and caring and it was great to read that in a crime novel.
Jack I have to admit to not knowing quite how I felt about him at first. Out of work he is like a love sick teenager whilst at work he is this very strong confident man who takes no rubbish from anyone. It did take some getting used to but I really warmed to him, especially the relationship he has with his colleague Dawn.

Dawn I really loved and think she is a great character. She is likened to Dawn French in the story and I totally agree.She obviously has a big heart and you can see the job is taking it's toll on her at times. I love the banter she has with Jack, anyone else probably wouldn't get away with it but Jack obviously thinks a lot of Dawn and lets her get away with that little bit more than any of the others, though I very much doubt that anyone else would even dare to joke around with him as he is someone you would not want to upset.

Deadly Focus has some strong and likeable characters as well as a gripping storyline that will have the reader flying through the pages. Great start to a series.

Many thanks to the authors for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on 29 August 2014
I bought this as it sounded like my type of book and,to be honest, it was cheap.
Good solid storylines and plenty of interesting characters. Whilst hardly ground-breaking it was still a good read and a promising start to what I believe to be a series, in fact, I have already bought the next two books.
on 19 January 2014
Seriously one of the worst book I have read. Quite apart from the illogical and irregularly applied attempts at local vernacular, the plot is thin (and predictable very early on). The main character is self-satisfied. There is no depth in the characters at all.I read it through to the bitter and, hoping I would be wrong and pleasantly surprised by a twist in the tale - some sort of redeeming feature. There was none. Just a badly written story. I assume the writers paid to have the books printed. What a pity they didn't just use a blog.