on 13 December 2012
Maybe, like me, you're looking for binoculars for astronomy but don't know much about astronomy yet and are just starting out? You might also be wondering "if I buy them what will I actually see"? I've written this review to try and tell you (wish someone had done this for me).

You, like me, probably keep reading that you should buy the best you can afford and people talk about spending at least £75 on anything "worthwhile". Maybe I'm a cheapskate but, I thought, for this price, I'd try these first and upgrade if I had to. If this sounds like the decision you're trying to make then I'd say these are great value for money and "good enough" for a rank amateur astronomy starter like me.

Look, I don't know about barrel distortion or chromatic aberration or what have you. I was just trying to work out if I should pay £100 for 10x50 bins or get these low price ones and figure you (the reader) might be making that decision too. No doubt people more expert than I would complain about them and they don't instill too much confidence when they arrive, perhaps, but I can see crisp images of moon craters and if I mount them on a tripod (see bottom of review) I can even convince myself I've seen Jupiter's moon's. I can definitely see the Orion nebula (hey, look, it really isn't just a star) and the Pleiades simply pop out at you (so many stars in one place). OK, so the Andromeda galaxy is still just a smudge but it's a definite "something that looks like an oval mini-cloud" not a "have I seen it or not" averted gaze "wisp".

Am I pleased with them? Yes I am. Would I recommend them to you? Yes I would.

Do I think I'll grow out of them and want something more in 3 to 6 months? No, don't think I will.

Will I grow out of them and want more in a year or so? Yes, I'll probably get a telescope if I've still "got the astronomy bug", but I'll have seen loads of stuff by then for much less than spending £100+ and, if I don't "get the astronomy bug" then I've not spent a fortune and can use them for bird-watching and sports (also impressive for that too)...

Footnote on tripod mounting: You will need to buy an L-adaptor but they do have a tripod mounting screw socket to use one with - wasn't clear from the pictures so thought I'd pass that on
1212 Comments| 546 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 15 April 2016
I know less about binoculars than what I do Sushi - and I know NOTHING about Sushi (it's chicken or something isn't it?). I couldn't tell you what the "10 x 50 high power magnification" or the "field of view" means. All I can tell you is that I purchased these "Serious User Binoculars" expecting them to be a basic, uninspiring tool that I would use now and again to look at something further away trying to spot the Sushi in the sky (it's a kind of bird isn't it? am I getting close?). With the low price I really wasn't expect much but I was pleasantly surprised.

Firstly the build quality is excellent. Solidly constructed with a rubber body and rubber optic covers, they are heavy but not overly so, large but still easily comfortable to hold and easy to adjust. What makes these so good is the very unexpectedly clear and crisp image you can view through them. My friend has a pair of binoculars nearly three times the cost and they are not as good as this pair. You can see a great distance with a lot of clarity. You can use them in low light and even at night for err.... moon watching. They even came with a reasonably good carry case and an optic cleaning cloth. I was seriously impressed here and have spent hours using these.

For the price I think it would be very difficult to find something better.
on 20 May 2017
Brilliant binoculars for the price. Bought for my sons birthday and although I wanted something relatively decent for his nature watching and moon gazing, I was conscious that as a starter pair, they may be outgrown quickly. How wrong I was. When moon gazing they are better on a tripod as they are a little heavy for him to hold still for longer periods but otherwise they're brilliant. The moon is crystal clear, you can see all the terrain/ shapes etc. The one tiny tiny niggle for me, is that the lens caps don't stay on at all, which when trying to protect the lens seems a little odd? However, that's a very minute issue and one which can be overlooked when paying such a good price for what appears to be an exceptional quality pair of binoculars.
on 15 January 2013
The binoculars have a good solid feel about them. There is a rubberised grip which feels nice and firm and much of the body is also rubberised, which will protect against any knocks or scrapes. The overall focus and the right eye focus are easily adjustable and firm. This is important as I can easily make adjustments for my eyesight and not need to wear spectacles. There are also rubber eye protectors so you can get your eyes very close and keep out any unwanted extraneous light. I am very pleased with the optics. They are certainly sufficient for bird watching and star gazing. The binoculars come with rubber slip on protectors for the lenses and an adequate but rather flimsy case. There is a socket which enables a tripod mount to be attached, which is useful for star gazing. I do not have experience of expensive binoculars but these seem very good quality to me and I can't envisage wanting to buy anything more expensive in the future.
on 1 August 2017
I brought the 10x50 from the hobby store 4 years ago and without a doubt they are the best long distant binoculars that I have ever used. I was in the merchant navy for over 40 years with a fair time on the bridge using all sort a sizes and makes, mostly the 10x40s but these are the best. I have paid a lot of money for good pairs and these were £30 then, and cheaper now. I also brought from the the Hobby shop 10x42. Amazing for short distances and long. Both pairs are well made, you can pay a lot of money but never get the view and satisfaction that I get from these.
on 7 September 2013
Really superb binoculars for the price. I've used them on the shoreline, in the countryside and animal and bird watching. The only annoying thing for me is that I wear spectacles and although they can be adapted for specs wearers, I do find them annoying using with my specs. So I take off my specs and adjust the focus on the binoculars for my eyes. Now I need a chain for my specs!! Or contact lenses which I've steadfastedly avoided for years. But yes, great binoculars for the amateur at a great value price.
on 11 May 2017
Great for my 7 year old to stargaze without the hassle of setting up a telescope
on 18 September 2016
Awful. Simply awful. They're not that cheap and the covers and bag to store it are a nice touch, but it arrived with bent optics, unscrewed and forced back on at an angle. If mine arrived like so, can't imagine others are treated differently.
review image
on 10 May 2017
I ain't no binocular expert but these binoculars are excellent in my opinion. You can see very far distances with these binoculars and the sight quality is A1. Definitely superb value.
on 10 May 2017
I ordered this item sometime ago. Delivery was first class. The product is absolutely amazing in terms of the clarity of the view, light weight for holding up and carrying . For the price paid this is a bargain. I have other more expensive ones as well ; but I am very impressed and happy with my new one.