on 10 December 2016
I read the paperback version of this book and have found myself reading the preface alone again and again. The book is essentially a complete manual to enlightenment so is an in-depth book on Buddhism and meditation, but I found it very practical and inspiring. I love that it was offered as a free e-book so I can listen to it when I'm travelling etc and slowly learn more about these profound Buddhist concepts. I would recommend reading it slowly and really trying to practice the instructions. I have never read such a clear presentation of the Buddhist paths of Sutra and Tantra.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 August 2016
Think for yourself.

Those people with an axe to grind should practice more than talk.

This is another remarkable book by a remarkable teacher. Highly recommended. I am a professional therapist working for 20 years in psychologies. I know a cult when I see one and this author and his students are sincere practitioners and are far from being a cult.

I don't think you'll find a more clear presentation of the Dharma.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2017
I wasn't very impressed with the structure or the writing style in this book, nor the general discussion from the foundations of Buddhism in to the application to modern life. The content did appear sound and quite interesting.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 July 2014
In this first book, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso explains very clearly the entire path to enlightenment according to the great Tibetan teacher Je Tsongkhapa. It is set out logically, step by step, how to start at the beginning and gradually progress, as one step leads to the next. So we have practical advice on how to appreciate our life for the opportunities it presents, how to understand karma and how to get rid of our selfish minds, right up to a very clear presentation of Buddhas teachings on emptiness.
The book avoids lots of technical terms, instead the author explains what he means by familiar English words. As someone who has studied quite a lot of different presentations of Buddhas teachings, I found it very easy to read but didn't feel I was missing out on any important meanings.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2013
I think with any type of philosophy or belief system, it is important to find what works for you. Ad is works for me! The simplicity of this book makes these concepts so accessible. I have spent a long time working through this volume as there is so much 'food for thought' that I need to take a few days to get to grips with each idea, use it and see how it changes my thinking. It is so powerful in its simplicity and has given me insight into these ancient philosophies that I have found difficult to grasp with other publications.
Thank you for this book - it has given me energy and given me a taste to explore further.
on 18 February 2017
Although titled Modern Buddhism this text promulgates old ideas and approaches to Tibetan Buddhism. Some are quite useful and some are clearly in conflict with modern science but even though a lot of the ideas are wrong, they can still lead to a tight outcome.
on 11 December 2016
As I've got more deeply interested in Buddhism and read other books this has been an essential reference book. I rely upon this book to provide clear guidance on the correct path "soup to nut". Each time I go back to modern Buddhism a new layer of insight arises. I love being able to access the book on all my devices!
on 20 August 2014
Wonderful read , I learnt so much from this book. I read this when I began to show an interest in buddhsim. I have read others since but found this to be the best one for anyone who wishes to know more and just starting an interest in the subject. It has helped me enjoy better days and a new way of thinking.
on 25 June 2015
It's slow-going, as it's deep stuff, but it was recommended to me by a Buddhist who teaches others, as the best book to read. I think the hardest part are all the long names!! But I can see that it's great for beginners and easy to understand.
on 21 June 2015
Explains sutra clearly and simply - I have not really ventured into tantra as I hoped to gain a better understanding of sutra first. However this book encourages us to study both together and as a result it has helped me gain a better understanding. This book along with volume 2 covering Tantra and volume 3 covering Prayers gives the reader a complete introduction to all aspects of Buddhism.