on 15 May 2011
I bought this book as part of my preparation plan for embarking on my new career as a TEFL teacher in South Korea, the book is simple, genuine and funny. I would recommend this to anyone thinking of going to teach in South Korea as it has some useful references on Korean food, places to visit and things to do. I read this book in one day, as I said the book is simple.
on 21 May 2011
This is a very interesting,amusing and useful book.As your previous reviewer said it can be read in a day and is ideal for a flight or other long journey.Korea is still an unknown area to many and the cultural references,particularly North Korea,give an on the spot image
on 19 February 2013
The author, while agreeably seemingly a 'nice guy', takes us through a regurgitation of his daily experiences as pulled from his daily diary. As such this comes across as a benign fact rich collection of the mundane. There is a complete lack of travel anecdote or thrill. The author recounts his 'sunburnt leg' - and indeed - this is the pinnacle of the experience as far as a the writers travel experience takes us. Facts are given and never expanded. It really is a lazy effort and conveys nothing more than the trifles of a nice guy abroad.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2012
Having taught English in East Asia myself I can relate to many of John's experiences. I agree it reads a bit like a blog at times but it's definitely an interesting and entertaining read for anyone thinking of teaching abroad.
on 16 April 2013
Lately I've been reading a few travelogues, and came to this book after reading 'for fukui's sake' about Japan. I found this one just as interesting, if you've read this one you should read that too! Great book
on 13 March 2012
This book reads very much like a blog which I personally don't think is positive thing for a book. I feel the writer could have done more to immerse the reader in the events that are taking place. Many times after reading the anecdotes I thought to myself "I guess you had to be there" but now I think that actually if the writer had refined his work more it may have been better.

All in all a nice nice book to read, particularly if you are interested in becoming a TEFL teacher in Korea (or Asia in general).
on 4 January 2012
If its extremeley detailed perceptions of TEFL in Korea then of course you will be dissappointed however I enjoyed its short length and funny anecdotal charm.