Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 13 February 2015
I was hoping to give this a significantly higher score, maybe a touch ambitious for a budget boom pole... However, from a name like Rode I expected quality all the same.

Compared to an adapted painters ceiling pole (as seen on many a YouTube video) it looks more professional, only because it's black, has a foam grip and a 3/8 thread on one end. However, it's many times the price, even that as sold by Amazon (I've seen for much more elsewhere). The materials and manufacturing don't really differ that much to justify the price differential. Like all photographic/video gear, especially when it's aimed at the pro market (not really suggesting that this pole is), there's an added value to the purchase price that makes you think that someone is making a absolute killing. In my opinion this is one of those cases.

The tip of the pole has a 3/8 thread with a couple of rubber spacers which are pretty useless to be honest. They're too soft so any mic clamp just waves around. This is made worse, on my pole at least, by the fact that this machined solid threaded part is held onto the hollow pole by a rather feeble pin in a way that it wobbles slightly. The pin is so loose that if you tap the side of the pole it falls out and the threaded part can fall out of the end of the pole! The Eggsnow Camera Microphone Shockmount (excellent BTW) that I bought at the same time has a handle/adapter that is foam covered and matches the foam grip of the pole nicely. This has a mic 5/8 thread on one end that attaches to the shock mount itself. At the other end there's a 3/8 inch thread, a perfect match for the one on the pole. However, the threaded part has no thread on the bottom 4-5mm which will add load onto the thread in the aluminium bodied Eggsnow part which has a reasonable 8mm or so of thread in the hole (it's hollow beyond that). Whilst I appreciate that for engineering reasons the thread on the pole can't go all the way to the bottom the depth that's not threaded is unacceptable.

As I have the means to put these issues right and make it acceptably usable for my purpose I will not be returning the pole to Amazon. Though I must say that I'm disappointed, this is the first Rode product I have purchased. I'm new to videography (long time stills shooter, previously pro) and whilst I have already purchased a couple of budget mics, HTDZ HT-81 and a Sony lav (both of which I'm happy with), I will hopefully be stepping up to better kit as I progress. Rode will now probably be off the short-list when that comes around if this is an indication of the quality of their products.

With a bit of workshop fettling this will make a technically acceptable boom pole. However, I was naturally expecting this without having to do some engineering work of my own. As a consequence of my experience I wouldn't recommend this boom pole. I was even toying with the notion of only giving it one star.
on 7 June 2014
I didn't want to pay £80 for the standard Rode boom so I bought this as soon as I saw it, especially since I have just a light mic to hold for my DSLR videos.

I haven't used it on set yet but if feels quite solid to be so light.
Just a notice: the boom comes with a 5/3 screw and you most likely will need to buy the shock mount as well if you want to use it.
It doesn't really make sense buying just the boom.
on 6 October 2016
Very light but sturdy. However I have edited my original 5 star review because after a few weeks the locking mechanism has failed in one of the extensions. The fit is stiff enough for it to still be usable but this is not acceptable at this price.
on 26 December 2011
The boompole was delivered by Inta-Audio. I selected express delivery and it came in 2 or 3 days via parcel force. It was extremely well packaged!

I have a Rode VideoMic, as does the customer below, and I needed to mount. You need to purchase the RODE MINIJACK EXTENSION CABLE FOR VIDEOMIC 3M for this to work.

Here are instructions for booming:

1) Take your mic - handle it carefully - and hold the boompole vertically. Make sure it is completely compacted (not extended at all).
2) There are two holes at the bottom of the VideoMic, the BIGGER one is for boompole use.
3) Remove the rubber on the top of the boompole, so it exposes the black metal.
4) Place the mic on top of the hole, and try and twist it round (the boompole) being careful to handle the mic cautiously.
5) Once it is securely on, you can begin use. Remember - if you feel the slightest wobble, tighten it up!

I hope this was of use. The boompole is faultless, with a comfy rubber bit that you are obviously meant to hold.
on 14 December 2016
Good quality pole - survived being battered around in a suitcase on a long haul flight and getting bashed around in a soft tripod bag whilst bumping along some very 'off-road' dirt tracks.

Easy to use, twist to lock/unlock each section. Reasonably light weight and definitely long enough for what we needed.
on 9 November 2016
Not much to say about this, it's a very high quality and sturdy boompole. Enables me to get my mics in nice and close and perfect for any amateur film maker.

I've also used it to extend my gimbal which I have my Yi 4k camera on (like a GoPro), makes it look like I'm using a crane shot sometimes, great fun.
on 22 October 2014
Lightweight in itself and seems sturdy enough for my needs. Delivery was excellent (fast). Not tried it yet. It looks like a small tripod ball joint could be fitted without adding too much weight to the end. This would aid the movement and direction of the microphone? Recommended
on 30 April 2016
I could not believe the high-quality of this Mike boom Paul considering it was seemingly very cheap. As you might expect from Rode it is actually a very high quality product and fits perfectly with the Rode microphones. We used it all day on a shoot, And at no time was it tiring to hold the pole higher up in the air to place the microphone in range of the subjects. I don't know what we would've done without it, as it was a very windy day and the microphone had to be very close to the subject and all will sound would otherwise have been lost
on 24 February 2014
I use this for film making at uni with my Rode Videomic with Rycote mount.
It's brilliant and i've had no problems with it. Was a lot of packaging and a massive box but i'm not complaining as it came in great condition.
on 17 January 2014
Excellent build quality, good grip and very light,
the only down is the price, which i think is a bit overpriced, but there`s what you pay for a good quality product i guess.
Good packaging and quick delivery.