Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 May 2011
If there was a problem with "The Red Pyramid," it's that too much of the action took place in dreams and visions. Fortunately Rick Riordan scales back on that in "The Kane Chronicles, Book Two: The Throne of Fire," a tighter, more action-packed adventure tale filled with cinematic monsters, mythological battles and an impending apocalypse. Fun stuff!

Things seem to be going fairly smoothly for the Kane siblings, despite a disastrous mission to capture one-third of the Book of Ra. Unfortunately, Carter and Sadie soon learn that not only has the House of Life sent its third-most-powerful magician (known as "Vlad the Inhaler") to destroy them, but that the god Apophis has almost escaped from his prison.

Unfortunately, the only god who can possibly stop Apophis is Ra, and the only way to summon Ra from his eternal sleep is to use the Book. Soon the Kanes are on a perilous quest across the world, running up against evil gods (and an endearing taxi-driving one), demons and treacherous magicians. But the price of victory may be a steep one...

"The Throne of Fire" is a somewhat steadier adventure than "The Red Pyramid." It's still not quite as instantly engaging as Riordan's Grecian-inspired fantasies, but it's still action-packed, sleek and full of flashy action sequences. I mean, a basketball game is interrupted by a giant three-headed serpent -- does it get cooler than that?

Riordan's prose is solidly descriptive, and he does an excellent job melding ancient Egyptian myth with modern-day sensibilities. His dialogue is solidly snarky -- at one point, the dwarf god Bes announces that, "I'm not going to call myself the god of vertically challenged people." But there's a much darker dimension to this story -- some spectacularly horrible things happen to some characters that Riordan has made you like.

And don't worry: while visions-dreams reveal a lot of important information, they don't overwhelm the story.

I find it a little hard to warm up to Sadie and Carter, but Riordan does do a solid job of fleshing them out with their new responsibilities and problems (particularly since some of their mistakes get people hurt). And Riordan introduces some very likable new characters -- in fact, I liked some of them better than the main characters -- particularly Freak the griffin, Tawaret, Mad Claude and Bes (who eats a chocolate head of Lenin).

"The Throne of Fire" is a somewhat darker, steadier second volume in the Kane Chronicles -- lovable gods, lots of action, and plot threads left dangling for the third book.
on 6 April 2013
As I said with my previous review of the Chronicles I'm not the biggest fan of ricks work There can be some boring inconsistencies at times and some very lax plotlines Luckily though there are none of those in either of the Chronicles of Read up to now The story-while not as good as the first book-is still an enjoyable read, and very engrossing story. Standouts usually are the points where Sadie and Carter are bantering with each other while talking about the plot.
There were points where things felt slightly rushed Some underdeveloped characters that I certainly hope are going to be expanded upon in the next book But as this is a book primarily from the perspective of the brother and sister I can understand why some would be very underdeveloped.
All in all for the most part a good book I would have liked to see the main bad guy more I can understand why rick has placed evil deeds on the shoulders of people to show that they can be the primary source of evil in our world.
on 4 June 2011
I would seriously recommend this book. Its the best book I have read -and I have read a lot of books. The moment you start reading you are captured by the gripping story line. The best bit is when they awaken the Great God Ra and he turns out to be senile, instead of being big and powerful he was loopy and clumsy. You will enjoy this more if you have read the first book in this series (The Red Pyramid).

(From Mum - this was a pre order at a fantastic price- arrived on time, well packaged and in mint condition - great service and one happy little boy). Can we get Rick Riordan to up his out put please.
on 10 May 2011
We had pre-ordered 'The Throne of Fire' so that we would receive it on May 4th. My son was waiting on the postman every morning until it arrived and...kerching!
What a book..."awesome" in my sons words! He loved it. Following Red Pyramid he could not wait for the next installment . He has absolutely loved every page, so hurry up Rick.......we need more!!!!
on 11 June 2013
The throne of fire is definitely one of the best books I own! I couldn't put it down. I love Egyptology and history and yearn to study archaeology at university. Being an archaeologist has been one of my life long aspirations and this book pulled me deeper into my love of ancient Egypt. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in history, and even people who don't! It is an absolutely fantastic read with characters to love and plenty of fascinating facts to learn about the ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses.
on 24 April 2016
My Daughter has read most of Rick Riordan's books and reads them avidly. She has read all of the Percy Jackson books, and loves the Kane chronicles. She is only 9 but an advanced reader for her age, which I expect would be more for an 11 year old.
Rick's books have really helped cement her love of reading, which i know will help her tremendously in her studies as she gets older. Books that you can't put down like this one are the best kind of book in my opinion.
on 12 August 2016
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first. The beginning wasn't as good as I hoped, in fact, when I first started reading The Kane Chronicles I was slightly reluctant; Egyptian legend wasn't my favourite and I wasn't as good at it. But it was enjoyable and I liked it. The second one's ending was much more entertaining. So all in all it wasn't as good as the first but Rick Riordan still managed to do it again.
on 29 June 2016
It was very good with a dramatic ending, it is also quite educational with ancient times mixed into the modern world. It's a brilliant book but don't bother trying to pronounce some words because they're just impossible to say. That's not all he even has 3 other linked series' with completely different gods. I rate the other books with the same rating here.5 STARS!!! READ HIS BOOKS!!!
on 25 March 2012
Where I read the Percy Jackson books almost in a single sitting I find I'm happy to put the Kane Chronicles down and return to them later. It's not that I don't care about the characters (although I prefer the gods such as Bast, Bes and Anubis to the Kane children) or enjoy the story but it's not quite as gripping.
on 31 January 2013
Another Fantastic book from Rick Riordan, my boys loved the percy jackson books and I thought it might be hard for them switching from the Greek pantheon into the Egyptian but they have loved all the action and learning about the Egyptian Gods. They and I Can't wait to read the rest of The Kane Chronicles.