on 4 November 2011
This software costs more than a decent hardware Blu-Ray player, which is ridiculous. Furthermore, a hardware player will keep playing Blu-Ray discs for more than 2-3 years - PowerDVD won't! Here is what happens: the Blu-Ray format is mired with a whole mess of DRM. When you have software players, the DRM keys keep getting compromised so you need a patch to update the player with new DRM keys in order to play the latest Blu-Ray discs. Older discs will still play though. Unfortunately, Cyberlink eventually decides that they do not want to issue patches for older versions of PowerDVD because they want you to buy a new version. They do offer upgrades for existing users, but they are pretty pricey too!)

Furthermore, since the beginning of 2011, Blu-Ray players are not allowed to offer analogue output of the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD sound at full quality. It either has to be downmixed when using analogue output (you still get sound but not the top quality) or output over HDMI to an AV Amp.

These problems are not really Cyberlink's fault - it is all because of the over zealous DRM in Blu-Ray. However, they make using ANY software Blu-Ray player problematic. If you do not want Blu-Ray, then just get VLC player for free, and it does a splendid job with DVDs.

Pitched at around the £20 mark, PowerDVD Ultra would be worth considering, but at this price, it is a joke.

Note: there are some other annoying aspects of Blu-Ray on a PC. With DVDs you could always click on a menus item with a mouse. Some Blu-Ray discs support this - some don't. It is not mandatory. Therefore, you either have to use the arrow keys or the virtual remote window that PowerDVD provides. This can be a pain, and it is a lot easier to just have a hardware player with a proper remote.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2011
Having used PowerDVD products on my home theatre PC (HTPC) for a few years and upgraded through versions 7, 8, 10 all of which have been excellent I naturally thought that version 11 would continue the tradition. Sadly not.

My HTPC contains my DVD library (...) so have 2 folders for each DVD one contains a set of audio files and the other a set of .VOB video files. PowerDVD10 will enable the folder at the top of the tree to be selected - the Play button illuminates and away you go.

In PowerDVD11 you have to drill down through to the folder containing the .VOB files and guess which is the 1st one that should be played - that's a huge step backwards. I have contacted Cyberlink support who have said 'update your video and audio drivers to the latest release' - I have anyway and I'm an IT professional as well (so know what I'm doing) and it made no difference. Needless to say I have checked that .VOB files are in the associated file list etc.

Simply put - avoid PowerDVD11 - hopefully they will launch either a fix or a better product - I'm uninstalling mine and going back to version 10.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I avoided reviewing "Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra" for several months in the hope that if I kept using the software I might grow to like it or find some redeeming feature. Sadly I find that I have to agree with the majority of reviewers here. It's below average and comes with many problems.

I encounter an intermittent error when playing back Blu-ray discs, every now and again the software would close itself without warning and the movie alongside. Reinstalling made no difference, nor did any update or patch. I emailed Cyberlink's technical support and after four days I received a brief message from them telling to ensure my computer meets the minimum system requirements (for the record it easily surpasses them).

PowerDVD 11 Ultra takes far too long to load (much longer than media player) and the software seems more concerned about loading adverts and random stuff from websites than actually doing what its designed and developed to do. The interface is not what it used to be, and is less user friendly (it took me a while just to work out how to select a source).

I feel Cyberlink has lost its way. Previous versions of this software were very note-worthy and provided users a powerful movie suite. If it wasn't broke why try and fix it.

I don't understand what could justify the cost of the package when it doesn't do a great deal more than cheaper (and more stable) packages.

Sadly for the moment I would have to advise avoiding PowerDVD 11, I can only hope version 12 improves on things massively.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I used to like Cyberlink products. A few years ago I found them easy to use and quick helpful. Unfortunately, and seemingly tying in with the rise of Blu-ray, Cyberlink have lost the plot a bit. The interfaces are now incredibly confusing and the unwelcome profusion of 'social media' add ons is downright annoying. I would love to see the option to just de-activate all external activity for this software, for people like me who just want to watch a film and not be hassled by telling the world what I am watching.

Other negatives are the length of time it takes to do anything with this. Install is painful, and this is on a really high end spec PC. And the new feature of using my smartphone as a remote control has been a mixed bag. It intitally worked but seems to have gone on the blink now. I would also say that if you have an earlier version of this there really isn't much new that justifies the extra cost.

I guess if you had no other software available this is an option and it does play DVD and Blu-Rays (though some compatibility issues extist). And it does have quite a wide range of options to allow you to set up video and sound in some detail, so for home cinemas driven by a PC this may be useful.

In short I find it hard to recommend Cyberlink PowerDVD anymore, and I can only hope later versions become less intrusive and simpler to work with.
on 5 September 2012
On a PC running XP, I simply wanted a programme to play DVDs from a DVD drive, mostly for reference for work.

It seems to spend most of its time trying to access the internet to advertise movies to me I don't want to see, and when you simply want to just watch a DVD it locks most of the time. It doesn't switch between full screen and in a window view properly.

I am not convinced the colour space works correctly either.

