on 22 October 2004
This is a great book which I highly recommend. It explains everything in very simple terms making it easy to get your head round. I am a nursing student and used it to help me through my anatomy and physiology exam. It was fantastic for helping me to lay the foundations needed to get to grips with some of the more complicated aspects of a&p. That said it was not as detailed as I would have needed to completely get me through the exam. I found it worked well as a book to read before looking at the more detailed and technical text books which are a lot more daunting.
It uses lots of every day examples to make things easier to understand and remember. For example it likens the negative and positive feedback systems within the body to a thermostat like you might have in your home which will only make changes if the environmental temperature changes.
Makes anatomy & physiology very accessible.
11 comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2011
Before embarking on a Physiotherapy degree next year, I was starting from scratch learning Anatomy, given the last time I did Biology was 1st year of O levels in 1986. This book is good at explaining the major systems of the body, step by step. However, if like me, you are starting with a very limited knowledge, I don't think this book is any substitute for attending a class.
on 21 December 2006
This book is really good at getting someone from basic biology to understanding how the body works. The book flows through from cells to organs and then onto how the organs work together, just so that you can still be alive to read this review!

It does try to make light of things, with jokes here and there (you may even giggle at some of them too) and also lots of examples to help things sink-in.
on 12 April 2007
As with all Dummies books, this one is excellent. Covers all areas of Anatomy and Physiology from A'Level and through to at least 2nd Year Degree level. Physiological Systems and Anatomy are explained in a humorous way with many well thought out analigies to really give you a understanding of complex subjects. once again if you are doing A'Level or starting a degree in any human based science then this is a must have. Superb
on 7 October 2010
This book really is not suitable for the Kindle. The imges are too small, the layout isn't great and reading this on the Kindle is not an experience I'd wish to repeat.
Good book, but not for the Kindle.
on 29 October 2008
This is a very interesting book, and certainly succeeds in providing a good introduction to the wonders of the human body.

The previous reviewers on here seemed to love this book, and while I found it a good read, I would like to mention a few minor annoyances that prevented it from earning a top rating from me.

Firstly: anatomy books need to have a lot of pictures or diagrams. While this book does have some, I felt that there weren't nearly enough. More often that not, the uninitiated reader is given a text description, and left to draw a picture in their head (or look it up somewhere else).

Secondly, the book has far, far too many cross references, in the form of text in brackets referring the reader to an earlier/later chapter/section/paragraph. Though the author states at the start that the book is designed to be read in any order, this overuse of references really breaks up the flow - and is, in any case, not necessary, as there is perfectly good table of contents at the front, and an index at the back!

Thirdly, terms are sometimes used before they're defined, which can be a little confusing.

Finally, the author tries to lighten the mood by use of puns and jokes. I'm sure that lots of readers will enjoy her sense of humour. I, regrettably, found it quite annoying.

So to summarise: a comprehensive beginners' guide to the human body, let down by some minor annoyances.
on 27 December 2011
It is brilliant, really helps me with my course work, and helps me to understand, as some text books are full of jargon, this is put in to simple terms, delivery was also very speedy. thank you.
on 14 April 2016
I purchased this book as an easy read before embarking on a nursing degree. There is a lot of information contained within this book though it is easy to read with very clear diagrams. A great book which arrived quickly. Recommended.
on 9 October 2015
Great book written in a light hearted manner. Bought this for my wife who is doing a course but pleased to say that our son is also reading it as it's helping with his science / biology study at school. Overall good information, well written in a quirky and light hearted manner.
on 13 July 2015
Written in an easy to understand style, detail is good and this book is a logical first step for both students of First Air and just curious owners who wish to know and understand how their body works. Coz if you understand what bits do what and why and how they affect other bits; you have a better chance of maintaining or fixing it.