Customer reviews

on 11 July 2012
I stumbled on this little book while looking for some kindle format Beach Boys books to take on holiday.

I'm a long time fan of the group (well Brian mainly) and I found it an immensely readable account of each released Beach Boys song from 1962-69 (dealt with in CD-reissue order). There are thoughts on the musical ideas, arrangements, chords and compositional structure as well as some session titbits (and lots of added opinions!)

It's not a blow-by-blow account of every session, musician used or action by the band - It's just the story told through the released music (and it's all the better for it!). It does what good books about music should always try to do - it makes you go back to the original records themselves and appreciate and understand them a little bit more. It's also fun to agree, disagree and ponder along with the author (I loved the obvious but often overlooked Lennon comparisons)

As an added bonus, it was an unexpected joy to do all this in a nice and relaxed ebook format (at a great price!) rather than frantically clicking your way through a hundred blogs and garish internet forums.

I loved it!
on 25 August 2013
I always really enjoy books that are highly opinionated, and this is one of them. The author is very passionate and knowledgable about his subject, and despite often finding myself disagreeing with him, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. One Amazon reviewer seemed to take umbrage at the fact that some songs were given little space compared to others, but jeez, how much is there to say about Ten Little Indians or Denny's Drums?

At the end of the day, this track by track guide made me want to listen to The Beach Boys songs as I read about them, and with the amazing Made In California box set out this week, this book is an ideal companion piece.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 March 2015
Will make you go back to your BB CD's and listen afresh.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 December 2011
Anyone, who like this author, cites Smiley Smile (and Love You) as amongst their favourite all time Beach Boys records just has to be taken note of. In similar fashion to this writer, although I'm a little older than him, I've loved the music of the Beach Boys throughout my life and I can easily relate to each CD as it is expertly broken down song by song. This book deals with more than the hits. That is, those that everyone is familiar with and cleverly explains how Brian Wilson would use some of his musical ideas in his songs on more than one occasion. It's a great little read but you really have to be a huge fan or else it might come across as over the top to a casual (or newcomer) fan of Beach Boys music. I'm already looking forward to volumes 2 and 3.