on 14 October 2015
I would recommend this shaver. It gives a nice close shave on short facial hair, and leaves the skin very smooth without redness or irritation. I have only ever used a conventional razor, except for an early experiment with a electric shaver about 20 years ago, and i had assumed from that brief flirtation they electric shavers were not very good. However, this one is mostly excellent. You have to move it in circular motions, not up and down or side to side, and it needs regular cleaning (opening up the top and running it under hot water) as you shave. It's a bit tricky on the neck, I find, but it still works very well, especially if you push your chin down, rather than up as one would when using a razor. I did encounter few problems, but these are mostly correctable. Firstly, it doesn't work very well on long facial hair. I have fairly dense, dark beard growth, and after a few days of stubble -- three or four -- the shaver doesn't really work. It works best for daily shaving, or once every other days -- though maybe isn't an issue for those with lighter, fairer beards. Secondly, it definitely needs to be used wet, on a shaving preparation (a non-foaming gel works best for me). The dry shave isn't very good. Finally, and this is the only problem that can't be fixed -- the trimmer on the reverse side is useless. It doesn't work on sideburns, for example, or for trimming longer beard hair before using the shaver. In summary, this is a great piece of equipment, but if you buy it, don't throw away your razor just yet -- you'll need it for longer stubble, and for cleaning up sideburns or around your ears.
on 10 July 2017
I had my last Philishave for over 15 years without a single glitch. Didn't even need to replace the blades! It used to last 3 to 4 weeks between charges. Towards the end the charge wasn't giving me enough shaves to last a holiday so I bought one of these Aqua Touch shavers which seems to be the modern equivalent. I love the fact that you can clean the shaver by holding it under a running tap. It gave a comfortable and close enough shave for me and was extremely quiet. Unfortunately after 2 months it stopped working in the middle of a shave and I couldn't get it going again, though it didn't need charging. After that, the shaver would sometimes spontaneously turn itself on for a few seconds and sometimes the green charging light would stay permanently on but it was unresponsive to anything I tried. From other reviewers with this problem it seems that it let some water in. Since I bought this through Amazon Market Place and it was more than 30 days old there was no easy way to get it replaced. Fortunately when I spoke to Philips they agreed to replace it for me themselves, even though it is the retailer's responsibility.
on 15 February 2017
This was very good while it lasted, but after a year it failed and wouldn't switch on any more. Philips customer service was excellent, though, and I received a free replacement under warranty of a different model which I like even better (the S5420/06). They both give a clean shave and I like to use them with shaving gel for a smooth and pain free experience. The battery life is very good, too. I paid 50 pounds for this one, and it seemed about right. I wouldn't want to spend much more.
on 26 July 2017
I have always used the other form of electric shaver (Braun, Panasonic etc.) with the side to side cutters. I thought I would have a change and try the Philips rotary type. This razor is quieter. That's about all I can say on the plus side. It does not shave any closer, in fact I would say not so well as the others. What it does do is snatch at long hairs and rip them out, or at least make you very sore when cut. It may be good for some people, but not for me
on 26 July 2015
I've bought two of these. The first one broke after 9 months. The second lasted longer - 18 months, but the switch now doesn't work. It's really depressing. it's a good product but beware - Philips quality control is crap.
on 13 May 2017
Not just for men... this is a great shaver, it works really well, charges quickly and lasts a long time before a re-charge is needed. I use it for shaving my legs, and it's so much better than a foil shaver and much more convenient than using razor blades. Don't use it on underarms, though, as it can snag the soft skin and leave a slight graze!
on 11 July 2015
I have been using this shaver for a while now and its been really great the blades need replacing every once in a while but thats not really an issue and is something you have to do with every shaver. The additional trimmer also gives it great functionality. I love the grip as well, makes it easy to handle, also I love that it's waterproof as it means I can shave off a few minutes at the start off my day by shaving in the shower
on 12 December 2014
Lovely shave when using it as a wet razor. This is my third Philips electric shaver. My last one was about 4 years old and the blades etc wanted replacing. I thought rather than spend out on new blades it was better to replace the whole thing. Very pleased that I did, my last one wasn't "wet and dry" and I had forgotten how nice it is to have a wet shave with an electric shaver. With the hot water on my face and the shaving gel it's a nice comfortable shave, far closer than the dry version. The only downside was trying to use the Philips website to register the product, not the easiest one I've used by a long way.
on 15 April 2017
Bought to replace identical shaver which i unfortunately dropped having had for about 15 years. Excellent product, would highly recommend this shaver. I use prior to a wet blade razor for a really close shave with no nicks or cuts that lasts all day.
on 24 August 2017
After just 2 years 3 months the battery refused to hold its charge.

Contacted Philips' Customer Service Dept who despite it being out of warranty, offered a replacement.

Excellent customer service.