Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 December 2011
In a world where X-factor rubbish seems to dominate, thank God for something fresh and original. Mixing genres well, this is a cracking album. Get it for the car, for the living room, for fun.
on 1 November 2010
Heard one track on radio and got Son to trace what it was as I had no artist or title. When he found it the complete CD just made me feel happy, perhaps not the best music ever made but it certainly made me feel good and happy and perhaps I am getting old but there is not much music around that does that - for me anyway.
There seems to be a growing trend at the moment for albums full of good old fashioned big band swing, and this delightful little entry from Caro Emerald is one of the better ones in the rapidly growing field.

Primarily this is a real feel good album, with lots of bombastic raucous big band swing that sounds straight form the 1950s. But many of the songs have a real modern edge to the lyrics, giving us a delightful juxtaposition of the old ad new. Caro Emerald has a great voice, not perhaps as powerful as Imelda May, but with more nuance, colour and expression. A great album all round, a real joy to listen to.
on 17 April 2012
Heard her for the first time on Jools Holland after my girlfriend had heard her on Radio 2. We both liked her and I bought this album for her on Mother's Day (present from our daughter).

I don't think it has been taken off the CD player since. It has been played every day and even my daughter knows all the words now and sings along. Every track is so good, you can't stop dancing, or singing, or both.

Just good old fashioned feel good music!

Absolutely brilliant! Can't get enough of her. Hoping to see her live on the next tour.
on 5 August 2012
What a singer, what a show, this is just 100% pure awesomeness if you know the stuff Caro does then ive no need to carry on...but if you dont know then get this now, dont wait any longer...this is pure magic....not literally it is a music concert, wink wink....buy you will love it.Live in concert -cd+dvd+blu-ray- CARO EMERALD
on 5 October 2011
Criticisms first:
The scratching and electronic repeats are a strange production choice and seem out of place with the arrangements. I do find them jarring although they grate less on me after a few listens than they did to begin with.
Lyrically the album is very monotonous. The theme of practically every track is hordes of men who are, are assumed to be or just damn-well ought to be falling over themselves for the singers' attention.

I like the tunes though, Emerald's voice is fantastic and I find myself listening to this quite a bit, even though I bought it for my wife. Stuff I buy for myself tends to be downbeat more often than not but I actually really like the bouncy energy of a lot of these songs.

One more thing: This was recommended for my wife by Amazon on the grounds she likes Rumer. I don't see the similarity and - even though she and I like both - you might not necessarily. If I had to pick something similar (from our collection anyway) I'd say this album has a lot more in common with Imelda May than Rumer.
VINE VOICEon 8 January 2012
I've had the MP3 version of this excellent and catchy album for a while, so hadn't bought it on CD, but as I can't play MP3s in the car I was tempted by the offer of a free live DVD in the "Platinum Edition".

For once the DVD is excellent value and, if you've not yet bought the CD, I'd advise you spend the little extra for it (even if the audience seem a little muted in their response). As well as all the tracks from the CD, you get a few extras which are only available on live recordings.

I'm not sure if it's worth buying the CD again, just to get the DVD, but if you like live concerts on DVD it might well be.

Caro Emerald isn't Jazz, but she's distinctive and talented producing catchy, enjoyable pop - Love it for what it is rather than damning it for what it isn't.
The sexy and sultry Caroline Esmeralda van der Leeuw a.k.a Caro Emerald found herself hitting the big time with this album. Jazz singer Caro was hugely influenced by the likes of The Andrews Sisters and Billie Holiday, and this shows through to a certain extent on this album. This album is great to listen to, whether you normally listen to jazz or not.

A fusion to some extent of jazz and pop this is easy to listen to and immensely enjoyable. Unlike her new album this is slightly raw in places, whereas the newest one is perhaps a bit too smooth and commercial, thus giving this one greater appeal.

Ideal to listen to this is something that is great for anyone's music collection, andyes you can dance to this if you like.
on 20 July 2016
I bought this for a birthday present for my wife after hearing it playing in a customers house.
She agreed with me it's a great CD by a very talented professional performer.
Caro Emerald seems to have captured a style all of her own but with a jazzy 40s/50s sound to it.
Lovely to listen to.
on 25 August 2010
I rarely listened to a CD more than I listened to this one! I love the 30's atmosphere of many of the songs and I love Caro Emerald's voice and what she does with it.