• 5

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 December 2012
After a very long 8 year hiatus, Lamb have finally resurfaced to release a fifth studio album, simply titled "5". After such a long period of time away from the music industry, their combined sound has never sounded so fresh and mature which is a pleasant surprise. "5" is an accomplished album filled with a variety of sounds and styles.

The opener "Another Language" is a very uplifting song with positive, thoughtful lyrics and captivating Electro Pop arrangements. "Butterfly Effect" projects a darker ambiance with heavier Techno/Dance influenced elements, but it still remains mesmeringly beautiful and accessible. "Build A Fire" has an anthemic Electro Pop/Rock appeal to it and is interpreted with grit and passion by Lou Rhodes. The atmospheric "Wise Enough" is an Electro Pop ballad with suave and soothing arrangements whilst the energetic "Existential Itch" is a short Jazz inspired song with Funk elements. "Strong The Root" has a distinctive Drum and Bass feel to it with a heavy bassline and a much darker club appeal than the other compositions. "Rounds" is another elegant acoustic guitar led ballad with sweet vocals harmonies and soft electronic arrangements whilst "She Walks" is another mesmerising creation with Trip-Hop stylings and haunting vocals. The explosive "Last Night The Sky" has a Folk Rock sound with a powerful drum beat and majestic arrangements whereas "The Spectacle" is a soft piano led ballad with glorious string arrangments and a fragile melody. The bonus track "Back To Beginning", co-written with and featuring Damien Rice, blends his Irish Folk sound with their more electronic vibe which creates a truly magical moment.

"5" is an unexpected return to form for Lamb and follows on nicely from their previous studio album "Between Darkness And Wonder" released back in 2003. Sometimes it does help to take a break from something good and come back to it after a while as it can be enjoyed even more throughly. I am glad Lamb are back and hope their next album is just as elegant and stylish.
on 17 February 2013
As a fan of Lamb for many years I was anticipating this album in the expectation there may not be any more from them. From being held captivated by the first few bars of 'Five' from 'Fear of Fours' I have listened to Lamb full blast on my HiFi more than any other band. Not disappointed with this album. Classic 'Lamb' in terms of haunting melodies and that jazz/dance rhythm I have grown to love. Looking forward to 'Lamb 6'..................or call it what they want, I'll buy it!!! T
on 26 May 2014
Stiller.

That's right - Ben Stiller is not on this album.

Adore this album on a 'deep' level and there are even songs that my 10 year old daughter insists I turn up in the car.

INCREDIBLE production, haunting and beautiful vocals and beautiful SONGS which is what its all about!

Geniuseseseses at their best!
on 6 August 2011
This is the First Lamb record i have bought, and am very pleased. It is a grower, with some lovely songs. It is difficult to describe but reminds me a bit of Gravenhurst with a Female singer( who has a strong clear voice). I will buy another of their albums and have already recomended it to friends to BUY.
on 20 April 2012
Really pleased I bought this album and glad they are producing music again. Can't wait for the next album!

The album kind of reminds me of some of my favourite electronica from the mid 90s like Sneaker Pimps and Olive...
on 3 June 2013
Love Lamb, Love their music. Amazon Downloading is always easy and very safe. Music turns up in iTunes quickly without having to wait any time at all...
on 14 June 2011
I'm so glad they're back making music togther and what an album, every track on it is fantastic. My stand out tracks are Another language, last night the sky and rounds (which sounds a little like cocteau twins)

Also, you can go directly on to Lambs site and order it form there, at a much lower cost.

Do yourself a favour and purchase this album.
on 16 June 2011
When I first heard this album I did not feel it was perhaps as strong as some of Lamb's other work. The music seemed less intricate and more subtle, certainly less DnB than some of their other offerings. I have now completely reneged on my initial response though; in many respects I actually think this album is one of their strongest. It feels a much more grown up version of previous albums.

As ever, the song order is perfect and takes the listener on a journey. It is not an album I can skip through as I feel I have missed a vital part of the musical development.

Lou Rhodes vocal style is truly unique and the lyrics are very poetic.
Bass heavy 'Butterfly Effect' and 'She Walks' are my favourites, as are the haunting 'build a fire' and the inspiring lyrics of Wise Enough and Another Language are also very beautiful. The collaboration with Damian Rice on Back to Beginning was an unusual but welcome surprise!

It is quite simply some of the best electronica I have ever heard. Buying it you will not leave you disappointed.
on 1 May 2015
Sound is fantastic, lyrics are magical. Best number on this album is Butterfly Effect.
on 26 June 2012
I hate I have to say something about music, and I just can't give my vote. It's five, for me :D Please look for more complete critics elsewhere :)