on 16 August 2014
I enjoyed the content of, this book, which I read on the back of "Gatsby" & "Day of the Locust", as it explores much the same territory, namely the Hollywood Myth / American dream turned nightmare.

I also enjoyed the writing, which is sharp & cynical & very amusing...but - I found it a struggle due to the vast number of typos - including a ple-thora of comp-letely gra-tuitous hyp-hens in utte-rly meani-g-less pla-ces... well, you get the idea...

It's testament to how good the content is that I was prepared to persevere through the minefield of irritating errors & eye-wateringly intrusive hyphens to the end. That's why I've given it only 3 rather than 4 stars.
on 4 November 2011
"The View from Babylon" is a collection of essays concerning Los Angeles (with one very interesting diversion to Las Vegas). Rawley was evidently quite well-known in Hollywood, and many of the essays include close-up dealings with agents, stars, directors and other writers.

Rawley examines the price of fame, the strangeness and the coldness of Los Angeles, and the disturbed underbellly of twisted America.
on 30 June 2013
an excellent read with different insights into an always fascinating subject I will look at Mr Rawleys books with interestr
on 1 September 2013
Once you get us-ed to the idiosycratic writ-ing style, this is an excellent read. I would definitely recommend you read!
on 9 December 2014