on 1 August 2014
I bought this book, along with 2 other titles "JavaScript: The Good Parts" & "Javascript Patterns", and all I can say is that this Trilogy is essential reading for any programmer.

These 3 books never leave my desktop! I have read them all cover to cover, Something I have never done with any other programming books I have ever bought. My bookshelf is littered with Half read, flicked through tomes of regret.

I can honestly say, that getting to understand the worlds most misunderstood programming language has probably been the most enjoyable experience of my programming career!

This tome is a lofty read, weighing in at a 1018 pages, it takes some doing to get through, but I can promise you, if you have been working with Javascript for a while, you are going to experience many epiphanies!

I admit as a cover to cover read, it is hard going, but it was the growing interest and the desire to learn more about the language that kept me going. I definitely feel, that after reading all three books my Javascript skills went through the roof!

The authors, style makes this book very approachable, which is a change from a majority of the programming books out there. Most books are either way too academic or far too dumbed down. I feel the author got it just right!
on 2 March 2016
A comprehensive, but ultimately dry and dull reference book to JavaScript and jQuery. This is the type of book I tend to buy but rarely read. I just have it on my shelf, and occasionally take it down to look up something. It's one of the better books on JavaScript, however.
on 7 September 2017
This is quite an old book, although it has been revised to bring it up to latest versions of javascript. I would recommend that anyone wishing to understand javascript, should read this book. Remember, all javaScript libraries are based on this. and you can use native javaScript and intermingle it with the libraries such as jQuery.
on 9 January 2004
This book is better than Danny Goodman's JS Bible and Danny Goodman's Dynamic DHTML - The Definitive Guide (although a very good book in its own right). If you know some JavaScript but wish learn it properly then by this book, you will not be disappointed.
Despite other peoples comments about it being dry and only good as a reference, I have to say I disagree. It's a book you can't put down once you start reading it and the best reference for JavaScript I have read.
Probably not the ideal book for total newbie's but as long as you know the basics of JavaScript or have some experience with a similar scripting language such as PHP this book will set you on the right road.
on 14 August 2017
Very good and comprehensive. You want to get this, and not the one that claims to be just 'the good bits'.
on 28 March 2017
Still reading but so far so good.
on 10 October 2013
This book is a good introduction to JavaScript. I bought years back when I was new to JavaScript and it gave me a rock solid understanding to start developing.
on 16 October 2014
Very useful to have on your bookcase - for those memory block moments!
on 18 September 2011
I've read through a couple of starter books on Javascript and have past experience of C programming. However this book really is on a higher level and I feel like I am actually learning the true 'nature of the beast', painful as it is. Whereas the starter level books tell you how to make things work in the real world, this book describes why they work that way.

It's like learning how to drive a car and wanting to know how the gear box is put together at the same time though. I'm sure you could do a lot of Javascript programming with out the level of detail this book goes into, however hopefully my efforts will be rewarded !

I'd say that the examples used often introduce complicated syntax or extra twists that go beyond what is being illustrated, as a newby this does really make your head hurt, however I generally get there in the end if I go back and review what I have read. I've read a lot of Unix man pages in my time and reading this book is kind of like reading one long man page. Pretty un-relenting stuff compared to the chatty nature of the Dummies books for example ! Wish me luck completing this please ;-)

25-09-11

I have now finished reading the first part of this book. The second part is what I am really interested in and I am now hooked ! It's amazing to think that JavaScript is at the heart of the internet and WWW 2.0 . It surely can not be a wasted effort to learn about JavaScript. There is not a more authoritative book to learn from either as far as I know .

13-10-11

I'm now half way though the jQuery section of this book. I have revisited some of the easier books I read prior to this one today and it strikes me how they all gloss over the details. I promise you that once you have read through all the examples in this book and understood them you will feel like you have really advanced ! I feel like I am now getting ready to start making web pages and hope to try to make a living out of it.

One thing that stuck me is how the Author says he has been effected by Piracy. OK so it's good to have on-line copies of books, but I really like having a physical copy. I like to take it out with me and read it sat in the car for example. At Amazon's price you will probably end up paying that much in Electricity by the time you complete this book any how ! If nothing else this book is a great read and I find it highly stimulating to learn so much detail about a language that is so intrinsic to the web. I fail to see how time invested in reading this book can fail to pay dividends ! Great book .

4-Jan-2013

I've really studied hard into HTML and CSS and now I've come back to this book and started reviewing the 'Client Side' section, having read it through some time ago. I have learned a lot from this book about programming in general and it's interesting to see from this review how far I have progressed in my reading ! Upon reflection I think some of the material in Pt. 1 of this book could be skipped, probably for 80-90 percent of readers... Details that are 'nice to know' but not essential unless you write advanced Library code or are trying to solve a specific problem.. So perhaps bare this in mind if you seem to be getting bogged down ! BTW The PDF version of this sits on my 'Retina' iPad and I love it !
22 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2007
After many years struggling with rudimentary JavaScript and never being able to find a sensibly structured book on the subject, a colleague recommended

'JavaScript - the Definitive Guide'. O'Reilly have never really impressed me as a publishing house but this book is the best there is. The coverage is as extensive as it is complete. Especially noteworthy is its carefully documented chapters on the relationships between functions and objects which other authors shy away from. Want to be as good as Dean Edwards ? This is the book to get you there.