VINE VOICEon 23 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're really serious about learning a new language then Rosetta Stone has to be one tool that will help you achieve your goal. It's still hard work and dedication that is required but it enables you to progress your skill in a structured way. All the learning resources are easily accessible wherever you have a computer, disc player and internet access. After 30 years of not using my O level French this has allowed me to pick up where I left off. Highly recommended.
on 14 August 2011
I have been wanting to learn French forever. I finally purchased The Rosseta Stone package and I have not been disappointed. It is great, I am learning and my confidence wax and wanes but this package is great from the stories and games you can plan alone or with other online. I highly recommend this package to language enthusiasts.
on 2 September 2012
I have just started using Rosetta stone, Varun on customer service was brilliant helping me set it up, but for a beginner I'm finding it very hard, At the very beginning there are very long sentences that you are suppose to listen to and repeat There is no translation only pictures so you don't really know exactly what you are saying it's mostly guess work. I will continue with it, as I've spent so much money on it ... but i wished i hadn't been so hasty after I had read all the great reviews, I had join [...] a great little website completely FREE also teaches German, English and Spanish, has basically the same as Rosetta stone,lessons,games,quizzes,vocabulary, penpals and a chatroom I wish i had stuck with that ... be warned
44 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2013
I am trying very hard to acquire a language and this method of learning is working for me. Hearing, speaking and writing are all addressed in short exercises. There are lots of revision opportunities to remember what you have learned. Just a little every day and it is surprising how much I have retained!
on 21 March 2013
I bought this product with high hopes. I even purchased the additional levels. The problem is, it just doesn't work.

There are so many issues that a more technical person of languages could understand. I managed to get to level 5 and be able to do really well on the exams but not be able to speak any French with people and I was living in Paris. I studied Spanish via a different method (watching movies and speaking with people) and did much better in much shorter space of time.

For the £500 I paid I felt I got very little from it. For the hours I put in I should have been quite competent.

I think the main issue comes in that you only get static learning (looking at pics) and have to piece dynamic assumptions. you can cruise through the levels without really truly knowing the language or being able to communicate.
33 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2013
I really like this product as it teaches with pictures instead of just words. My only improvement would be to be able to pause the program to formulate a response as it is just to quick at the moment.
I would recommend this product to others.
on 13 November 2014
MY problem With TOTALe version 4 in French an Spanish is that I cannot get any technical help when I have contacted support, I am not able to phone outside the UK, and cannot connect to support online as my computer is not set up for this service. The programmes freeze when I am midway through a lesson and all sound disappears. The lack of support is bad. I am happy at the moment with the software
on 15 March 2013
This is most definitely the best language software I've used. However, it is certainly the most expensive. It is fun but the novelty can wear off, so you need to commit yourself to doing it 'a little and often'.

Levels 1-5 is a vast amount of information to take in, we bought ours a or two month ago and I'm approaching 75% of the way through level 1. I have seen an obvious improvement but try to make sure I do some each day. My wife has sometimes gone a few days without doing any and this has made her progress slow.

You won't be fluent without putting in the work and I'd imagine it'll take 6-8 months just to get through the levels. So yes, it is a lot of money, but there is a lot there and if you're committed then you'll learn. It does work.
on 6 May 2012
Having attempted to learn French many times over the years, I asked the wife to buy this for me for Christmas as a final last-ditch attempt to learn the language.

What struck me straight away was the way in which you are totally immersed into the language from the start. What particularly appeals to me is the manner in which the learning takes place. As an example you may be presented with four (similar) images and you may have to click on the correct image or speak the appropriate word. As you move through each section a familiar theme starts to establish itself, with frequent revisiting of elements that you have learnt before.

All-in-all I would say that this product excels in what it purports to do, and I personally have learnt more French from this product than I did in all the time I spent in French lessons at School!
on 28 July 2013
Needed to obtain a method of learning French, this was so easly to order, well priced and easy to use. We shall purchase Spanish then perhaps Italian later.