Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 16 July 2012
This book is only mildly engaging. There is a small attempt to dramatise by inventing a unfortunate girlfriend. An implausible amount happens in a 24 hour period on A & E. Overall a bit of a patchwork of events loosely threaded together. Would not especially recommend.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2013
I really enjoyed this book; although there were no real surprises as I have worked in the NHS and my husband is a doctor. It's a shame that the government's health department probably hasn't read this book, they might learn something about appropriate ways to save time and money rather than the silly targets and ideas they come up with. They should try talking to the staff working there to get some real understanding of ways to improve the NHS (all staff not just the front line)!
on 23 August 2013
i thought this book was brilliant, I couldn't put it down. even though there are serious parts to it it is also very funny. it makes you realize just how hard our doctors and nurses work. I have read most of the Babylon anon books and this one was the best with air Babylon coming a close second. buy this book you wont regret it!
I have loved all the other Babylon books and waited with anticipation for the latest to arrive.

What a disappointment. If this is anything like what actually happens then it makes me wonder at the sad state of the NHS. Judging, criticising and mocking people. It's just so unprofessional.

The main character drove me absolutely mad. He was racist and liked to 'have a go' at obese people (mainly about how they were costing the NHS so much money), but then went out smoking! Pot. Kettle. Black. And moaning about his £40,000 salary...oh, my heart bleeds.

It infuriated me. I didn't find this book at all entertaining and I suggest you give it a miss. Try 'Air Babylon', 'Wedding Babylon' and 'Hotel Babylon' instead.
on 19 April 2012
Item received promptly and well packaged. Item clearly shows that it has been used (a bit dirty, creased and corners turned up). This is probably to be expected of a used item. Overall I am happy with this purchase.
on 30 July 2011
Loved the book. I couldn't put it down, when I finished it I didn't want it to end and more stories to be in it. Its amazing what goes on in one shift in a doctor's life. I work in a hospital myself and can totally relate to some of the extracts in the book for example the parking.
I much thoroughly enjoyed this book and others that are in the Babylon series. Imogen Edwards-Jones is a very creative and talented writer. I am amazed how she can adapt her writing skills into a wide range of occupations, environments and industries that are all different.
Overall I am very pleased with this book and will continue to read more of these and even recommend them to my friends.
on 16 May 2011
Exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure. You'll need a strong dose of drugs to recover, but fortunately you'll know exactly what to take. It's the book of the year so far, and somehow perfect for summer in a way that's difficult to define; perhaps it's because it will make your job feel like a holiday by comparison!

Order in bulk as you'll want friends to start reading it before you finish the first chapter. Seriously.
on 30 May 2014
I have read the whole Babylon series and this was probably my favourite. The book is written from the perspective of a newly qualified trainee doctor, who you quickly began to sympathise with.
The day described goes from amusing tales of patients, how long and hard nhs staff work, shocking emergency situations, to insights of staff that will annoy you a little! Gripping book, included a bit of everything.
on 25 September 2011
Absolutely brilliant. I could not put it down. A real eye opener as to what really happens in a busy A&E department, and lots more!
on 25 April 2013
I picked this up having forgotten that several years back I'd already shot through Air Babylon at the same speed. This series (for I guess they have to be called that) is a cocktail of hilarity and horror - both of which have maximum impact when you consider that you, yes, YOU - may be on the receiving end of their ministrations. Air Babylon - you tremble at what could go wrong for you on the flight or the gruesome secrets of the crew - which must be pretty outrageous given what you have been reading; likewise having read Hospital Babylon one would go that extra mile (assuming you had the choice!) NOT to end up in the hands of the NHS; it's drug-and-booze-pickled, sex-fiend doctors; and the potential pitfalls of it's gargantuan machinery and hygiene horrors. My dream is that Imogen Edwards-Jones next attempts GOVERNMENT Babylon - now that would make the mind boggle!