Customer reviews

on 30 May 2016
Good book
on 30 June 2011
Chop Suey begins with one of my favourite opening sentences in recent years. It is clear from the offset that Mr. Hutchinson is a gifted novelist; the novel grabs the reader from the setting of this opening gambit and holds our attention at a relentless pace. I read a previous reviewer, who complained about their being excessive description in this book but I found myself unable to put down my e-reader - I finished the book in one sitting (and lost a night's sleep).

Darby Stanfield is a morally complex character who certainly endeared himself to this particular reader - I look forward to reading more books involving this particular character. I was particularly impressed by the author's ability to vividly portray L.A.'s Chinatown and Hong Kong, giving the book a cinematic feel.

The core of the plot involves uncertainty and pulling out all the stops to save one's career - two issues that are particularly relevant during this economic era. Yet the author skilfully interweaves these concepts into this book's hypnotic plot without ever giving the impression that he is preaching to his audience.

This is an immensely enjoyable read that is well worth purchasing.
on 12 July 2011
I received this book as a member giveaway from Librarything.com and, I have to say, I was really impressed. It is a complex thriller set in San Francisco and Hong Kong and follows the exploits of IT salesman, Darby Stansfield, as he attempts to sell IT services to a Triad gang. Interwoven with this, a serial killer is on the loose and Darby is in his way.

Darby Stansfield is a likeable buffoon who overestimates his own abilities, is startingly naive, and gets himself into all sorts of pickles. Luckily he has his level-headed best friend, Tav, and police chief girlfriend, Leslie, to help him out. The reader can't help but like his bull-in-a-china-shop approach to life and that he sees the good in everyone from gang leaders to serial killers.

The style of writing is good. It is humorous and entertaining and full of twists and turns. I like that the author switches between 1st and 3rd person narrative. This means that the reader knows things that Darby doesn't and has us shouting 'noooo' at him as he bungles into more danger.

My one criticism of the book is the standard of proofreading. Running a spellcheck is not enough - there were countless sentences with words missing or duplicated or just using wrong words. A really good proofread and some editing adjustments would make this book great and then I would definitely give it 4 stars.

This is an impressive debut and I hope the author goes on to great success with Darby Stansfield.
This is the story of Darby Stansfield - a man on commission at a telecom company. He hasn't been bringing in much custom lately so he is given six months to shape up or ship out. He hits on the perfect idea for bringing in those big sales, sell to organised crime gangs, namely the Triads. It all goes well until he meets and falls in love with an Inspector in the Hong Kong police who is investigating the Triad gangs, falls foul of a serial killer and winds up in the middle of a gang war.

This was fantastic! I cannot sing its praises loud enough. How on earth Ty managed to pull off humour, Triads and a serial killer all in the same story I have no idea, but it worked. Darby is the loveable hero bumbling from one disaster to the next but somehow surviving by the skin of his teeth each time. He drags his best friend Tav into his schemes and somewhat reluctantly Tav goes along with them - despite knowing how it will usually pan out! The story was told from two different view points, first person and third person but never once was I confused. It felt rather like I was watching events unfold that Darby wasn't aware of and more than once I wanted to slap him! The story itself belted along and had me from page one and didn't put me down until the climactic ending.

A great funny, laugh out loud thriller with a serious side. Read it, you won't regret it. I am looking forward to more of the authors work now.
on 19 June 2014
I started reading this story thinking it might be a bit of a "noir" genre. But it turned out to just be a jolly good slightly humorous thriller.
The plot gets a bit complex as Darby goes back and fore between US and China and gets mixed up in all sorts of trouble.
A good read indeed.
on 13 December 2014
Oh dear, I can't really believe it but I did not get to grips with this one at all - I found I lost interest very quickly and to be honest - and I really do apologise to Ty Hutchinson - this is laboured and I got bored. Sorry. My fault, probably, not the author.
on 2 November 2014
The main character at first appears to be a bit crazy but as the reader gets into the book you realise the storyline is quite plausible. A very clever plot mixing comedy with drama and suspense. Once I got into the book I couldn't put it down.
on 26 September 2014
Found it difficult to put the book down.
on 6 October 2014
This is a great read, a little far fetched in places but it's a great book and you wont put it down once you get into it, I loved it, dont miss out.
on 3 October 2014
It was a quirky book going between USA and HK, full of twists in the plot. An enjoyable read and I would read others in the sequence.