on 1 October 2004
I own the 3rd edition, this 4th edition has another 200 pages I don't do that much with javascript (my motto being: use the right tool for the job) - So I put off the purchase but it is worth the money.
If you don't own any version of this book. I'd recommend you buy it.
on 12 August 2013
I was teaching a 5 day javascript course and felt that (i) My knowledge might have been a bit weak in some areas and (ii) the course notes might put a lot of attention on the lecturer for detail.
This book just covers everything you need to know, its easy to find the stuff you need as the index works very well, and David Flanagan's style is easy to read and understand. It helped me get up to the standard I needed in order to teach the course by 'cherry picking' the knowledge I needed from the book.
The book is over 1000 pages but I'd recommend it to a beginner or to an expert alike.
on 3 October 2010
This is one of the very few decent books on javascript, the other ones written by Crockford or Resig. Well worth having on your shelf, all the more because of the large amount of bad javascript books and websites!
on 13 August 2016
Not for beginners.Code examples are hard to understand.
on 15 June 2011
Ordered this for well under the price for new and got a second hand as-new item. Ordered it and received it two days before the delivery estimate.

The book is well structered with an overview of the language lexicon followed by industry standard usage examples and a well laid out references section both for language usage and client side usage. The writing style is coherent and engaging with a clear narrative that should be understood by novice and expert alike.

On the whole very happy.
on 24 July 2013
Add 'JavaScript the good parts' and take this book and you have everything you need to master Javascript (I'm a software developer)
on 2 February 2011
I'm not an expert in JavaScript. I've done some code based on snippets found on the internet. I bought this book because I wanted to improve my knowledge and have a handy reference.

The book is very good on giving you an overview about the ideas and the possibilities of JavaScript. You'll get a good knowledge about JavaScript if you work your way through it from the beginning to the end but it fails when it comes to the practical work. There are two main reasons for it:

first: The examples are not good. There are mostly too long ad often not really instructive. You'll always find much better examples in the first one or two Google results.

second: The index is very badly made. At least in the fifth edition many page numbers are simply wrong. You often have to turn a couple of pages back or forth to find what you were actually looking for. The other drawback is that the index doesn't specify the main entry - it just lists the occurences of the keyword.
on 23 March 2014
This is the best book I have read so far as a Javascript newbie but as an experienced programmer.
It explaines extremely well the notions of OOP programming but maybe explains too much about the ECMAscript 3 and doesn't focus entirely on 5.

overall a great read
on 27 November 2014
As a C# dev I was previously able to sprinkle little bits of js around, or for anything more ambitious to take forever to create js logic, however this book has really got down to explaining everything brilliantly. Would strongly recommend to anyone, beginner to advanced alike
on 4 May 2009
I received this book last month and it's already in a bad state. I read it a lot of times. It has a lot of examples and it's as clear as possible.
You will teach on every aspect of Javascript and the Ajax update is very interesting.
Definitely, a must have.