on 31 March 2013
I purchased this to replace another edition of Wilde's collected works produced by a rival e-publisher.

That version was not up to snuff due to the editing of the contents of the poetry section. The lines of the poems were broken up; words meandering, seemingly, across the page at random. This is a problem that is encountered with sickening regularity with e-versions of poetry. They are simply ported over in to e-format; the layout of the poetry being thrown out in the process and simply published in the mutilated format that the transition produces.

Some well known publishing houses are guilty of this slapdash work.

Delphi was not, until now, numbered amongst those guilty of this offence. I had purchased a number of their poetry collections in the past and had been well pleased with the solid production values of each of the collections that I had bought.

Imagine my horror therefore when I turned from the admittedly solid and well laid out prose section of this collection to look at the poetry at the tail end of the e-book.

The poems were in the exact same butchered state as those in the rival publication. The same errors were replicated in the same places; right down to the irritating lozenges with the insane question mark in the centre of them that pop up at the end of the lines like so many toadstools in a merde besplattered field.

This makes it impossible to read and enjoy the poems.

How could this have happened? I had thought Delphi to be above this sort of thing.

Are their production values falling off?

I have not as yet found anything to object to in the prose section. However working my way though that will be the work of many months.

I hope I will not be disappointed. Come on Delphi! You can do better than this.
33 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2015
The Delphi Series is excellent
on 5 May 2015
this is a nice book
on 13 October 2011
I bought this for two reasons.

Firstly I am studying English literature at A level, and thought Oscar Wilde would be perfect for my wider reading I need for the course. However, I wasn't fully aware of all his creations, so I thought the best bet would be to get the collection of all his works!

Secondly, I've heard much about him, and have had a recent wish to read his poems especially. And I have found by reading this, his work is beautiful, well written, and a pleasure to read.

And contrary to what others have posted in their reviews, I haven't had a problem with the size of the text. I feel it is a comfortable font size to read, and if any bigger, the book would probably had to have been split into 2 seperate books.

All round, a definately good purchase.
on 6 June 2011
I got this book for my birthday because I'm a huge Oscar Wilde fan. It contains every single one of his works, including letters and poems, so it's an amazing buy and definitely worth it (the price is great too!!).
The only downfall is the font; it's too small! I find this one of the main trade-off's in Collins Classics. The price is great but the font is definitely too small and hard to read. I wish they would make it bigger because it becomes unbearable at times.
on 6 March 2009
Wilde's work is fantastic - witty and hilarious but he also had an amazing way of getting to the truth of things, especially when in the context of human behaviour. I'm afraid I feel the need to respond to Fredi's review stating that the price is an insult to Wilde's genious... Firstly, he is dead, so he won't be missing out and I'm pretty sure his works sell well enough that his family don't need to worry about that side either. Secondly, I personally am really pleased to see the price of this - to me it says that just about anyone can afford to have their own copy to enjoy, and to me that is fantastic - I'm reasonably sure that Wilde would agree with me. Wilde is one of the great authors in history, up there with the likes of Shakespeare, and I really believe that everyone should have access to this wonderful literature - so well done Amazon for bringing it to us so affordably!
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2009
The works of Oscar Wilde needs no further review - this is a classic collection. However, the print fonts are too small - that's the trade-off for the value edition. Having bought it now and realising the volume of his works, I would have liked this to be in 2 parts - one for stories and plays and the second for his poems. That would have made it more easy reading !
on 18 September 1999
Wilde can not be beaten - whether it is his passionate poetry, witty plays or his masterpieces - 'The Picture of Dorian Grey' and the breathtaking letter "De Profundis". He is sensual and so human that one can not help but cry and laugh along with his work. His philosophy, doctrines and morals combine with a tremendous feel for the beautiful and entertaining to produce the most remarkable works. So much love and pain is evident in all his pieces that they do not only affect one as fascinating examples of art but are instead felt in one's life.
on 5 January 2013
It does what it says on the can. The Complete works of Oscar Wilde for under £2.00. I had it in book form several years ago but gave it to a friend in Bulgaria. Now I have it again. I may purchase the whole series of "Complete Works of" - excellent.
on 27 December 2012
This is a great collection of Wilde's work. It would be nice to have va simple way to pick out the stories you want without having to look through it all.