on 26 December 2012
Just what it says on the side.... This is Very intuitive, I have been learning Spanish, slowly but steadily, and I am please with the learning style, the only bad point is that what your learning has no English translation.... Just pictures, so you are kinda making up what your saying unless you have a translator (e.g a translating application on your phone) to destinguish each word....
Oh and you only get free use of native translators for a few months before you have to pay, and the time starts from the day you set account.
Other than that I'm very happy with it.

Sólo lo que dice al lado... Esto es muy intuitiva, he estado aprendiendo español, lento pero constante y por favor, estoy con el estilo de aprendizaje, lo único malo es que lo que su aprendizaje no tiene ninguna traducción al inglés... Sólo imágenes, por lo que está haciendo un poco arriba de lo que usted dice a menos que tengas un traductor (por ejemplo, una aplicación de traducción en su teléfono) para designar cada palabra...
Oh y sólo obtendrá libre uso de traductores nativos para unos meses antes de que usted tiene que pagar, y el tiempo empieza desde el día cuenta.
Que estoy muy contento con él.
on 2 May 2013
I think this is the definitive language tool and is addictive as well as being easy to dive in and get started.

I really don't understand the knockers of Rosetta Stone and particularly the ones who criticise the ipad and iphone apps. They are identical to the main course and your progress gets updated on each as you sign in so you can continue from your last point.

Using the included microphone is definitely much better than using my computers in built microphone but the iPad version mic has also worked very well (on ipad mini).

I have used Michel Thomas which i also highly rate and that gets you talking faster but Rosetta Stone builds up you vocabulary in more detail. I MT in the car and RS when at home!
Expensive but really worth the money. The price on amazon does swing by quite a large amount depending upon what offers the Rosetta Stone website has on. Amazon always seems to be cheaper though so keep you eye out on the price so you dont buy at the wrong time!
on 28 March 2013
Bought this in the amazon sale, saving over £60 so in that respect it is good VFM. We are busy using it at the moment and are impressed by the learning system used, very easy to navigate and use, the only one disappointment is that the on-line interactive conversation between yourself and like-minded native Spanish talkers only lasts for 3 months, after which time you have to subscribe - no real problem for us as we live in Spain, but for somebody purchasing hoping to get continual on-line Spanish conversation, there may be a bit of disappointment.
on 27 June 2013
This kit is great for learning Spanish. I loaded all five discs onto my Mac and the set-up was straight forward.
Progress your learning at your own rate, scores are maintained to enable one to assess progress, the scores may be reset to enable one to improve on previous learning sessions. Enable other members of the family to join the learning process too using their unique log-on option. Computer Based Learning is great for kids and biggies too, the mistakes you make are are not shared so don't be shy about making them. Repeat learning sessions as often as one wishes and if like me, in my late sixties, this option is most useful. A great deal of thought has gone into the development of this packge.
on 23 January 2013
Excellent, user friendly although a bit pricey. The voice recognition function works extremely well and makes the learning process more fun and effective. I have the Linguaphone product also but seldom use it, it simply is not as immersive.
on 15 August 2012
I was sceptical about purchasing this product due the price and some reviews. I decided to buy all five levels, since it worked out cheaper than if I was to buy each level at a time. After having used rosetta stone for just over 3 weeks (I spend about 30mins-1hour every day) I have already grasped a few basic phrases in Spanish and am able to say what people wear, basic greeting phrases and few other useful bits. The concept of Rosetta stone seems to be immersing the user in the language, which I think they have done well. With the new totale 4 version, you even have online access to virtual lessons with native spanish speaker, which is great to try and improve pronunciation skills. Overall I think this is a very comprehensive language software bundle, that will help beginners move to an intermediate or intermediate-highly skilled level of Spanish. After completing 75% of level 1, I already have the confidence to try and converse a few words in Spanish with Spanish-speaking people. I personally would recommend this product, however I do wish the price would come done a little, as it works out at around 70-80 pounds per level.
on 3 March 2012
Rosetta Stone gets a lot of unfair criticism on various review sites on the internet and it's usually from people who seem half-hearted about learning a language or expect it to be some magical pill that'll instantly give them the ability to speak another language. I wish some of these people would get real.

Learning another language takes a lot of time and effort. Simply studying the first level isn't enough, nor should you expect it to be. What Rosetta Stone does well is demystify the language you're learning and present it in everyday situations using what is essentially an expensive visual flash card system, one that for me works better than other methods.

