on 17 December 2014
Great antivirus. ALways works well in the background. No trouble to install. Use it every year!
on 27 April 2017
useless
on 15 April 2014
Excellent.
I always use Kaspersky and find it meets all my needs and more it is easy to use and never fails keeping my computer safe from virus
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Now that Kasperky Anti-virus 2013 is out, often this old 2012 version is far cheaper - and it will update to the latest 2013 version on installation. Computer Shopper recently rated Kasperky Internet Security 2013 the best they had tested for malware protection. This Kapersky Anti-virus 2012 offers a 3-licence protection for 3 PCs (all three licences count down the 365 days after the first install activation). Unlike 'Kaperksy Internet Security 2012', this 'Kapersky Antivirus 2012' lacks a firewall and parental controls, and relies on Windows less effective inbuilt firewall. It installed on our Windows 7 64-bit PC and laptops OK, and quickly updated itself to the lastest version. It also installed a pretty Kapersky widget on the desktop.

The front end of Kaspersky has a classy feel and it doesn't seem to have much of a hit on PC speed when gaming, which my teenage son and I do a lot - although I haven't noticed it to be much different to Norton 360 in that respect (which my son still uses on his main gaming desktop PC). PCPro have 'A listed' Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 or the freebie Avast Free Anti-virus in preference to Kasperky, but Kaspersky's Antivirus also scored very highly for malware and virus protection. All three of our Kasperky Anti-virus 2012 installs are running smoothly 3 months on, so we rate it 4* for value. As usual it's far far cheaper buying this anti-virus via Amazon than direct from Kaperksy, so order an a new install licence well before the 365 days are up (you just have type the new install code into your account to renew the licence when it expires).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Kaspersky have been producing some darn good software for some time now, so hopefully their reputation precedes them (and I don't need to give them much more of an introduction). I've used other software packages by the Norton, Vipre, ESET, F-Secure, Trend Micro, and quite a few others over the years, so I think i can say this package is definitely up there with the best of them.
PCs are still as inexpensive and popular as ever, so it's no surprise that the number viruses out there continues to increase, too. so it's reassuring to know a good package like this is available (without breaking the bank). It's also good that it covers up to 3 machines, given that most households tend to have more than single PC.
The software installs easily, and pretty quickly, without a stupid Q&A that some packages throw at you, and since then it's sat in the background without any hassle.
I used to find the previous version could slow my machine down, but they have improved with each release (and this could also have something to with my specification improving), but I literally want to be able to know my PC is secure while I get online, (and offline of course), and that's exactly what this does.
If you need some protection, get this.
(I'm running Windows 7 on an Advent laptop Intel Celeron Dual Core T3100).
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Preface this by saying I have used Kaspersky products for the last 3 years and found them effective, intercepting viruses without any harm to our systems.

This is the latest iteration of the basic anti- virus package and,on our 3 year old W7 core duo machines, it loaded and updated without any issues. Needed to manually remove existing anti- virus using Windows 'remove software' but that is easily done.

A new interface changing scanning options but otherwise the package simply just gets on with watching for any viruses brought onto your system by e-mail or hardware links such as memory sticks. Updates automatically every time you go online so you need never worry about the virus list being out of date.

So as a standalone, basic anti- virus package, it ticks all the boxes.

One big caveat though...for around the same cost or little extra ( best to check at time of selection), you could have the all encompassing Kaspersky Internet Security which, in addition to the same anti-virus protection as this product, offers much more comprehensive protection against other threats such as phishing etc. Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 3 PC, 1 Year License (PC).

Personally, I would recommend the basic anti virus only if you need to check files etc on a system isolated from online connections. For normal domestic use, I would strongly recommend the aforesaid Kaspersky Internet Security. We adopted the latter and bought it for a total of 5 machines considering it money well spent.

So 4/5 for Anti-Virus, losing a star only because Internet Security offers more comprehensive overall Internet protection and is equally cost effective.
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Reviewing anti-virus products is difficult in todays climate. There is an abundance of them and they are all getting better. As another reviewer highlights, all anti-virus products impact on performance but the key is how much does it impact on day-to-day tasks and how much does an anti-virus product constantly witter on about what it's doing.

I've been running Kaspersky on a laptop for several months now. It installed without a hitch, didn't impact heavily on resources and, most importantly, doesn't constantly ask you daft questions, you get the odd pop-up but nothing major. To test these things properly you should throw viruses and spyware at it but I'm not going to risk my laptop for that, however, it has blocked several dodgy looking things and not allowed an infection in.

All updates have happened automatically and I haven't noticed a massive speed decrease while scanning unlike products such as AVG.

Nothing stands out so giving it 4 stars.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must admit that when using anti-virus software I have three basic requirements: 1) There are no annoying pop-ups. 2) The software does not slow the performance of the computer significantly. 3 most importantly) It protects my computer from viruses.

So I guess I shall briefly comment on how Kapersky performs on each of these counts:

1) There are no annoying pop-ups. I shall add a caveat of 'yet' to that sentence as I realise that the annoying pop-ups tend to occur towards the end of the expiry period of the license and I haven't reached the end of that year yet.

2) The computer's performance does not appear to have been noticeably slowed, although when the product is performing a scan there is a slight overall reduction in performance. In addition there was a brief period during which my computer did slow down, but it has now returned to normal and I cannot be sure as to the cause of this problem.

3) My computer has caught no viruses whilst using the product.

Therefore on all of these counts the software has performed well and met my expectations of an anti-virus software. I therefore cannot award the product any lower than five stars.
on 7 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First of all anti-virus software always slows your computer down. I don't know why people write reviews commenting out that. What is important is how much does this software slow you computer down in comparison to Norton or Symantec or whatever you are using.

I have found this program superior in all respects of performance; it does not slow you computer down as much as other anti-virus software and, in my opinion, the updates are faster and the protection better than Norton with out a bunch of stuff you don't necessarily need or want.

Pros:
- Lets my system run more smoothly (in comparison to Norton)
- Less intrusive. It just works without telling me everything it does!
- Easy to install and configure (on Windows 7)
- Good level of protection (always hard to gauge but I haven't had any problems, at all)
on 15 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Great value and efficient for the increasing multi PC owning home. This is my second time of having a Kaspersky security package and as before we've found it to be highly effective and only slightly intrusive, meaning that unless you have a state of the art computer you are always going to notice your processor slowing down when the anti virus scan is operational. The real time protection is good too, so far it seems to have blocked every malware thrown at it

See one answered question