on 3 February 2013
Firstly, this is a gorgeous piece of kit. The iHome iW1 is a feature all on it's own. I have it on top of a display cabinet and have people comment on how striking it is. Subtle but beautiful.

Secondly it works well, it's very easy to set up. There is something magical about being able to take your phone out of your pocket, selecting a song or a playlist, hitting the airplay icon and having quality sound filling the room. In fact i now use this speaker system to listen to radio through my phone. It works great with iTunes as well. I've read some reviews saying the sound drops. I have experienced this however only when either the speaker or phone is too far away from the wifi router. You can have the phone and speaker side by side, it makes no difference, it still has to go through the router.

I was looking at docking speaker systems before i received this, however with the new lightening connector making old docks redundant, Airplay is definitely the way to go. It's also worth pointing out that if you leave the speaker system on standby then it will connect instantly to any compatible idevice that is connected to the wifi network. That means, in my case, that my wife can use her iPhone to play songs when she likes as can the kids with their iPad. Easy peasy.

The killer feature for me however is the rechargeable dock. The speaker system just lifts on any off, no wires to plug/ unplug. I've used the system on battery for 3 hours and it was still going strong. Not sure how long it actually last for though. Great for being able to play music in the garden, bathroom, etc.

Could not be happier.
on 10 September 2012
I have had no problems with this product. Great sound quality with no drop outs. I have a strong wireless network which I think helps. I can imagine if you were too far from the wireless router there would be drop out issues but that is a problem with the network as opposed to the actual product.
on 20 April 2012
The sound is better than I'd expected and definitely out performs what you'd expect from a speaker of this size--especially given that it also contains batteries. The firmware/operation is temperamental. If you're prepared to restart it now and then, and forgive the fact that it needs some attention from time to time, it's a great addition to a home setup. It does seem to need a good wifi signal to work, and some of the buttons on the back have yet to do anything. Perhaps when the firmware is updated, it could be worthy of a recommendation.
on 7 February 2013
This is a great product but please don't be fooled people, just coz it's got an " i " in front of it's name it doesn't mean it's an apple product!!! But don't worry apple do register it as a deceit product that works well with apple devices. I've had no problems with songs cutting out and often walk 7, 8 meters away from the base unit with my phone in my pocket and it still plays fine. You need decent wifi though. If you do have problems with songs cutting out like some of the reviews have then just send it back and get another one! It's really easy to set up, I did it all by myself to the surprise of my IT wiz of a boyfriend, and it puts out a really good sound even when turned up loud. Thinking of getting another one for work. Get one and try it out they are worth the money.
on 18 February 2014
Initially really impressed with this unit - I like the AirPlay functionality via WiFi. However 18months on the battery (non replaceable) has failed and even after repeat charging will only last 20 mins. IHome state that the battery should last the life of the product.
on 14 August 2013
I was really disappointed with this product at first and nearly returned it. It wouldn't connect via AirPlay without a lot of hassle. After a few more goes though, everything started to work pretty well. It sounds good, looks good, and is great for having music outdoors. The biggest problem is the instructions that come with it, which are so vague. Ignore them and use the digital versions online.
on 4 January 2014
Absolutely brill, sounds amazing. Bought as a Xmas pressie on my recommendation, so glad I got it. I use it all the time.
on 30 December 2011
Bought as a christmas present for my husband and he absolutely loves it. Good sound quality and easy to set up. Works fantastically with his 3gs and mac book. Signal drops out when used with my 4S but according to ihome support there is a fix coming in the next iPhone software update which is due shortly.
on 25 December 2011
Set-up form phone was easy, but from laptop a bit more tricky. Works a treat with great sound,
but disappointed it plays only sound from iTunes (and not from Safari, Spotify or any other applications!)
Would've stuck with my USB speakers if I'd known, so be aware.
on 11 April 2014
Sounds great, easy to use and no wires! What's not to like. (A bit on the pricey side hence not 5 stars)