on 20 July 2017
I have had this handheld for a few years and have had no major fault with it. Accepting the fact that most handhelds have a small dust bin and that the battery life/run time is not long, this one is better than others I have had in the past. I found the run time stated in the product info of 10 minutes to be about accurate and it is very easy to open and empty. The filter is easy to remove and can be brought back to life by lightly brushing with a soft brush to remove fine dust. The charging base it comes with has space underneath to wrap and tidy away any excess cable. The large handle over arching the rear portion makes holding it comfortable and easier for people with problems gripping items to control. The power of the suction is good for dust and small particles. The only downsides I have found are that it can struggle to pick up larger particles and it is quite noisy. I also found that when finished using I had to tap any remaining debris that has not got into the dust bin out of the nozzle otherwise when it was folded and placed back on charging stand it would fall out everywhere. The only other slight bugbear is that the charging light only flashes to say when charging then stays on when charged, there is no indication of percentage of charge although it does flash when using to indicate near end of run time but as the light is on the side it is not that noticeable.

PROS:
• Good suction
• Easy to empty
• Filter and bin easy to clean
• 10 min run time with no fade out
• Stable charging base
• Cable tidies away
• Comfortable to use
• Sturdy construction

CONS:
• Quite loud
• Debris fallout when off
• Struggles with large bits
• No percentage charge indication
on 21 August 2016
I've tried a few different handheld vacuum cleaners, and have to say that this is the best one yet. The suction on it is nearly as powerful as my main vacuum, and the charge holds enough to give my average size bedroom a thorough hoovering. Unlike the other portables I've tried, it doesn't just pick up larger particles but it picks up dust with ease, and even gets small particles out of carpet. The bulkiness of the dust compartment makes it a bit difficult to get into tight spaces, but unless you get one with a hose then that'll be the case with most portable vacuum cleaners. I've used it around the house, for quickly cleaning up accidents and spills, as well as giving the car a good clean too, the inbuilt extendible crevice tool makes getting between the car seats a breeze. Nothing this size will compare to a full size vacuum, but the size is just so handy, and I haven't come across anything yet that it doesn't clear. For the price it's great.

Review update: After a few months the battery started lasting less and less until now it only powers on for a few minutes. The new Lithium Ion version should fix this issue was there shouldn't be a battery memory problem with them. Hence downrated to 3 stars
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 November 2014
Battery. Yes, in a word: Battery. I bought mine in May 2013, and now, just over a year later, its battery is lasting no more than a usable 5 minutes. After 5 minutes of use, its suction drops so much that it can barely suck up a peppercorn.

Given the fact that its battery is all too typical of consumer electronics nowadays - i.e., you can expect to throw the whole object away once its battery fails, I can only recommend this item with that overriding caveat. In other words, if only its battery could be replaced, I would give it full marks. The problem is, the reality is, it can't. And so, its dropping to 5 minutes of usefulness (before needing a 12-14 hour recharge) simply isn't good enough, especially after only a year's moderate usage. I'd buy this type of item again, if there are marked improvements in battery life only. Shame really.
on 24 July 2017
I have had one of these for a while, it does the job, but, it didn't last very long and when it came to replacing it, I decided to buy a Dyson V8 animal which will act as a big hoover as well as hand held, it was more expensive, but at the time I got £100 off the price at John Lewis. The Black and Decker I purchased on this occasion was for my daughter, before my own machine gave up the ghost.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 June 2017
oh this product makes your life so much easier.
You don't have to use the carpet vacuum to clean a small mess.
This vacuum is very powerful and runs for a long time once its been charged.
Definitely recommended!

If you like this review, click on the 'yes' button below.
on 19 October 2011
I compared the 18v and 12v of this cleaner in a leading electrical store - the 18v is a completely different beast to the 12v. It's like comparing your dyson to those horrible dustbusters of old that didn't really pick up.

I did notice the problem that Which Magazine and several reviewers on here noted - the flap that was supposed to stop the dirt you've picked up from falling out of the cylinder and back down the spout is too weakly sprung - but I thought I could live with that given its immense suction power.

However, I can confirm that the model Amazon sent me a couple of weeks ago has had the offending flap design modified by B&D (as B&D told Which Magazine they would do and it works perfectly.

Highly recommended.
33 Comments| 336 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2014
This Is perfect for my small one bed flat. I only have carpet in my living room and hallway and very little storage so a large upright hoover was impractical and unnecessary. This little vacuum does the job, it only lasts about 10 mins at full power which is enough time for me to wiz round a room or for a deep clean I pop it back on charge while I have a cup of tea and then carry on cleaning. it takes up very little space to store. Only downside is, it doesn't let you know when its fully charged so I just leave my connected to charging base all the time so I know its ready when I need it.
on 15 February 2012
Very good and useful. A little noisy but good suction and battery life excellent. Would have been nice to have a wall mounting
on 4 July 2012
We had the previous version of this product which died due to the battery dying a few months ago. We were pretty happy with the performance of that one though it had some bugs (for example, you had to be careful to empty out the trash collection can after usage or some of the trash would come back out of the nozzle). This is an essential product especially if you have small kids who can make an unbelievable amount of mess in very short time and it is a hassle to get your big vaccum cleaner out each time. So we bought this as a replacement and could not be happier. The suction is even more powerful than before and the bug that I mentioned seems to have been fixed. Hope the battery lasts at least as long this time, but given its price if we can get a couple of years out of it that should be good enough.
on 16 April 2013
This is an excellent little machine - does exactly what it's supposed to do and is quite light so makes carrying around so easy.
The battery seems to last much longer than any other handheld cleaner I've had in the past which is excellent and it is so easy to empty plus all the attachments needed are built in so are always to hand.

I would definitely recommend as it's perfect on hard floors as well as carpets - especially good for stairs and pet hairs!!