Customer reviews

Speedlink SL-8691-SBK-01 Spes Clip-On Microphone - Black
Style: Clip Microphone|Change

on 20 March 2017
These are really, really good, but really, really fragile unfortunately, it seems even getting the end of a hover near the wire at any point kills it too strangely, I have had a few, a couple of replacements they sent and I brought a couple as I broke one of two myself, but I have since moved on as I can't justify buying these over and over, hopefully they'll do one with a more resilient cable and I'll be back. :)
on 13 June 2017
I've posted this review on another of Speedlink's microphones because it's the exact same microphone with a different page for some reason;

I've made the mistake of buying a lot of these cheap microphones and if the quality isn't terrible to begin with, it miraculously turns bad within a couple of weeks.

Save yourself the trouble of buying 10 of these things because they last about a week at a time and invest in a better microphone. For as little as £30 you can get yourself a half decent one that will last you a long time. I'm using the samson go mic since 2015 and that's a great mic for a small price.

Samson SAGOMIC Go Mic Clip On USB Microphone - White
on 11 June 2016
I had a good impression by all the other reviewers but it's not like what it seems.The whole thing is mainly made from plastic as I can imagine. I plugged the mic into my PC and I was barely able to hear myself.

So what was my first instinct? Boost up the sound and performance from the sound settings and all I can hear was this REALLY annoying hissing sound like someone was trying to whisper through my ear. The cable was ridiculously long but that wasn't a problem and also the sound quality of the mic was not very good despite holding it very close to my mouth, DON'T BOTHER with this microphone.

I am no expert in microphones but I don't know how other people are finding this good?? I might have received a defected product (although there no signs that it is) but I am still unhappy about it. I will never buy this again! I would advise you to buy lavalier microphones OTHER than this one.
on 10 July 2016
For the price it's a reasonable quality mic and as it's also my first lavalier mic I can't really compare it to another, be that a more expensive one or similarly priced. I've used it a couple of times already and have been quite impressed with it for the price I paid [£7.27 + PP] The build quality to me seems pretty good, the microphone and clip are both metal, I'm not sure but I thought I had read earlier reviews criticising the microphone build, in that it's parts were plastic and broke easily? maybe the manufacturer listened and changed the build materials? Anyway i find it very sturdy.

The only problem I found when using it with my Zoom Q4 camera is when plugged into the camera's external input, there is a very high pitched hum
noise which also is noticeable on any recording made!

The Zoom Q4 has 3 gain settings [low, medium, high] which work for either it's own external X/Y mics or for an item plugged into it's external source [mic] input, only when the low setting is selected - you don't hear the noise, which probably isn't really surprising as it's playback volume is also very low, so pretty much everything is filtered out!

However I found that plugging my headphones into the Zoom Q4 while using the microphone seemed to more or less solve this issue, maybe it's a grounding issue or it could be an issue with the camera.. anyway being positive - for under a tenner, this mic is well worth it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 January 2016
This is the Mic that i use on my YT channel to create my Intros, you may check an example video here https://youtu.be/nSUoQUwSUhE

Overall a great sound for the price.
review image
on 27 December 2015
I bought this microphone for my pc as a filler until i got a much better one.
Fast forward 2 years and i was still using this little gem.
Sadly recently it did eventually die but this little thing got dropped more times than i could count and it still worked on through.

The clip is metal which means it wont snap easy like some clip on mics and the wire is really long so you wont keep pulling it off when you go to move around.

The sound quality for the price is something to behold but i would recommend using this in a quiet room as it can pick up lots of background noise.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 July 2017
Bought this for a electronics project I was working on and therefore just picked it because it was cheap and not really expecting much in the way of quality but I have to say this little mic has really impressed me.

Built quality seems good and robust so it should last a while. It does a great job at picking up sounds and speech and all is clear and good quality.

Not really much else I can say about a microphone I am afraid.

For the money this is a really a superb microphone that I would be happy to recommend or buy again if I needed to.
on 1 November 2013
This mic gives excellent sound reproduction with a low noise floor. If it came with a stand, it would be useful for use with a PC. As a lavalier mic it's hopeless.

When I eventually got it out of the packaging, it was in two pieces: 1) the metal clip, and 2) the mic and plastic mount. I suspect that the plastic mount should be permanently attached to the metal clip. The plastic mount has a small screw going through it that is obviously supposed to screw into the metal clip. Using a tiny phillips-head screwdriver, I tried to screw the mount into the metal clip but the screw kept turning - a stripped thread, perhaps, on a new item? Extremely shoddy.

It is completely useless as a lavalier mic unless I try to attach the mic to my shirt or jacket by clipping the wire onto the collar. In any case, the spring in the clip is so weak that it wouldn't even stay attached. One inadvertent tug on the clip and I'd probably lose it. If I had a soldering iron, steady hands, and didn't have arthritis, I'd attempt to solder the mic onto the clip as a permanent solution.

The packaging is one of those stiff sealed-plastic cases that require strong hands and a large pair of scissors to remove. The kind that, once it's open, you realise that you're probably not going to be able to return the goods for refund as the packaging is damaged. Still, at the low(?) price of £6.32, it probably isn't worth the bother.

I'm writing off the £6.32 as a bad mistake and a learning experience. It seems pointless to hope that you might get one of the good ones. There probably are no good ones.

SUMMARY: If you're looking for a good lavalier microphone, this isn't it. Look elsewhere.
on 4 June 2017
It improves sound quality in interviews dramatically particularly in noisy environments. It doesn't feel very solid but so far, after around twenty hours worth of interviews it's all fine. One important advantage is the length of the lead, which at 2m gives you a lot of options with sitting arrangements. It's also good for dictation, speech-to-text and videoconferencing.
on 23 August 2015
I first time bought this to make some videos. I was little sceptical at the beginning regarding the quality of this product, but found it an excellence item which transforms the audio without compromising the quality. It comes with the reasonable wire length which is very handy when making your videos, you can sit comfortably at decent distance from your device while attaching it to it. Produces reasonable sound quality and has strong collar clip which provides robust grip. It definitely worth it.