on 4 January 2016
Memoirs are not really my thing. I dip in and out of them sporadically rather than being an avid reader. However, every once in a while I find an autobiography that really impresses me; Tin Fey’s Bossypants really impressed me.

With her inimitable sass, Fey walks you through key moments in her life flashing you a sardonic smile along the way. What is really great is that Fey peels back the layers of “celebrity” and lets you see the person behind it. She doesn’t do this with sad stories, tragic past and constant failures but by showing just how damn hard she worked to get to the level of success she is privy to.

It would be cheesy to say that her story is inspirational because to be honest we all want the lazy way to success – for it to just fall into our hands – but it is uplifting to see someone who seems so together saying that she is just human.

It is probably due to this level-headedness that makes Fey so likeable.

With her book Bossypants Fey adds another quiver to her bow of talent.

Bossypants by Tina Fey is available now.

Follow Tina Fey (@NotTinaFey) on Twitter.
on 28 February 2015
Probably rather unusually for a reader of this book, I'e had very little exposure to Tina Fey beyond the ubiquitous Sarah Palin sketches that did the rounds a few years ago. I picked it up because I'd seen a few quotations from it that I found both clever and amusing - if you're debating whether this is for you, I'd suggest you take a look at some of them on Goodreads and see if they work for you.

"“Politics and prostitution have to be the only jobs where inexperience is considered a virtue. In what other profession would you brag about not knowing stuff? “I’m not one of those fancy Harvard heart surgeons. I’m just an unlicensed plumber with a dream and I’d like to cut your chest open.”"

or

“So, my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism, or ageism, or lookism, or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: “Is this person in between me and what I want to do?” If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you’re in charge, don’t hire the people who were jerky to you.”

The book is a mixture of autobiography and musings on life, particularly around comedy/acting and being a woman. It's all delivered with a healthy dose of humour, but parts of it end up being quite moving and profound too. I wouldn't say it either had me rolling around on the floor shaking with laughter or re-examining my life, but it's good fun and worth a read whether you're an existing fan or not.
on 15 July 2015
Ok, so Tina Fey rocks, let's just get that out there right now, she is one of my total idols, in fact me and Liz Lemon could be socially awkward twins.

I first read this a couple of years back, I had seen Tina in Mean Girls and had started binge watching 30 Rock. I love it, it is smart and funny and nerdy all at the same time.

All of the cast of 30 Rock are great but Liz Lemon, she has all the best lines! Who can forget Meat Cat and Cheesy Blasters?

Anyway I saw this book and wanted to learn more about the enigma that is Tina Fey, she is genuinely funny and I hoped that any book of hers would be the same.

Thankfully it is, it is hilarious, sweet and honest. Charting Tina's life from awkward teen to screen queen via motherhood, it is a great read.

Full of snort-worthy passages - my favourite would have to be the Mother's prayer - choose to read this alone if you are a sprayer when you laugh!
on 20 September 2017
A really interesting book by Tina Fey, giving details about her growing up and her experiences as she worked on various shows. I was interested to read background details of 30 Rock and Saturday Night Live, which are given in good detail and very much in an 'I was there' form, giving details I was really interested to find out (and some I felt could have been left out!). Written in an enthusiastic way, the book is a good read and gives interesting insights into the motivation behind the shows seen on TV.
on 23 January 2016
I wasn't sure what to expect when I first opened the box, but started reading it the day that it arrived. Within 24-hours I had completed the book and reread a couple of chapters. Ultimately, I didn't get anything else done that day, but that is just evidence that from the first page I was hooked.
Although not bed-wetting hilarious all the way through, it had laugh out loud moments that I read out loud to whoever was near me at the time - there were a lot of them.
There was a lovely balance between the humour and heartfelt. Especially when talking about issues faced by girls.

Overall, this was a fantastic read and I highly recommend.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2016
What can I say about this that has not already been said already? Highly actual lol funny and not typing lol funny without even smiling so pretending to lol funny. I have been an admirer of Ms Fey for a while and being from the UK not many people I know seem to know who she is until I say Mean Girls but she's so much more than that. For someone who's attention span has shortened so much that she had to come back to this review a while later to finish it, this held it firmly until the end of the book and I always looked forward to delving back into it after leaving it for too long. I won't be donating this one to the charity shop, it's a keeper.
on 12 April 2012
I am a big 30 Rock fan and that's the only place that I know Tina Fey from. The shows are unbelievably witty and laugh out loud funny and as Tina is the heart & soul behind it all I was excited to read her book.

Don't get me wrong, the book is very good and in places laugh out loud funny but it's written very erratically and I often found myself a bit lost and not really getting the main point of what she was trying to say.

The main highs for me were;
* 'Nazi Teat' women (so well written and so perceptive of women who look down at other women on the subject of Breast or Bottle - I just wish I had read it when I chose not to breastfeed)
* Her experience of being on an official photo shoot and being all made up like a model (so normal and down-to-earth)
* Her opinions on Photoshop (very refreshing and honest)

Going back to 30 Rock again, it was great to see her give so much credit to Alec Baldwin for making it a real success - he really does give the show a fantastic edge (in fact, it would be nothing without him really despite how wonderful Tina is).

So my conclusion is read it only if you are a mega fan of hers otherwise you will think that some strange woman on very strong drugs has just decided to do a massive brain dump and call her it her Life Story!
on 10 April 2012
I found this book uncomplicatedly enjoyable, having never watched Tina Fey in anything at all. It's reasonably light (nothing bad happens), extremely funny, it includes references to politics and entertainment which I mostly followed and it didn't really matter that I had no background knowledge about 'SNL' or '30 Rock'.

Last night my partner got cross and told me that it was time to put this away so I would stop laughing to myself and peace would reign. I was then late for work this morning as I was unable to put this down and finished it in a couple of days. I now miss reading it already. However, it has left me with the feeling of having borrowed some of Tina Fey's 'attitude', which I like.

I am now going to give '30 Rock' a try as 'Bossypants' appealed greatly. I have already recommended it to a couple of people.
on 28 July 2015
I have actually not read this one yet... BUT I did end up listening to it on an audio book, thought it was so funny that I HAD to buy the actual book too.

This book is a few years old now, but still super funny, and honest and makes me love Tina Fey even more. If you're not a fan, you'll probably find it funny anyway, but I do think books like these are mainly for the fans. And I think all fans would love this.
on 13 May 2013
I really enjoyed the first part of the book where Tina discussed her childhood and everything leading up to SNL. Not only is she a great writer but the story itself was really entertaining and funny. Towards the end of the book though (and when she was discussing SNL) it sort of became more of a "name-dropper". Surely she didn't intend it that way but for someone that didn't know (or really care about) the names or producers and writers from SNL - it kind of dragged on. The end really left me hoping that she would go back to the witty, funny style of writing that she had in the beginning of the book.
One person found this helpful