Customer reviews

on 22 August 2017
Heard originally on Jarvis Cocker's Radio 6 Music programme. A wonderful work; three versions of 'El Cant De La Sibil-La'- Latin, Provencal and Catalan. Wonderful record!
on 4 March 2017
Quite unlike anything else I have listened to before. Good notes.
on 18 August 2013
Once again Jordi Savall - together with the late-lamented Montserrat Figueras - have opened our ears to a strange musical world that (I should guess) was unknown to the average music-lover; and of course with his habitual masterly musicianship.
Here he directs three versions of the 'Song of the Sibyl'. What is their provenence? Few of us who have roared out "David cum Sybilla" in the Dies Irae, perhaps in Verdi's great Requiem outburst, have bothered to consider these words' relevance, unless perhaps raised in the Catholic faith. Here Savall presents three versions (from Majorca, Valencia and Catalonia) of the Song of the Sybil, which was widely sung formerly across medieval Europe - and especially more recently in Spain - at Matins at Christmas time; and can still be so heard at the Cathedral at Palma de Mallorca.
These are revelatory performances which everyone should try to hear.
on 25 October 2016
I first heard a track from this on Radio 3's Late Junction about 6 years ago and added to my wish list. I bought a copy recently and wish I'd not left it so long; it's austere, hypnotic and compelling music, not for everyday listening, but when I am feeling particularly depressed about the world (Brexit blues for example) this is one cd that offers some kind of consolation. With the current political climate this cd should get a lot of airing. If you need more there is another cd by Savall et co. which is similarly moving.
on 2 January 2013
The Song of the Sibyl is a hidden gem. Although banned by the Catholic Church, the tradition of singing the piece continued in the vernacular across Spain. This is one of the best versions.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 April 2016
The choir is excellent, very moving music. Personally I would have preferred a more delicate voice than Ms. Figueras who on occasions can be a bit strident and coarse on the ear.
on 14 January 2016
Beautiful rendition of the Song of the Sybil in three versions, Latin, Provencal and Catalan. Montserrat Figueras has a lovely voice.
on 3 January 2014
I downloaded the MP3 version so no sleeve notes. Heard it first on the BBC's Early Music Show and loved it's almost mournful qualities...beautiful singing from the late Montserrat Figueras. All three 'Sibyls' have their own individual charm but the final Catalunya is my favourite. This album will appeal to any who enjoy their early music slightly more ethereal.
on 2 April 2014
I bought this at random and am so glad I did. It is really soothing and relaxing but also varied. The voices are beautiful. Makes me feel like I am a cathedral.
on 14 January 2015