It is junk.
on 26 November 2011
I principally want to play video files from an external hard drive, but this software is almost useless for my needs. The user interface is inactive for this usage, so I have to go the long way round via my computer and directly to the IFO/VOB files. This would not be so bad, but if I actually try to do some work on my computer through a CDROM or save to a CD it discontinues playback. This is a quote from customer services "In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that disc drive should be empty while playing any movie from the hard drive through PowerDVD 11 as the content of the disc in a drive may also conflict with the current playback." So I work or watch movies, not both.
It does play blu-ray, but only after various other interfaces load up. I have no interest whatsoever in Youtube, Facebook, Movielive or any other social networking - I want to watch a movie, and to have all these things as defaults is extremely irritating. I don't care what anyone else thinks of the movie I am watching, and I'm not going to tell some total stranger what I think, I just want to watch a movie.
I can't play my Blu-ray audio Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon except in stereo, and I can't play FLAC files, so it doesn't "transform ALL your media into 3D and HD", so Cyberlink's own publicity is misleading, and how can Cyberlink and Corel WinDVD both be the No 1 for media?
When I first wanted to play Blu-ray on my pc the Sony drive came with bundled Cyberlink which worked. When I had to have some work done on the hard drive it was necessary to re-load the Cyberlink, but it was "out-of-date" and wouldn't install, so I paid for Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, which wouldn't play Blu-ray, but was otherwise fine - so I lost my Blu-ray. I then updated to PowerDVD 11 and have effectively nothing.
Between the cost of a computer to play Blu-ray in surround sound (which actually worked correctly with the free bundled software 2 years ago) and two updated versions of Cyberlink failing to solve the problem, I have a £1500 ornament.
I have now downloaded VLC to play my video files perfectly, and have a Panasonic Blu-ray player which does the rest.

I can not recommend this software to anyone.
on 11 April 2013
Good product but slightly overpriced for the functionality. Having had it some time now, it has fallen foul a few times of windows upgrades. You have to be careful to get the right upgrades in the right order from Cyberlink website. Mine fell over from a recent Windows upgrade. I re-installed it and tried to upgrade to the latest build which failed. After some searching I found out that in order get my copy up to the latest revision I had to upgrade the revisions sequentially. It is now fine but it could have been made clearer on the Cyberlink website.
on 6 December 2011
I think it's rather pathetic that, in this day and age, we are able to purchase blu-ray drivers so we can watch all our blu rays on our own PC's (a huge convenience if your housemates are hogging up the telly in the front room watching X-Factor and you wanna watch your Fightclub blu ray) only to find how much it crashes, stalls, and basically bugs out.

Adding to the fact you need to pay a great deal of money for this buggy software itself, and this seems to be the only software. If that's the point, why bother to release BD Roms in the first place?

I remember when I had my first computer back in '99, you could play a dvd with ease in windows media player for free, I didn't have a dvd player myself, and I was amazed at how cool this feature was.

If it was a stable software that was alot cheaper, it wouldn't be a problem. But it isn't. MY BD ROM drive didn't come with any software itself, so I had to use this. The player was cheaper than the software itself. What kind of times are we living in?

They really need to release the equivalent of something like windows media player, or VLC, and pretty pronto, if they want BD ROMs to take off, else they'll become obsolete. It's all about MONEY.

And to think this is the ONLY software that plays blu rays? Tut tut. Due to Cyberlink being somewhat unreliable, I had to uninstall it, then reinstall it, and it wouldn't even install! Something about a Installshield information thing being invalid or something, so now, I can't even play blu rays on my BD ROM drive!

USELESS!!!
on 27 January 2012
First of all let me say that when I bought a bluray drive for my pc in early December, Cyberlink Power dvd 8 bluray edition was bundled with it. After the installation I was a really happy guy - superb quality. The drawback came when I received messages to desktop such as 'this version of Power dvd doesn't support Dolby digital and you need to upgrade' etc. Anyway - a 30 day fully working free trial of Pdvd 11 was available and I gave it a go. What an outstanding piece of software! The up-scaling of normal dvds needs to be seen to be believed and bluray playback is phenomenal. This ,together with the handling of MKV files, photos and sound files soon convinced me to purchase the full retail edition. - - - - - - - - Boy did I wish I'd checked out other reviews and forums before I parted with cash!

After installing Pdvd 11 retail version. I was subjected to having to install two patches to get it working. Ok, I suppose, if it is an improvement to the already impressive trial version. Photos, songs and up-scaled standard dvds -yes. BUT try to play a blu ray disc - no chance - program locks up and has to be closed by task manager. Cyberlink support don't have an answer saying things like ' upgrade your graphics card ' or 'Try re-installing'. They miss the point that Powerdvd 8 works fine and the trial power dvd 11 TRIAL worked fine with my current set-up. Also - a quick Google search reveals that many people have complained about this issue since last September.

So - the bottom line is -this could happen to others - be warned. Obviously I can only give feedback on my experience and you might be lucky. I now use Power dvd 8 for blu-ray and 11 for files and standard dvd play and live in hopes of a much needed third patch.
VINE VOICEon 15 February 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Installed this on my three year old laptop, which meets almost none of the hardware acceleration requirements, to see how it performed. It installed fine, and to my surprise it loads up quickly with Windows 7 and plays all of my DVDs and most of the video files I have stored on my hard disk. Something which Windows Media Player did already. And it will produce a sideshow of my photos. Which Windows did already.

The only thing that this has allowed me to do is watch existing films in 3D. Which would have been nice if they had supplied a pair of 3D glasses in the box. For the price I am sure that a pair of those cardboard ones wouldn't have been too much to ask. It also chugged along occasionally in the 3D mode, but on a laptop that isn't a surprise.

Overall if you don't have a media player on your computer then you may consider this, but make sure you meet the specs if you plan on using the fancy stuff.