on 17 October 2012
I needed to connect 2 digital optical sources to my samsung blu ray home cinema system.
After a lot of consideration I decided to give the Inline toslink a try.
It arrived within a week, but I was a bit shocked by the size of the box. It didn't help that Amazon packed it in another box twice the size.
In any case, I managed to put it on top of my sky+ box in a lying position. It wasn't easy to remove the foot and there are no instructions how to do it. Basicaly, you need to push (or pull) the foot toward one of the ends and then the plastic locks open.
It has 4 inputs and 2 outputs as described. However, what was of a bit concern to me, the output sockets don't have the characteristic shape of optical digital socket with cut off 2 corners, they are just square and I had a feeling that the cabel wouldn't sit in tightly enough. But it works and it didn't fall out!
The remote is tiny, about half centimeter thick (less than a kindle) and again, there is no instruction. The 4 buttons represent 4 inputs and you can check which represents which.
The annoying thing is that for all this money they didn't bother to include a UK plug.
See my pictures above for more details.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 5 July 2012
Okay, so it might look a little expensive for what it is and truth be told - it is? £40-50 for the sake of not having to change a optical cable every 5 minutes. Worth it? YES.

I, like another reviewer here originally purchased the cheap £5 rip-off tacky-plastic passive switch. Needless to say I experienced similar problems, the sound crackles and occasionally cut out. As for my blu-ray I heard NOTHING. Same for PC (Worked with a crackle with a smaller optical cable, but not with a larger one).

So I got a refund due to the product not doing what it described..

Then... I saw this one ;). After some debating I decided to bite the bullet as it seemed to have fairly good reviews, and I have to say I am very impressed in comparison to the last one I had.

- Sound is Faultless, No crackling
- No Cutting out
- Works on all of my devices, regardless of whether I use a 1 Metre or 20M Optical cable flawlessly
- Looks cool and is a nice comfortable size.

The short of it is, don't hesitate to purchase this because of your experience with a cheap plastic one. It'll do exactly what it says on the box and it won't disappoint. Just make sure you purchase a universal plug adapter to account for the german plug ;)
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 July 2012
Performs exactly as advertised, though I'm only switching two sources (Panasonic Blu-Ray and Sky HD+) into one output at present. No sign of signal integrity problems at all. My Logitech universal remote accepted the switch remote codes with a bit of persuasion, so the switch is now nicely integrated with everything else. I have the unit sandwiched vertically between two larger boxes, and all seems to work fine. The LEDs on the front do need toning down a bit for a darkened room.
Annoyingly, the price seems to have dropped by £10 in the last week - some you win, some you lose I guess - perhaps a sign of the success of this item - even better value at the new price, obviously. As noted elsewhere, this comes with a power adaptor designed to plug straight into a continental wall socket, so you'll want an adaptor. I ended up using a UK power adaptor of the right voltage/current from my collection (which everyone seems to have these days), though I guess this strictly invalidates the warranty.
Excellent service (< 4 days), considering it came all the way (!) from Germany and postage was free
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2013
I really struggled to justify the £50 cost of this optical switcher.

However, I had tried several of the "three-way plastic manual circular optical switchers" and found that after some period of usage they started to fail.

I then found a small two-way electronic switcher by Gefen. This still had to be switched manually, but was much more reliable. However, as I have three optical-output devices devices, I was still one input short and having to connect and disconnect the tos-leads was wearing out their connectors, making firm connections less able to obtain.

This device ticks all boxes. It has four inputs (one more than I presently need) and two outputs (also one more than I presently need). The audio connerction is reliable and clear, with no break-ups. The resultant overall audio quality is first-rate.

Additionallly, because the device has infra-red control, I have been able to program my Logitech controller so that when I switch to DAB radio, TV or Squeezebox, the Inline device selects the correct tos connection for that particular input.

So yes, five stars. Expensive, but worth it. I just hope it proves reliable in the longer term.

BTW: I use a Logitech Harmony One to control my media devices. I also highly recommend this controller to anyone who, like me, has a regular "zoo" of different pieces of hi-fi kit and wants to co-ordinate/manage them through a single infra-red controller.
on 3 February 2014
Only just received this but it does everything it says it will and well. About the size of a HDD but it stands vertically or horizontally and is quite light. The only issue is the way Amazon show a converter plug (2 pin Euro into a 3 pin UK). The adaptor is directly part of the 2 pin plug so it will not fit into one of those converter plugs. I have several and it just doesn't fit. So you need a two pin socket with a 3 pin plug (one unit), like a shaver plug but make sure it is fused. Try one of these "Ex-Pro Euro European Clamping fast on fast off - Converter Plug with power connections Black / 3amp - easily convert European 2pin mains lead circular type connections to UK standard plug." Not tried myself yet but just ordered one from a marketplace seller on Amazon.

Not an issue to deduct a star for me because this is an excellent solution and cheaper than the Lindy alternative.
on 8 September 2015
This is a good TosLink Digital Fibre Optical Switching Device. It has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. The only quibble I have with it - it does not power on automatically. I have remote control power sockets so when I power on for the TV and 5.1 surround sound system I have to power on this device also. It has a fully functioning remote control. It is just a pain having to power it on every time. I brought this other TosLink Digital Fibre Optical Switching Device. This one is not remote control but has one button to change inputs. It has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. It powers on automatically and is of good quality made in Germany: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GJLY83O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
on 28 September 2015
Coming from one of those temperamental plastic mechanical rotary switches that need to be precisely aligned with the wind blowing in the right direction, this electronic remote switcher is a breath of fresh air. No more scrabbling behind the telly, painstakingly trying to avoid moving the box for fear of knocking something ever so slightly out of alignment.

Control buttons on the front are a welcome addition, and all the connections are round the back out of the way, unlike some other alternatives which I considered.

Yes it does come with a European PSU but an adaptor can be had for a pound or two so for me this isn't an issue.
on 19 April 2012
An excellent piece of kit. Well made; tactile buttons on the unit itself; convenient remote control (supplied with battery) can be used instead; no signal degradation; instant start-up and switching.

Mine came via Amazon Marketplace from ALB Computer in Germany but a high quality UK plug adaptor was included by the seller; top marks.

(Added to my review 4 and a half years later) - Remains exactly as I reviewed above. A superb piece of kit. The purpose of this additional element to the review is to give the model number (which so far at least has never been included in Amazon's description). The brand is Inline and their model number is 89906. I needed this when programming a Logitech Harmony 650 all-in-one remote control to include the Inline switch as part of the activity macros; to my amazement it was a recognised device and I didn't need to manually program the Harmony with individual button-presses from the Inline remote control.
on 2 October 2014
Solves the problem of to many optical cables. I bought this as I have a wireless gaming headset that requires an optical input. Having several games consoles that require optical this was the best solution. As I'd rather not handle fragile optical cables this solves that, otherwise I'd have to physically change cables at the back of my headphone cradle. Also the remote let's me be the 'lazy gamer' that I am and not get up to press a button to change inputs. Also it has two outputs if you want to connect two output devices at once, like a soundbar and headphones.
on 25 December 2012
I'd been looking for an optical switcher to integrate into my set-up. Put off by bad reviews on the cheaper manual switchers, I opted for this product. It has everything I want: the ability to switch between both my optical inputs, and it can be operated via IR remote control.
As a bonus, I'm able to use my Logitech Harmony 600 remote with this product, using the model number 89906. My only niggle is that the lights on the front are a bit too bright, but I'm going to try putting a dark lens over them.
The switching is precise and doesn't crackle or lose sound. Buy it if you can afford it. As in other reviews, remember the EU adapter.