I've nearly completed level two and feel that my Spanish level is improving all the time. I try and do an hour everyday, two if possible, plus watch some Spanish TV on the internet (Telemadrid.es is my favourite). Already, I'm starting to understand what's going on in some programmes and I've still got another three levels to go.

Rosetta Stone isn't perfect, but you know what? No product on the market is. In my opinion, Rosetta Stone is the best there is right now, a conclusion I've come to after using many other products such as Michel Thomas, numerous textbooks, Linguaphone, part-time evening courses at a local college (never again), plus others. It's the only product that has kept me motivated.

No product on the market right now is going to make you fluent in speaking your target language because they are all designed to improve your receptive skills (listening and reading). Only interacting with native speakers in the real world will bring fluency in speaking. I know after studying the first two levels that my speaking ability isn't going to be great when I've finished all five levels. This is simply because I don't have anybody to practice with and it's the spontaneity and thinking on your feet that unrehearsed real-life conversation brings that will ultimately improve my speaking fluency. However, I know that my listening, reading and pronounciation skills will be a solid intermediate level when I've completed all five levels. I can already read Spanish to a lower intermediate level with my listening skills not far behind.

The online activities are good, if a little light on content and a tad pricey, especially considering how expensive the initial product is. I really like the stories with audio and wish there were more. Maybe there will be at the higher levels.

It gets a little boring at times, which is when I'll watch some Spanish TV or listen to Spanish radio online to still keep me in the frame of mind of learning, without actively taking part. I'll then return to Rosetta Stone and this usually does the trick.

It's a comprehensive package that will improve your Spanish, if you're willing to put the work in on a regular basis. To all those who criticise Rosetta Stone so freely, I say complete at least three levels, preferably all five levels, then give your opinion. If your Spanish still hasn't improved, then by all means, moan til your heart's content. I'm pleased with what I have experienced so far.
33 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Rosetta Stone TOTALe Spanish course is, in a lot of ways, much like any other language course I've tried. You will find all the usual methods and tools for learning, including 'On-The-Go' lessons to download to your MP3 player, a 'Free Head Set' and voice recognition software, and so on and so forth.

They all seem much of a muchness to me, however this Rosetta Stone course does differ in one way. And it's a difference that is potentially massive: it offers you live lesson with native speakers of the language... OK. Just sit there and take that in for a second because, in all honesty, it's a pretty revolutionary development in software language lessons.

Every software language course I've tried has left me feeling that it would be better used as an additional tool alongside 'proper lessons', as opposed to a 'total learning solution'. With the addition of these live lessons, Rosetta Stone could be about to change all that.

The live lessons aren't perfect but I fell they're a huge step forward for this type of course. For me it's enough to just give this product the edge over its competitors and other language courses I've tried, all though, all in all, nothing else is radically different.
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The RosettaStone courses are absolutely brilliant. They are designed based on the way we learn our first languages, through the use of pictures, words and sounds, without translation. So you learn the word for red by seeing red things, rather than being shown the two words for red. It's a very clever way of building the connections in your head, so that the word just becomes another part of your vocabulary. It involves repetition and it takes a slow but incremental path to teaching you a wider vocabulary so taht you absorb the language properly. It also features sections where you must speak, so that you can master pronunciation. To this end, and this is brilliant, a headphone set with microphone is included, and it's quite a nice one too. So the high cost is weighted against what you're receiving, which is a comprehensive course for learning the Spanish language.

I can honestly say after doing a curtailed year of Spanish at school and various refresher courses down the years, this is the best way to learn the language, short of going to live in Spain!
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have heard about Rosetta Stone and decided to challenge my ageing brain to attempt a new learning style. The first problem was it took ages to install on my (not too slow) computer. Then I was informed there were updates available - and it proceeded to double the time before I could even register for the learning course.

However, I have now completed the first lesson and the teaching style is quite easy, yet clever, immediately throwing the learner into participating in the language. I did rather well, for a first attempt, but I do not have vast amounts of free time to immerse myself in the learning challenge, in one go. So I await, eagerly, my next session: first to see what the old brain has retained; second to continue the challenge!

The course runs to five levels and, I imagine will become much more challenging. There is now the facility to learn via the "cloud," and as one progresses through the course there are options to participate in live on-line conversations, and games. I look forward to this 'confirming my learning' approach with excitement and trepidation.

Although I can envisage creating a sound basic Spanish language, through Rosetta Stone's course I feel the price is quite steep. However, if I can visit Barcelona next year, and hold my own in some basic conversation, I will be very pleased.

See one answered question