Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more

on 1 May 2017
I found much of Lowry's critique of modern combative training to come from a very negative mindset, while most of what he has to say is absolutely valid and true I believe it would have been better delivered from a more modest and objective outlook, rather than being framed in complaints and aired with an entitled attitude which borders on arrogance.
This book may be quite useful to anyone new to martial arts training, but I feel that it probably won't provide too much for anyone who's more experienced in their martial way already.
on 30 November 2010
I have to say that this book is nothing new from Dave Lowry, but since he has a winning formula that make his books the most lucid and tangible explanations of difficult concepts in the Budo (martial ways) its a thoroughly enjoyable and informative read. Mr Lowry continues to make less obvious observations of concepts, ideas and techniques from the Budo and uses them as a tool to lead into the explanation of other ideas. On the way one learns such a lot of interesting and useful information that after a chapter I'm often left thinking about what I've just read and its applications to my practise of Budo and there aren't any other authors who make me do that! What I like about Mr Lowry's writings compared to most other authors in this field is that he never resorts to using vague language or mystic notions to hide a lack of understanding. He's always on the button and makes the esoteric accessible to all. Other authors could learn a lot from Mr Lowry.

I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 13 September 2012
I have now purchased 3 of Mr Lowrys books. This one "The essence of Budo" just like the others I have read is a simply brilliant read and an invaluable addition to my martial arts library. Mr Lowry explains the deep phylosophical values of Japanese Martial Arts in a sincere and infomative way that makes the complex concepts of Japanese Budo more understandable to a western reader. Newcomers to the world of Budo may not fully understand the messages translated so eloquently, but as a experienced martial artist you will find many of the chapters will reinforce and enhance your understanding and experience of Budo. Well done Mr Lowry
on 30 September 2013
A lot of information and you will learn so much. It doesn't matter if you're into karate, aikido, judo or any other Martial art.
on 28 May 2012
I'm beginning to become a bit of a fan of our Mr. Lowry. I have several of his books and find them informative reading. That is not to say he is dry or too acedemic and you will find yourself nodding in agreement with some of his observations of karateka and karate sensei. I recommended this one to my students. 'Nuff said!
on 7 June 2014
I ordered this book after reading Movingtoward stillness, which I found to be a very good, well written book, and this book is written quite well but the anther does seem to like Moan about previous encounters in the past.
on 26 January 2016